Week Two - Task #05. - “Sinking Slowly”

Moderator: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Week Two - Task #05. - “Sinking Slowly”

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:30 am

As the song and dance conclude, the lobsters leap into the water one after another, and you offer a huge round of applause.

The Mock Turtle's grey gaze follow you as you take in the strange sight of the water reaching your feet. Its hue is unlike any ocean you've visited before, but there's something else that’s oddly familiar.

They respond to your mental inquiry with, "It's the Ginger Spice Sea," indicating the aroma you could swear you’ve smelled recently. "Have you never swam in waves of herbal tea? The ginger here provides a stimulating kick.”

They have such a gentle, languid demeanor, and sad countenance, it’s difficult not to smile imagining the Mock Turtle capable of being energized by anything.

Changing the subject, you ask if they’ve seen any muffins lying around, explaining your situation and pulling out the mysterious note you found, presenting it for them to read.

The Mock Turtle utters a hum, "Ah, yes, definitely the Knave of Hearts who's written this."

They look as if they might fall asleep at the drop of a shell, so you rush to ask where you might find this knave.

Barely able to keep their eyes open at this point, the Mock Turtle yawns out “You’ll need a Relation Ship,” while poking a flipper back toward the ginger colored water before nodding off entirely.

Turning toward the herbal sea, you’re bewildered to find there actually is ship there bobbing in the brew next to a dock you hadn’t previously noticed. There’s no way you could have missed it before, you think. It must have popped right out from the deep!

Arriving at the vessel, you're dismayed to find it completely deserted with no assistance or provisions of any kind.

The blood-red sails billow in the breeze, and the helm twists from side to side, yet the ship appears to remain in one place, though no anchor or tether is visible.

Where am I supposed to go even if I figure out how to make this thing work?

“Need a hand?”

Right before your eyes is a tiny paw, shaking its little fingers in your direction. The surprise of it suddenly appearing (while completely unattached to any other body parts) causes you to jump in alarm and cry out.

A cat's mouth turns up and curls into a toothy smile, giving a soft purr of amusement, as its uniquely vibrant fur became more visible, from its head to the tip of its tail.

“Sorry,” says the cat, hovering beside you. “I sometimes forget that I’m often not… all there. People can't help but feel as if I'm not completely present."

Accepting the apology, you ask if the cat knows how to sail the ship.

“Certainly,” it raises its curved, striped back, then scampers onto the ship's wheel. "Two people need to be in control. Then she'll get you to wherever you desire.

“Well,” you say, skeptically taking hold of the helm yourself, “I'd like to find the Knave of Hearts.”

As the last word escapes your mouth, the ship starts moving at such a rapid pace you have to grip the helm tightly to avoid being thrown off.

Before you’re able to react, the ship begins to sink into the Ginger Spice Sea. In no time, you're totally submerged and trying not to freak out, while the cat looks on with a tranquil expression.

At first, the zesty flavor that fills your mouth is unsettling as you sink deeper, wondering how you’ll ever survive this. But as you begin to sip the tea, you feel a sense of relief, like you're inhaling fresh air.

The thumping heart in your chest is slow in returning to a resting rate. You're nervous about what the future holds. Who even is this Knave of Hearts?

As you descend further into the tea, it feels increasingly less moist. As if floating in a hot air balloon, rather than a boat.

In fact, the ship is no longer there!

One moment you’re holding onto the helm, then the next, it’s gone —along with the cat!— and you’re sinking slowly downward all alone in the dark for a long, long time.

“After this, I shall think nothing of falling out of bed,” you say, looking for a bright side.

Brightness of any kind would welcome at this point, you think, attempting miserably to ignore the darkness.

Where did that naughty little feline disappear to?

Task:
Solve the following Fallen Letters to land safely, then Send Me Your Solution through a private message!

{click for puzzle}

Alternatively you may post 150 words about a Relationship from your life where someone’s had a helpful impact in some way, however big or small, or contribute a Spill The Tea research piece in 150 words or more, sharing interesting, unusual, or little known facts in your own words about any person throughout history.

This task is worth 15 beans, with an additional 15 bonus beans for completing all Week Two tasks by end of activity. Deadline is 11:59pm (HOL time) on Sunday April 30th.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Re: Week Two - Task #05. - “Sinking Slowly”

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:38 pm

Solved by:
Lex Green
Maeve Madden
Louis Walles
Harry Walles
Prof. Will Lestrange
Aquaria Sandalwood
Janne Halla
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Elena Galatas
Anne-Marie Gagne
Aurelia West
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Re: Week Two - Task #05. - “Sinking Slowly”

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:15 pm

Solution:
{click for full size}

"Sip, sip, sip the brew, gently drink it down. Sink into a pool of tea, then drift toward the ground."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Return to Low Tide & High Tea