Writing and Graphics

Discussion and games lounge

Moderators: Adeline Morior, Katherine Laurier, Lex Green, Ravenclaw Staff

Writing and Graphics

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:30 pm

Is anyone good at coming up with writing or graphics prompts? It's for a game I'm making, and i'm looking for tips on how to come up with them. I don't want suggestions for items, because I want everyone to be able to play the game, but tips and strategies for good ones that aren't too hard or too boring would be great!
Arianna Stonewater
My MC is a... Red Cap

Re: Writing and Graphics

Postby Leonie Hauri » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:55 pm

What sort of game are you making?
The Eagles are coming!
Leonie Hauri
My MC is a... Erumpent

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:37 pm

I'm having trouble coming up with graphic/writing prompts that weren't already done in other activities or in classes. For example, for the Dark Arts category I was going to have one of the graphics be to create your own death eater mask, but that is the term project for Death Eaters 101. So do i still do it, knowing that not everyone takes that class? Or should I not do it?

I don't necessarily want you to tell me what to do, because I want people to be able to participate, so what i'm looking for are tips on how to create writing and graphics prompts that aren't "write something related to this subject"
Arianna Stonewater
My MC is a... Red Cap

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:58 pm

One of the things I use when writing activities is google. It's given me a few ideas for writing prompts and discussion topics particularly for Book Nook and even an activity I helped create here on the Roost. I search for particular terms and ideas for prompts or activities related to those terms and go from there. For example, maybe you can turn the death eater mask into a robe instead? Sure death eaters tend to wear black, but since they're "gone" now, if a new generation rises up, maybe they want something a little different to wear. I'm absolutely thinking about the Galactic Empire to the First Order from The Force Awakens right now. You can find inspiration anywhere really and make a few twists so it's unique to your project/activity.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.” -Voltaire
Shiloh Adlar
My MC is a... Hag

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:25 am

Shiloh Adlar wrote:One of the things I use when writing activities is google.... I'm absolutely thinking about the Galactic Empire to the First Order from The Force Awakens right now. You can find inspiration anywhere really and make a few twists so it's unique to your project/activity.

Thanks, that's a great idea! Also, I'm all for anything inspired by Star Wars :D
Arianna Stonewater
My MC is a... Red Cap

Postby Prof. Polaris Black » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:12 pm

On the other side of the coin, you could go back in time for inspiration. Before they were Death Eaters, followers of Lord Voldemort were called the Knights of Walpurgis. They too would have a different appearance, dark mark and agenda. I once wrote a story about how a young Avery, Lestrange, McNair, Mulciber, and Nott created the shrake. And I too would be lost without the internet!
In memory of Polaris Black
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
Prof. Polaris Black
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:59 am

Polaris Black wrote:On the other side of the coin, you could go back in time for inspiration. Before they were Death Eaters, followers of Lord Voldemort were called the Knights of Walpurgis. They too would have a different appearance, dark mark and agenda. I once wrote a story about how a young Avery, Lestrange, McNair, Mulciber, and Nott created the shrake. And I too would be lost without the internet!

that's a very good point, thanks!!
Arianna Stonewater
My MC is a... Red Cap

Return to Below the Branches