Week 1 - Outside the Window

Moderators: Amy Smith, Charlie Spencer, Sparky McPup

Week 1 - Outside the Window

Postby Charlie Spencer » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:03 pm

Considering the Hogwarts Express travels through the English and Scottish countryside, there's bound to be some amazing scenery on our trip.

While taking a break from searching for the lost items, take a metaphorical peek outside your window and draw OR describe what you see in at least 80 words. Is it still early in the journey, and the sun is high in the sky? Or is it nearing the end, and it's getting dark? What's the weather like?

Post your art OR description by Sept. 30th 11:59 HOL time for 10 beans and the chance to get an award.
Charlie Spencer
My MC is a... Augurey

Re: Week 1 - Outside the Window

Postby Iverian Gnash » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:10 pm

The window has seemed to darken a bit, but I've been too caught up in the latest conversation to notice. I pull the curtain aside to be met with raindrops drizzling down the glass. I watch the drops as they fall, combining with other drops, picking up speed, slowing down, running off the side. A crack of lightning grabs my attention and I jump back. It's about one o'clock I assume as I look down at my watch. I've already had lunch and raided the food trolley. I reach up and turn a light on as our space is getting pretty dark with the outside weather. Thunder starts rumbling and I try to direct my attention back to our conversation. Up ahead, there was a bit of light, so hopefully the storm will be gone by the time we get there.
Iverian Gnash
My MC is a... Ghoul

Postby Louis Walles » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:27 am

When I look outside my window I can see that is early morning. The view outside is so lovely. Sometimes I can see some weird and creepy looking forests with magical creatures in them, peeking through the trees. They look scared but friendly, they look like they wouldn't hurt a fly. I see one with huge wings and a pair: a mother and a baby running by the train tracks and then disappearing in the shadows of the trees. I don't know their names yet but I am more than sure that I would learn more about them in school. As we go further, I can see some lovely small houses in the distance. I wonder who lives there. One house is the most intriguing. It looks like from a book or a movie. It is a small house standing alone. It's surrounded by a small hedge and it has huge sunflowers all around it. I can see some cows and goats nearby.
Louis Walles
My MC is a... Sea Serpent

Postby James Ralph » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:19 am

As the journey starts, and we leave the city, I look outside the window and can see that it is nearing late morning as the sun is rising quite high in the sky. I'm surrounded by beautiful rolling green hills. The journey is long, and every now and then we go past some small villages. I begin to notice that every village has something unique about it. Some have a single big church, that towers over the village. Others are shaped in perfect little circles around a Town Hall. I start to play a little game with myself, where I try and guess if any of the houses in a village I see, or the whole village itself, belong to wizards and witches or not. As it starts getting late in the afternoon, and the train is nearing Hogsmeade, I start to see the distant towers of the castle of Hogwarts come into view. It is a beautiful trip, with many great sights, that I will look forward to every year.
James Ralph
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!

Postby Sebastien Crowley » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:16 pm

Looking outside the window, what gets my attention the most is the countryside. Rolling green hills, animals in the pastures, occasional lazy river and sparse Muggle traffic. The sky still thinks its summer, so the weather's clear, with an occasional white cloud in the shape of a phoenix among the blue. Some birds try to keep up with the train, but they can only do so much against the hard-working engine and they give up after a few miles. All the while the sounds I hear are the chattering of the students on the train or the train itself.
Sebastien Crowley

Postby Mia Fountain » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:45 pm

On the train ride to Hogwarts, I was reading a book about Charms. As I was reading I took a glance out the window. Outside the window I saw the sun high in the sky at noon, and some white fluffy clouds. We were passing through the countryside, and I saw golden fields filled with wheat and green gently rolling hills with a house sitting at the top. As we continued on our journey we crossed a wooden bridge, that was built over a river.
Mia Fountain
Head Student

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:54 pm

I'm almost sad —but only almost— that it isn't raining, because many of my trips on the Hogwarts Express have been during torrential downpours that leave me feeling like the rest of the world doesn't even exist. Only the time I get to spend with my friends and treats and beginning of year excitement! This time things are a little bit different because, even without the rain, the sky is a gorgeous, deep, almost purplish swirling smoky gray, and there is an INCREDIBLE lightning storm happening that continues to splash yellow and orange hues across the view. This paints, in my mind, one of the best backdrops I could ask for as I mosey from compartment to compartment while various students squeal (be it from joy and/or terror) at each passing FLASH and proceeding, booming, CRASH!! I may not take much time to notice the rest of the scenery as it passes by (however beautiful it may be) but I certainly enjoy the atmosphere and effect of this particular ride back to the castle. I think we're going to be in for an interesting year ahead!!!
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:45 am

It's foggy. The fog seems to be getting denser and the bright sunshine is obscured from my sight until the train seems to be chugging on through a seemingly impenetrable dank wetness. Then it gets all cold, so cold that the windows develop ice crystals on them and in the carriages, one can see one's breath.
I look out the window and it seems very strange and odd how such a warm and brilliant sort of autumn day changed so radically into something which would be like a Muggle horror film.
*Avatar/Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*siggy-Boulet* Avatar-Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL."~Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Snidget

Postby Astor Arensin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:29 am

My gaze turned towards the window next to me, my interest is drawn to the beautiful scenery of the Scottish highlands. The landscape is filled with golden grains of wheat and barley, amongst others, such as oats and flaxseed. The wonderful farmland; I always love to see people living off the land, out on their own, not relying on other people, on society. I could see the grains flow with the wind as the train drove by, some of their seeds being released, carried by the gusts, where they would be able to spread out and grow in new areas.
Astor Arensin
My MC is a... Chizpurfle

Postby Jask Hollow » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:36 pm

We are in the late night every one is asleep except me I have wide eye a thinking about my future at Hogwarts. Then I feel myself drift off and suddenly my eyes jerk open by my twin sister shaking me awake to a sun just coming up from the horizons. She's yelling at me to wake up and put my robes on. But my brain is still foggy as I put my robes ready for the sorting. Then the trains stop and I hear a deep voice calling all the first years to him. So I start walking towards this voice with mybdidter and new friends.
Jask Hollow

Return to Solve September