Week 1 - A Postcard Home

Moderators: Prof. Kendra Givens, Gail Allen

Week 1 - A Postcard Home

Postby Prof. Kendra Givens » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:40 pm

People at home will be eager to know what you’re experiencing along your journey to visit all of these historic landmarks of the world. Write them a postcard of at least a 100 words about our experiences in China or seeing the Great Wall. If you’d like to include a graphic with your postcard writing on it, please be sure to post your writing in plain text below your image so that everyone can enjoy what you’ve written.

Post your letter below to get a piece of this week’s password for the Treasure Hunt, and, of course, earn yourself 10 beans (+5 beans if it is handed in before the 15th of July). If you would rather not share your creation below, please send it to ravenclawevent @ gmail.com (no spaces) with the title "Week 1 - A Postcard Home" and we will be sure to get you some beans!
Prof. Kendra Givens
Professor

Re: Week 1 - A Postcard Home

Postby Janie Peterson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:27 am

Mom,
Everything is great here in China! I never imagined The Great Wall of China being so big! It's about 13,171 miles long. I only got to see a small portion of it, of course. Couldn't hike the whole thing! The food here is really good, too. Nothing like what we have back home in the United States. It's all very salty, I have to admit but savory food is always a treat - they also have good brothy soups. The currency is a little frustrating to figure out but the group that I'm traveling with has some experience with traveling in China and they have been helping me out! I hope that all is well back home. Will write again soon!
- Janie

Password sent
Janie Peterson
My MC is a... Puffskein

Postby Silas Hipolito Crist » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 pm

Dear family!

I have been waiting all day to write you this. It was so hard storing all these powerful and magical memories. First of all I am so eager to come back home; it is stille the best place to be.
But now, about China. I really like that everything is so different and unique. It is nothing like Europe, that I am used to. Even America is far more ordinary. Such great culture is here in China to be seen. Then there are wonderful people, so kind and open for any foreign human. We were all so greatly accepted and no one even showed any of bad feelings, it is obvious that they are used of many tourists.
The Great Wall is magnificent and so enormous; for the first time I was able to truely experience the greatness.
I wish you would be able to be with me here. But I hope that my words will make you a bit happier.
With love
Silas

Password sent
Silas Hipolito Crist
My MC is a... Flobberworm

Postby Zen McGregor » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Hey guys!

Wish you were here to witness this beauty! I am writing to you from the heights of the Great Wall of China. I knew it was magnificent and some say that it is even visible from the Moon. But this thing is humongous! Stretches through almost entire country and resist all the markings of time. It seems Chinese used it as a battle defence system. There is so much to say about China, the culture is, as expected, based on respect, people are very humble, but not many of them speak English. But those that do are very accommodating, warm and welcoming. We've learned a lot about the rich history and traditions of Chinese culture and religion. Buildings are very interesting as some are extremely modern, yet some kept their traditional flavour. Food is something amazing, noodles and rice and all the healthy stuff, so don't worry about me eating properly. They treat us great here. Well, I am off to a tea ceremony now, but I will write again.

Lots of Love,
Zen

Password sent
Zen McGregor
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!

Postby Prof. Sky Alton » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi Everyone
It’s been an eventful first stop in China. We’ve been to dragon reserves, wand wood plantations and even done a spot of phoenix spotting (didn’t see one though). The food has been a true highlight, though there are a few things not even I will try.
Today was devoted to muggle culture so we set off for the Great Wall. I very nearly didn’t make it as I got side tracked by a fruit stall, then by some beautiful music being played by street musicians. The next thing I knew a Demiguise had wandered off with my bag of fruit! Remembering my Care of Magical Creatures lessons, I threw myself into a series of the most random retrieval methods I could think of. Luckily Kendra and Gail arrived just in time to explain things to the Muggle Authorities ….
Wishing you were here
Sky
PS: the wall was great!

Password sent
Prof. Sky Alton
My MC is a... Puffskein

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Flavius! Tomas! Guess where I am. Well, where I'm not. I'm not at home with you sweltering through the hot summer days, I'm in China now (but still sweltering...) and just returned from a traumatic trip to the Great Wall of China! It's just so awesome; it's overwhelming in a way, standing on it and you look in both directions and it goes on and on and one. The whole idea of it boggles the mind but HERE IT IS. We have guides and, if you know the people to talk with, which I didn't but the people I was with did, we're told what time of day to go out and see a most spectacular display of firebirds. They only show up, according to the guides, if the 'tourist package' is all witches. So we're up there on the wall about 10 minutes before the sun peeks over the horizon but the sky is sort of lit up all pearly. Then a small family of firebirds came swirling over and treated us to such an incredible display of flying and sparking gorgeous fireworks everywhere.
Oh, the traumatic part. I asked the guides and was told that no, firebirds may not be asked, enticed or otherwise smuggled out. I might return to the wall, though, and if they get close enough I might tell them about where we live and how gorgeous it is and how they'd be appreciated. Who knows what will happen?
Anyway, that's it for now. Can you read this cramped writing? I knew I'd have to write very very small to get it all on the card. So I did an engorgement spell and wrote it all, then shrank it back down. You might want to do that to be able to read it. Ooops. Should have put that at the start? HA!

Password sent
*Avatar/Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*siggy-Boulet* Avatar-Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL."~Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Snidget

Postby Prof. Maxim Trevelyan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:20 am

Hey guys!

So, China is awesome. I never been to Asia before, but it is meeting all my expectations and more! I really wish you were able to come with me, too bad about that broken leg though. I saw a phoenix flying around the Great Wall, so maybe it would have been to heal Jen.

Anyway, I heard somewhere that The Great Wall is the only structure on the planet visible from the space with the naked eye, but the guide said that was not true. Luckily someone else asked it before I could make a fool out of myself...

In the efforts of taking the best photo possible, I almost fell off! Luckily, Mary was able to pull me to safety with a spell. Had to Obliviate some Muggles though, I tell you Chinese workers in the Ministry of Magic have no sense of humor.

I hope you are having a good time back home and I have loads of pictures to share with you!

Love,

Maxim

Password sent
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
My MC is a... Mackled Malaclaw

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:39 pm

My dearest family:

I cannot thank you enough for the means you provided to go on this trip! I have scarcely been abroad a week and I already love it! I am writing to you from THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA!!!! The view here is amazing, and I really don't understand how the Huns were able to get past this (luckily China still had Mulan!) I've met so many people; and I'm was surprised to find out how many people here also speak English (though I'm still having trouble with the accents.) I've bought souvenirs for you all; Archimedes should have brought them with this postcard (they're in the green wrappings.) Please send new socks with him! Love you very much, see you in seven weeks!

-Arianna

Password sent
Arianna Stonewater
My MC is a... Red Cap

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:07 pm

爸爸 (Baba), 媽媽 (Mama), 大家好(da jia hao)!

After stopping by Taiwan to say hi to 外婆 (Waipo) and all our relatives, I finally set foot in China. The first few days were spent exploring the cities of Beijing and Shanghai. There are so many people in the cities, so it is not too difficult to blend in. Muggle transportation is actually a better choice than Apparating with such a dense population. As I promised 妹妹 (Meimei), I also visited the Wolong National Nature Reserve to take pictures of the pandas.

My tour group got to the Great Wall of China near dusk, when most Muggle tourists were making their way home. We walked about a mile an a half before the guide told us we could grab a broom along the side of the Great Wall. When we reached the other end, our guide tapped a few bricks and a crimson archway appeared, leading to a Chinese Fireball Dragon Reserve! The dragons are so majestic and active at dusk. You should all visit when you get a chance!

愛你的 (ai ni de),
姊姊 (Jiejie)

Password sent
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Postby Elena Galatas » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:28 am

I wrote two postcards because...well, I'm extra. xD Seraphina would be my sister.

Dear Mom and Dad,

First of all, I miss you loads! I've been waiting all day to write to you two and Seraphina; everywhere I go in China, I'm reminded of one of you in one way or another. There were a few places we went where the first thought in my mind was 'oh my god, dad would love this!', and other places that I know you would have absolutely adored, mom. I know the typical answer is 'The Great Wall', but I think my favorite stop was the Forbidden City in Beijing; there are 8,886 rooms in the complex, but there are also an extra 600 rooms hidden with magic. Don't get me wrong, The Great Wall was amazing, and far too long to actually walk all the way down it, but it was still amazing nonetheless. Kind of a once-in-a-lifetime-journey deal, you know?

One of those hidden rooms in the Forbidden City led to the most beautiful phoenix reserve that I have ever seen! Mom, you would have absolutely loved it; all these beautiful, wild phoenixes in their natural habitat? You're a magizoologist, I can feel your jealousy radiating from all the way over here. Dad, I have plenty of pictures to show you from our visit to the Terracotta Army in Xi'an, too. Thanks to some well-timed group apparition, we actually managed to get into the tomb at the necropolis. We had to use a bubble-head charm in the tomb, but no one's been in the tomb since the Emporer died in 210 BC so...that's kind of obvious. But still. It was beautiful, and you would have loved it. I miss you both a ton! I will make sure to write from our next stop, and I'll do my best to stay out of trouble.

Love you! Give Seraphina my regards when you see her next.
Elena

Dear Phina,

I can't believe you aren't here with me! I can't believe that you chumped out at the last second, Phi! This place is absolutely beautiful. I had to write to you because I couldn't very well tell mom and dad; they would lose their minds with worry. There's this hidden dragon reservation in the ancient city of Dali, and it was the greatest thing ever! There's a small, hidden passage between two of the three pagodas that leads to a Chinese Fireball dragon reservation, and it was freaking awesome. That combined with the phoenix reservation and the summer palace in beijing is just mind-blowing. I've sent you tons of pictures alongside this postcard, but they might show up in a few days. I can't believe you willingly missed this adventure. Maybe next time, though, right?

Love always, darling.
Lena

Password sent
Elena Galatas
My MC is a... Chinese Fireball

Return to World Wonders Summer Camp