Aquarium - Task 4

Moderator: Prof. Kendra Givens

Aquarium - Task 4

Postby Prof. Kendra Givens » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:09 pm

One thing you might have noticed today is that there are so many seemingly random names for fish. I know I saw a squirrelfish, a goatfish, a frogfish, and a dartfish. I'm sure you all saw others that I didn't see! As we leave and ride over to our next location, you can't help but daydream about whatever types of fish might be out there waiting to be discovered.

You have a few options for this task:

Option 1: Research and write 100 words about any of the saltwater fish you saw today. Try to choose one of the 'fish' like squirrelfish or dartfish so that you can tell us how they got that goofy nickname, but you're welcome to research any fish you'd like to!

Option 2: You've discovered a new fish and have chosen to give it a funky common name. Maybe that could be the remotefish, the treefish, or the bowlfish? Whatever comes to mind, either write 100 words about that fish OR draw a picture to represent your discovery.

10 beans if you can share your writing or illustration below by August 21st at 11:59PM HOL time!
Prof. Kendra Givens
Professor

Re: Aquarium - Task 4

Postby Prof. Will Lestrange » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:39 am

The fish that I discovered is called the infinityfish. It isn't infinitely large, and it doesn't live an infinite amount of time, but its preferred swimming pattern is in a figure-8 loop. Looking at the loop from its side, we indeed see something that looks like the infinity sign!

As for the fish itself? It's a medium-sized, blue-and-yellow striped fish which eats fish smaller than itself... and, of course, it pursues its prey by swimming in its characteristic infinity-shaped pattern! The fish normally lives in rivers in warm climates, which is why it would not be seen in Great Britain (Muggle or Wizarding) outside of these aquariums, but if you look at southern Europe or certain parts of the United States you might be in luck!
Prof. Will Lestrange
My MC is a... Re'em

Postby Louis Walles » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:20 pm

While doing my research, I have found out about a fish called (yes, really) 'Humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa'. This is a real fish, trust me. According to a fancy website about marine creatures, there is quite interesting, so here it is - an explanation: his is the Hawaiian name for the rectangular triggerfish, and the perfect quiz night doozy of a question! It means “triggerfish with a snout like a pig”. We can’t see the resemblance, but someone did! This impressive fish is the state fish of Hawaii. There is even a song which includes this very long name as part of its lyrics.
Louis Walles
My MC is a... Sea Serpent

Postby Harry Walles » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:24 pm

I also found a fish with a rather...peculiar name. I would not say that the said fish has a nice name but still. The fish is called 'Obese dragonfish'. The said fish lives 5000m deep into the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific oceans. It has a serious set of chompers on it and with its long, black body, I would much rather it stay at 5000m below! Now, the reason as to why this fish is called as such but I can assume that the fish has a bit chubby cheeks so maybe this is from where the scientist drew the name from?
Harry Walles
My MC is a... Ghoul

Return to Tour of the City