Light - Task #16. - “Legilimens”

Moderators: Mia Fountain, Prof. Sindor Aloyarc, Amy Smith, Silvana Mandeville

Light - Task #16. - “Legilimens”

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:05 am

A handful of weeks before the start of term, our Head of House, Prof. Ryan Granger decided to plan a special trip over the summer holiday for the five house prefects who could make it for some bonding time together.

They were each only able join in for a different number of days, and Ryan had arranged it so they’d be using a broomstick rental service as a fun means of transportation while away from the castle so that nobody with personal brooms would have to worry about them getting lost, damaged, or stolen, and those without one of their own could still participate in the flying good times!

Unfortunately when he went to shell out the some galleons for each of the five reservations, the person behind the counter couldn’t find the appropriate records, explained they’d been suffering from terrible memory troubles lately after a spell gone wrong, and couldn’t locate any of the forms from the past week.

Ryan had asked each of the prefects to set their own plans ahead of him arriving at the shop, so in order to get to the bottom of this predicament without delay, he asked the attendant if it would be alright to use the art of legillimency so that he might poke around their mind to find the answers.

The Heat Miser, upon hearing this story, roars out with delight, “What an excellent way of bringing darkness out into the light! Which gives me the idea for our final challenge.”

Fiery eyebrows draw together as he turns a devilish and toothy grin toward the participants, who eagerly await to hear what’s coming next.

Task:
After splitting into pairs to practice your Legilimens skills on one another —with an opposing team member, so you wouldn’t go easy on anyone— every individual is tasked with using these abilities of venturing into the mind of Prof. Ryan Granger to discover which of the Ravenclaw prefects (including Head Prefect, Kendra) used which of the five broomsticks (including a Moontrimmer), and how long they were able to join the trip (between 2-6 days).

Legillimency isn’t just about reading someone’s thoughts, but truly tapping onto what’s going on in the totality of their mind. Getting a glimpse of what makes them tick and the experiences they have acquired. By sifting around in the shop attendant’s mine for pieces of information, Ryan was able to solve the following problem.

Can you tap into his mind to see what conclusions he came to? Bring to light the following Logic puzzle and Send Me Your Solution through a private message!

Clues:
1. Of the 2 day rental and the Cleansweep One reservation, one is Amy’s and the other is Alex's.
2. Mia's rental is for a period 1 day longer than Amy's reservation.
3. Mia's rental is either the 3 day rental or the 4 day reservation.
4. The Firebolt rental is for a period 2 days longer than Silvana's reservation.
5. Silvana's rental is either the 4 day reservation or the Comet 140 rental.
6. Mia's rental is for the Nimbus 1000.

Alternatively you may post a Memory below using a minimum of 125 words describing a time you as good as read someone’s mind! This could also be entirely made up, so long as it’s written from your own perspective, and perhaps indicate whether it’s a piece of fiction or an actual memory!

This task is worth 10 beans with an additional 10 bonus beans for completing all Week Four tasks by end of activity. Deadline is 11:59pm (HOL time) on Monday November 28th.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Re: Light - Task #16. - “Legilimens”

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:58 pm

Solved by:
Anne-Marie Gagne
Aurelia West
Prof. Will Lestrange
Kalgri Sicaria
Caius Magnusson
Ereshkigal Csintalan
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Postby Rhaneyra Black » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:39 pm

Out of character, there was a time, that I actually probably performed Legilimens in real life. I was about 16 years of age, and my friends and I had been talking together about what we thought would be coming out for the lesson that day. It was a Biology lesson, and we weren't the most keen on it, as the teacher seemed to be in a particularly bad mood, and from the speech she gave us that morning, it seemed like the work that was going to be given that day, was going to be something we hated. Now, we were revising for our exams, and for her to revise something that we hated, was like finding a needle in hay stack. We didn't like many topics in the lesson taught that term, and as I sat there with my friends, I remembered something, most of the time we used to zone out during the morning assembly, but for some reason, that morning I watched and I listened, and the teacher seemed to be particularly annoyed, an annoyed that meant she would pick something we all were bad at, the Kidney, and lo and behold, the topic was on the renal artery.
Rhaneyra Black
My MC is a... Ramora

Postby Adeline Morior » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:44 pm

In character-
I was walking to my dorm room one day as I left class early from not feeling too well when a Cat jumped up from the side of one of the benches and gave me a fright. I looked at the cat suspiciously and a passing thought occurred. Probably some Professor thinking am I up to no good. I turned to get some water from my bag only to look back and almost leave my skin from the shock. Well and behold, a Professor stood in front of me closer than expected. She gave me an eerie peak and uttered “why aren’t you in class? Are you up to no good lurking the halls? ”. I backed away a few steps in surprise and mumbled I wasn’t feeling well. That was an understatement as I just had the fright of my life. I should learn to trust my instincts more.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Adeline Morior
Reserve Prefect

Postby Harry Walles » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:03 am

I remember when I was walking around the castle grounds and suddenly I started feeling really sleepy. I went back to my dorms and decided to take a short nap. During my nap, I had a dream about a pop quiz happening during my Defence against the Dark Arts lesson. In my dream, there were 5 questions and I also managed to see the right answers to every single question. After I woke up, I headed back to my lessons. The last one, was the very same Defence Against the Dark Arts. To my surprise, we had a pop quiz and, surprise, with the same questions! To summarize, I totally nailed the exam! I think even the teacher was quite surprised to see my results!
Harry Walles
My MC is a... Ghoul

Postby Louis Walles » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:08 am

I was having a feeling that my friend is feeling quite upset but I did not know why. I have known him for over 10 years and so I was wondering if I can find anything he may have experienced recently that could have led to him being sad. I decided to meet up with him. I found him in the library after our lessons and so I joined him by the table. As soon as I looked into his eyes, the reason behind his sadness just revealed itself to me, with no reason whatsoever. I looked at him again and said 'hey, you know that just because you failed that one exam, it does not mean you will fail the whole class'. He was really shocked that I read his mind!
Louis Walles
My MC is a... Sea Serpent

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:14 am

Solution:
2 daysAmyComet 140
3 daysMiaNimbus 1000
4 daysSilvanaMoontrimmer
5 daysAlexCleansweep One
6 daysKendraFirebolt