Week 1 - Discussion

Moderator: Prof. Rorey Padfoot

Week 1 - Discussion

Postby Prof. Rorey Padfoot » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:14 am

What is your favorite Fall/Autumn movie and why? It can be scary or funny or just a movie set in that season. Make all posts HOL appropriate and no spoilers just in case someone hasn't seen it.

You will earn 10 beans for each post you make that had 50 words or more. You can make your original post, reply to someone else's post, or if you have more than one favorite movie make another post about the second, third, etc movie! You have until October 31st, 11:59pm HOL time to get your posts in.
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
My MC is a... Knarl

Re: Week 1 - Discussion

Postby Elizabeth Opal » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:43 am

My favorite fall (Halloween) movie is The Haunted Mansion. It sets me in the mood for Halloween, but it also falls under my favorite genre of movie... Comedy (it has Eddie Murphy... need I say more?)! It is set during the fall, as can be seen through the leaves. It also has different aspects of Halloween tied in... Ghosts, cemetery, cobwebs, and more. Additionally, it is family friendly and a Disney movie (which I am obsessed with). If anyone were to ask me to recommend only one Halloween movie, this would be my choice!
Elizabeth Opal
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:21 pm

One of the movies that I used to watch EVERY year back in the day is "The Halloween Tree." Been years and years since I've seen it now, so in some ways I feel partially guilty even mention it as a representative of the flick, haha, but I think I'm gonna make this year the time I bring it back into the fold for the sake of nostalgia.

Also never knew until today that there's actually a book! Since I have a credit on Audible currently I might dive right into a little listening action as well. The story dives into a little bit of Halloween history as a few buddies head off on a mission to save one of their friends over the holiday.

Interested to see how I experience re-watching it after all these years, but it was always an old faithful this time of year with me and my siblings. Never even owned it, just got to watch it on T.V. every time 'cause it would get played regularly.

Ah, memories!

Otherwise, truth be told, while I typically like to get into a couple of seasonal movies around this time, Hocus Pocus is one of the only films I watch pretty much religiously as Halloween gets into full swing, hehehe.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Postby Mia Fountain » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:06 pm

My favourite Halloween movie is Halloweentown. I like how it presents several "scary monsters" as friendly characters in the movie. I generally watch at least one of the movies in the series around Halloween, when they are shown on TV. But, I might miss it this year, unless it is on Netflix.
Mia Fountain
Head Student

Postby Lorainia Riverrider » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:41 pm

I agree with Mia on this one. The Halloween Town movie series are my go to to get into the Halloween spirit. When we were kids, my siblings and I had a tradition of having a Halloween Town movie marathon after going muggle Trick-or-treating. Now we continue the tradition but we take my nieces trick-or-treating instead.
Lorainia Riverrider
My MC is a... Diricawl

Postby Prof. Kendra Givens » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:13 pm

My favorite fall movie in the Disney movie Coco. I love that it celebrates Dia de los Muertos, a Hispanic holiday that occurs on October 31st that celebrates the lives of those who have passed on. This particular movie explores a young man's journey to visit his ancestors in the afterlife, and it is fun and colorful with lots of good songs. The movie is full of hope and it's very educational, which makes me happy. If you want to learn about Hispanic culture and a holiday celebrating life - watch this one!
Prof. Kendra Givens
Professor

Postby Prof. Felicia Hartwick » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:00 pm

Halloween movies! I love them. But not the scary type. Give me a fun Halloween movie and I'm fine.

One of my favorite Halloween movie is Practical Magic. It was released in 1998, and to be honest, back then I did go to see it in the theatre. It wasn't until it was on TV that I finally watched it. But now I have to watch it at some point during October.

The movie stars Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman as sisters who are also witches, being raised by two eccentric aunt. They live is a small town and the town folks are not very friendly toward them. The family, sadly, has a curse on them that makes it impossible to find lasting love. The two sisters are complete opposites in their way they handle life and the curse.

The Aunts are a hoot! Stoddard Channing and Diane Wiest were fabulous in the parts.

I'm not going to give any more away, you have to watch it to appreciate it.

Oh, and the house they live in.... I want it!
Prof. Felicia Hartwick
My MC is a... Augurey

Return to Just A Little Hocus Pocus