Week Two - Task #04. - “Reeling & Writhing”

Moderator: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Week Two - Task #04. - “Reeling & Writhing”

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:29 am

Drinking the liquid from the bottle has you shutting up like a spyglass, shrinking faster than you can say “checkmate!”

You grab the key to stick in the lock, and the door swings opens after a soft click. Stepping through, you find yourself on top of a hill with a spectacular view of glistening water, and lush green mountains in the distance.

The sky is filled with puffy white clouds, and there are flies flitting up and down the hill. Some look like rocking horses with wings, others resemble slices of bread and butter.

As beautiful as it is, your attention is piqued by the slow drawl of a song being wailed from somewhere behind you.

Assuming someone must have come into the Heart's ‘room with the bench,’ you jump to close the door before anyone catches you there, but find it nowhere to be found, and the key you had moments ago has poofed away.

Hrmph,” you grumble discontentedly, having believing you could go back to the tea gathering right away if you wanted to.

Beyond where the door would have been, you see a beach not far off, and decide to head in that direction instead, toward the sounds of singing.

It’s a gurgling sound, to put it politely, but the melody is quit pleasent, and you find the lyrics rather interesting.

Making it to the beach, your brow furrows together as you witness an odd creature bubbling out their song, while surrounded by extraordinarily large lobsters who are dancing the quadrille in a circle around them.

A ‘turtle’ is close enough to what you’d call the singing thing, though perhaps “Mock Turtle” would be a more appropriate name. Its face, tail, and hind hooves resemble a cow, with flippers in front, and a great big shell on its back.

“My, my,” is all you can say as you witness the number play out.

Task:
Using 120 words or more, relay whatever Lyrics you hear from the Mock Turtle’s song, including at least four of the following words: Reeling, Writhing, Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.

Alternatively you may contribute a Spill The Tea research piece in 120 words or more, sharing interesting, unusual, or little known facts in your own words about any person throughout history.

This task is worth 15 beans, with an additional 15 bonus beans for completing all Week Two tasks by end of activity. Deadline is 11:59pm (HOL time) on Sunday April 30th.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Re: Week Two - Task #04. - “Reeling & Writhing”

Postby Lex Green » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:06 am

Once more we drift apart
My head a blur, thoughts reeling
How could they let you break my heart?
Without a care for how I'm feeling
My ideas met with derision
Just as they always are
Because our world is just their vision
To destroy and kill and char
We try writhing from their grip
But like each time before, we fail
We shout and scream for kinship
But all to no avail
We pray and wish upon the stars
We grovel in submission
Yet they steal the tale that should be ours
To feed their harsh ambition
We are the stories they tell each other
We're their escapism, their distraction
And in return we continue to suffer
An unfair, everlasting transaction
Our words twist to theirs time and time again
Their uglification of our souls
We'll keep fighting, even if in vein
With hope one day we'll take control
Lex Green
Reserve Prefect

Postby Prof. Will Lestrange » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:43 am

I suspect that we see here
An interloper loud and clear
Not from the familiar bronze and blue
But somewhere else, it must be true.

Ambition is the interloper's key
As sure as one and two is three.
Distraction will not stop him though
He will go on, not sway to and fro.

But uglification must have passed this one by
As I enjoy watching him though he can't fly.
Derision may be the one branch left,
But he avoids this! He must be deft!

We should let this interloper stay...
He means no harm; he comes to play.
Reeling and writhing he knows not
He will be fun when the sun grows hot!

[121 words according to my word counter]
Prof. Will Lestrange
My MC is a... Re'em

Postby Aquaria Sandalwood » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:22 am

There once was a creature
Who sang like a bird
But had the worst song
That you’ve ever heard

All who heard it sing
Would be sent reeling
Floating up off the ground
To crash through the ceiling

But the uglification
Of this creature’s voice
Is just a distraction
Of its many ploys

If you watch closely
You’ll see its ambition
To take victims hair
And mock with derision

This creature of old
Is hairless and ugly
And wants to bring down
Others to mock smugly

It takes off your hair
To glue on to its own head
And puts you on display
To make fun of ‘till you’re red

So if you hear a song
For which ears are not fit
Tie on your hat tightly
Or you’ll soon regret it
Aquaria Sandalwood
Prefect-in-Training

Postby Janne Halla » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:50 pm

He is the physicist credited with developing the most well-known equation in history. Even if we don't know what it means, we've all heard of the equation e=mc2. Low Tide & High Tea presents 'The Scoop' with today's historical person, Albert Einstein.

Albert Einstein had a number of peculiar behaviors, including a dislike of socks. He made note of the fact that he never wore socks in several of his letters since he was extremely proud of it. When he was younger, Einstein discovered that his big toe would always rip holes in his socks whenever he wore them. He gave up wearing socks completely as a result. He liked not to wear shoes, but sandals. In addition, Einstein admitted that he occasionally wore high-cut boots to formal events to conceal the fact that he was sockless.

Albert Einstein acquired German Empire citizenship at birth. To avoid being drafted into the military, he renounced his German citizenship when he was 16 years old, with his father's blessing. Because of this, Einstein was a stateless person for five years before becoming a citizen of Switzerland by naturalization.

When he started sailing, Einstein was still a student in Switzerland. He developed this into another lifelong interest, and he frequently used the ocean as a place to reflect. However, this renowned scientist was good at theoretical physics, but not so good at sailing. Even in his older years, he frequently got lost on his expeditions or capsized his boat. Moreover, Einstein needed assistance from others to save him because he was unable to swim.
Janne Halla
My MC is a... Bowtruckle

Postby Maeve Madden » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:18 pm

Rosalind Franklin was an English scientist born in 1920. She studied physical chemistry and X-ray crystallography, which is the scientific study of crystals and the X-rays they produce because of their unique structures. She received her natural sciences degree from Newnham College in 1941 and her PhD in physical chemistry from the University of Cambridge in 1945. Franklin’s work has permeated through many different fields. Most notably, her work with X-rays was integral to the discovery of the structure of DNA. Though scientists James Watson, Francis Crick, and Maurice Wilkins are credited with this monumental discovery, they would not have been able to accomplish this without Franklin’s prior work, for which she was not recognized until many years later. Along with DNA, Franklin paved the way for the discoveries of the structures of RNA, coal, graphite, and many viruses. Sadly, Rosalind Franklin’s life was cut short at the young age of 37; she died of ovarian cancer, most likely caused by the high levels of radiation she was exposed to during her research.
Maeve Madden
My MC is a... Augurey

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:48 pm

There was a woman who was celebrated for her beauty -- and was an astonishing success being a movie star. However, this woman, born in November of 1914, not only starred in movies such as Samson and Delilah and White Cargo, also was the pioneer of technology upon which our WIFI, GPS and Bluetooth communication systems are based.

Hedwig Eva Kiesler was born in Vienna, Austria, had a father (a bank director) who had wide interests into how things worked and would take his daughter for walks, talking about the inner workings of various things, such as street cars or the printing press. At the age of 5, she was taking apart and then putting back together, her music box. A lot of kids take things apart ... but putting them back together, just to find out how it worked? Awesome! 8) Her mother, a concert pianist, made sure that Hedwig Eva had instructions in the arts, with ballet and piano lessons. An only child, she profited greatly by having such supportive parents!

Then, one day when she was 16, she was 'discovered' by director Max Reinhardt. Her looks caught his attention while, evidently, he ignored she was brilliant. (If you want, you may read up on more of her personal history -- it's rather fascinating but in the meantime ...) Suffice it to say that she married a certain Fritz Mandl, who was fascinated by her beauty and sought her as a 'trophy'.

In 1937, fleeing an untenable position in Austria, what with all of the war machinations going on, she went to London. She changed her name there, to Hedy Lamarr, when Louis Mayer (the second M of MGM Studios) signed her up -- under the conditions that she did change her name from Mandl (Fritz Mandl, her husband, was a person involved with munitions and other war activities with German peoples, and his name was regarded as scandalous in England).

In the meantime, back to genius. She met various and sundry people, one of whom was Howard Hughes. Hughes was fascinated by airplanes and flying. Hedy studied up, looking at nature, and sketched a new design for Hughes' wing design for Hughes' planes. “You’re a genius.” was his comment to her when she showed him the designs.

Hmm. I already have 380 words. Razzlefrats. Okay, here is a brief (okay, not so brief) quote from one online source, of something she did. I hope you enjoyed reading about this awesome woman. <3

In 1940 Lamarr met George Antheil at a dinner party. Antheil was another quirky yet clever force to be reckoned with. Known for his writing, film scores, and experimental music compositions, he shared the same inventive spirit as Lamarr. She and Antheil talked about a variety of topics but of their greatest concerns was the looming war. Antheil recalled, “Hedy said that she did not feel very comfortable, sitting there in Hollywood and making lots of money when things were in such a state.” After her marriage to Mandl, she had knowledge on munitions and various weaponry that would prove beneficial. And so, Lamarr and Antheil began to tinker with ideas to combat the axis powers.

The two came up with an extraordinary new communication system used with the intention of guiding torpedoes to their targets in war. The system involved the use of “frequency hopping” amongst radio waves, with both transmitter and receiver hopping to new frequencies together. Doing so prevented the interception of the radio waves, thereby allowing the torpedo to find its intended target.
*Avatar/Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*siggy-Boulet* Avatar-Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL."~Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Snidget

Postby Harry Walles » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:56 pm

I think most people know who William Shakespeare was so I am going to skip the introduction of this famous playwriter. The one fun fact about Shakespeare is more about his family than him personally.

It is not known for a fact, but some historians claim that William's parents were probably illiterate. The reason behind is that this was quite common among people during the Elizabethan era. His father could only sign documents for himself, yet his signature was always a simple mark. Similarly to his parents, Shakespeare's wife and two children, Susanna and Judith, also are thought to have been illiterate. Just like her grandfather, however, Susanna could sign herself on documents but this is thought to be the only writing ability of hers.
Harry Walles
My MC is a... Ghoul

Postby Louis Walles » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:03 pm

Napoleon Bonaparte was a famous solider, who died on May 5th, 1821 in St Helena, south Atlantic. He was also the first emperor of France.

There are several fun facts I have found about him so I share just a few:

1. Napoleon is often mocked about his height in the modern times. He was apparently 1.67m tall, which at the time, made him taller than most Europeans.

2. It is believed that Napoleon had one illegitimate son, called Charles Leon (1806-1881).

3. In France, it is illegal to name a pig Napoleon.

4. His wife was Josephine de Beauharnais, and they married in 1796. Together they had a daughter called Hortense. His daughter married his brother, as unusual as it may sound.
Louis Walles
My MC is a... Sea Serpent

Return to Low Tide & High Tea