Week 1 - Train Ride Shenanigans

Moderators: Amy Smith, Charlie Spencer, Sparky McPup

Week 1 - Train Ride Shenanigans

Postby Charlie Spencer » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:58 pm

What would you do on the Hogwarts Express to pass the time (besides looking for lost objects, of course)? It's never specified in the books just how long the journey to Hogwarts is, but it's at least several snacks and a nice nap long - or about 8 hours. Would you catch up with friends? Read a book? Practice some spells on your friend's rat? (er...)

Describe this in at least 100 words by Sept. 30th 11:59pm HOL time for 10 beans and the chance to win an award!
Charlie Spencer
My MC is a... Augurey

Re: Week 1 - Train Ride Shenanigans

Postby Iverian Gnash » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:05 pm

I'm generally pretty prepared when it comes to long rides as we've gone on long road trips before. Usually, I bring work with me that I need to get done. Sometimes that's school work, and other times it's a project I've been working on for a while like knitting. Long rides are a chance for me to catch up on everything I wasn't able to do while at home with zero distractions. I would probably bring a good book on the Hogwarts Express, a card game because you don't go anywhere without playing cards, and a loom to knit with (the house elves are running low). I'd find my friends and we'd spend the entire train ride talking about the new year and everything in store while playing a good game of cards (which I would win with a heavy amount of cheating *cough* luck).
Iverian Gnash
My MC is a... Ghoul

Postby James Ralph » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:15 pm

Whenever I go on long trips, I always carry a deck of cards, a drawing pad and pencils, and a nice book. With these three simple sets of items, I'm ready for any kind of journey. If I'm on my own, and the scenery is boring, I pull out the book. A good book can keep me busy for days at a time. If the scenery starts to get interesting, or I'm sharing a compartment with someone or something that looks rather interesting, then the drawing pad and pencils come out. I love sketching, and a train trip is an absolutely golden opportunity to get inspiration for sketching. The deck of cards is my favorite of the items I travel with. If I happen to meet someone, and we get to talking, I know many card games that can be played with a normal deck of playing cards (some of my own invention). I know card games that work with groups of people as large as 24, and I know some that work perfectly well with 2, and all player numbers between. I know games that rely on speed, some on memory, some on luck, and some on imagination. Regardless of the type of person or people I meet, a deck of playing cards can act as that perfect ice breaker.
James Ralph
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:17 pm

Riding the Hogwarts Express is always such a treat for me, as I look forward to reconnecting with old friends and making new ones, as well as discussing all the fun things that are to come ahead at the castle. My excitement wouldn't let me sleep even if I wanted to (and, believe me, there's been a time or two I've tried!) but even in my most sleepy or antsy rides on this train, I've always had such great experiences.

Typically I try to avoid sweets "on the regular" but will allow myself certain treats from time to time —like grabbing a soda whenever I enjoy catching a film at the cinema— but on these occasions I take FULL advantage of the long journey shared by lots of friends by raiding the trolley of yummy goodies to my heart's content!

I've taken a book on every trip, yet I'd be hard pressed to say there's ever come a time where I've made it past more than a page or two before I get caught up in some conversation or other. Given how much of a "floater" I am, I like to wander about the different compartments a lot to touch base with as many people as I can, but generally I'll wind up syncing up with one or two people as I adventure around, and sometimes can keep myself in one place for a little while at least!!

One good thing about this is that everyone is always up to a variety of things, so if one individual or group is having a particular discussion or practicing a certain spell, I might join in for a bit myself which has always helped me keep my skills sharp in a fun way without focusing too hard in any one area. It all just magically works itself out, which I love.

Taking the Hogwarts Express continues to be one of the best parts of my year, even after all this time!
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Postby Louis Walles » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:19 am

Whenever I travel for more than an hour I make sure I have everything I can't live without. By this, I mean my phone and my earphones. It's more of a habit for me that whenever I'm going outside - I need to have my earphones and listen to music. Even when I'm going to the supermarket! Another thing I would do while being on the train for a long time is to bring some Wordsearch puzzles or just find some puzzles online which I can do if I'm going to be totally bored. Also, other ideas I have are to read a book (maybe find some good study books and go through them beforehand) or watch a movie. I would probably eat tones of snacks too. Maybe, if I would be brave enough (I'm quite shy sometimes), I would try to make some friends so I would not be so lonely in Hogwarts!!
Louis Walles
My MC is a... Sea Serpent

Postby Mia Fountain » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:02 pm

In the muggle world I would usually bring a book or two (maybe more), and a video game console. But since electronics might not work on the train I would bring a few fiction books along to last the train ride. I would also pack a filling and healthy lunch (maybe some raw vegetables and dip for them, and a sub with mayonnaise, assorted cold cuts, and spinach). I would try to find a car on the train with other people that seem like they just want to practice quiet activities, and not talk too boisterously. I would likely bring some sickles and knuts with me to buy some snacks from the trolley witch.
Mia Fountain
Head Student

Postby Prof. Sirius Fudge » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:50 am

I would generally spend almost all the time with my friends and acquaintances. It had been too long without talking to them so having updates with them is a must. After the rounds of summer stories, it is the time when the landscape changes to more lush green mountains and hills, with some hints of rivers every now and then. I would escape the conversations and look at the beauty of the outside. I could do this all the time during the journey, I think. But my stomach would begin to look for something to eat and the rest of the group would bring out their homemade lunchbox. I would eat heartily with them. The rest of the afternoon will be spent on games, trying out magic card games and toys for everyone's amusement. The darkening of the sky is the signal to change to our uniforms.

Sirius Fudge || si926 || Fifth Year || Hufflepuff
11.00" Birch and Ashwinder Ash
Prof. Sirius Fudge
My MC is a... Porlock

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:57 pm

I'd be catching up with all that had happened over the vacation time with my friends and wandering up and down the train. I'd probably hit up the snack cart a few times, for food and drink, as I wended my way back and forth. Sometimes I might stay in a compartment with certain folks who I know are inventive and ask them what kind of mischief they'd gotten into and/or were planning. Every once in a while, though, I'd go to the caboose and step out onto the platform, where all the openness and fresh air and gorgeous fragrances of the Highlands welcome me back to Hogwarts.
*Avatar/Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*siggy-Boulet* Avatar-Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL."~Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Re'em

Postby Jask Hollow » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:48 pm

The train ride seemed like forever i thought, I also was so sad that I had forgotten my books. Then I felt myself looking through my bag one more time. This time I found a secret pocket with my favorite books and A note. The note said "I knew you'd forget these, so here you go. Love cousin Sophia." So I promised myself that everything I did this year would be dedicated to Sophia.
Jask Hollow
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!

Return to Solve September