Mischief Managed dicussion

Moderators: Prof. Alexander Brighton, Vanessa Tilley, Shadow Gaunt

Mischief Managed dicussion

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:41 pm

Hello pranksters!

Let us know what your thoughts on Mischief Managed! Did you enjoy it or not? Any interesting ideas it brought to mind?

Please post your comments below and we look forward to everyone's thoughts!

This task will be due on April 29 at 11:59 pm HOL time.

Siggy and avatar made by the wonderful Professor Scarlet for Slythmas!
Vanessa Tilley
My MC is a... Fire Crab

Re: Mischief Managed dicussion

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:20 pm

I thought this was really cute. I don't like the way Sirius or James were portrayed at all, but I liked Lupin and Peter, and I loved getting to see things like the Marauder's map and James' cloak again. I would have loved to really see the animagus forms, and i thought it was weird that Lupin had the scratches on his face the whole time.
Arianna Stonewater
My MC is a... Red Cap

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:33 am

The first and last thing I noticed was the setting. Where is that place? Look at the library! It's gorgeous! 8)

This comes between the short short and the Voldemort one as a favorite. I think that the actors were chosen fine, and were portrayed semi-convincingly as per canon. Why was Remus all scarred up?

A thing of great beauty was when the invisibility cloak was tossed onto Peter Pettigrew and he disappeared. YES! I actually went back and played it a couple times more.
*Avatar/Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*siggy-Boulet* Avatar-Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL."~Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Snidget

Postby Prof. Maxim Trevelyan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 pm

I like how I immediately liked the characterization right off the bat, I agree with previous posters that said they captured that quite nicely. Although, there were two things that immediately jumped at me. Sirius’ moustache and Peter’s lanky frame. It was a bit weird seeing moustache on a supposedly such a young person (or at least, I am not used to it, or maybe it just did not suit the actor) and from Peter’s portrayal in the movies, I thought he was also a bit pudgy in his youth as well. I was not that bothered by the scars on Remus’ face, though, I always figured they either came from Fenrir Greyback’s attack or he hurt himself in his youth before Wolfsbane was invented.

I absolutely loved, loved, and loved the set. It felt like they truly shot at Hogwarts, so props to them for either having a wicked green screen and an amazing editor, or finding a great set reminiscent of actual place where the original movies shot their scenes.

All the little details they managed to throw in were perfect and not too on the nose (Frank and Alice Longbottom, Slug Club, etc.). Specials effects were awesome, like throwing the invisibility cloak over Peter or all the magic they performed. It did not look…low budget, I guess, as with other fan films.

I did feel sorry for poor Peter, they treated him so badly and dismissively, you can kind of see where his resentment stems from, though in no way does it excuse his future actions.

Wonderful piece of fan movie!
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
My MC is a... Mackled Malaclaw

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:42 am

This is not one of my favorite, contrary to what others seem to have said. I couldn't get past the fact that Sirius had a mustache and in the Great Hall scene when Lily is pointing out Severus, the boy next to him as a full beard. They're in their 7th year at this time I believe, and even at 17 or 18, that's extremely rare for someone to have a beard like that. Or maybe not. I'm used to strict grooming guidelines I guess.

Also, James didn't feel right to me nor did Sirius and I think this had to do with the fact that they actually looked like older men playing high school aged and that felt really wrong to me, especially when Lily looks right for her age.

I thought Peter, though he was different than his character in the film and from what I remember him described in the books, was rather on point. They did make him out as kind of a complete idiot at a certain point when he starts walking away and one of the others has to grab him and lead him back in the right direction. That irked me some. I don't think Peter was an idiot. I think he was clever enough to fool people, so definitely not an idiot.

The setting for this film was absolutely great! It looked very real, and I can appreciate that aspect.

However, overall, I will not be watching this again for these reasons and others.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.” -Voltaire
Shiloh Adlar
My MC is a... Hag

Postby Prof. Gustavo Flores » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:10 pm

My general overview of this film is a really good one! Lik many, the thing that impressed me the most were the settings! They felt so real, and like they really took care of every single detail, so I appreciate that quite a lot! It was so good to be back at Hogwarts, and seeing all those bits of magic, like the Alohomora spell, the magical portraits, the quills and inks, the Invisibility Cloak and the Marauder's Map. Just great!

I also have to agree that I didn0t like much Sirius and James, especially Sirius. His character was very obnoxious, I didn't find him funny at all, just annoying. I also felt sorry about Peter and the way he was treated, forgotten by his friends, not congratulating him for having a date, and not helping him when he was asking for help.

I was also expecting a more important role of Severus Snape. I didn't like that his appearance was so very limited and he didn't even speak. I know he wasn't the main focus of the film, but still, I would have expected more participation from his character.

Other than that, I enjoyed the film :)
Prof. Gustavo Flores
My MC is a... Fwooper

Return to Prank Wars