Chapter One-Introduction & A Few Minor Details

Moderators: Ariella McManus, Shiloh Adlar, Book Club Mods

Chapter One-Introduction & A Few Minor Details

Postby Ariella McManus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:04 am

Welcome to the Nook! Pull up a comfy chair and make yourselves at home :) On the table to your right, there should be muffins, provided they haven't all been gobbled up by Peeves. Seriously, our muffins here in the Roost are legendary; so grab 'em while they last! But I digress..

Books! Books! Books! I think it's safe to assume that your love of reading has led you here, and we are certainly glad it did :) Nothing is more thrilling than cracking open a new book and getting lost in the adventure that the pages hold. You know what's even better? Sharing that with friends! Through games, discussions, and whatever other means our collective brains can devise, we mean to do just that.

(It's a good thing I never tried to write that book; because I sure can ramble!) If I get too annoying, remind me that there was a reason I didn't like Lord of the Rings :lol: Anyway, I digress (nothing new, I know). Let me tell you a bit about some of the things we have planned..

The Fun Stuff

1. Shiloh and I would love to make this as much like a 'real' Book Club as possible. And what would a Book Club be without the 'book of the month'?! Well, in this case, it will be the Bi-Monthly Book, but you get the point. Every other month, we will vote on a book that everyone would read and then discuss. We hope to have enough members to net us a wide variety of genres, so there should always be something for everyone. Feel free to nominate your favourite book; we love suggestions!

2. Each month there will be various contests, trivia games, etc. Of course every contest needs a prize; and while we can't disclose yet what that prize will be; suffice it to say that we think you'll like it. Again, participation is the name of the game, so please jump in as often as you can!!

3. Of course, there will be the 'usual suspects'-favourite book/author, novels vs movies, etc. Please feel free to start a discussion thread; silence is NOT always golden! We are a nook, not a library, so you don't even have to use your 'indoor voice' :)

That's the gist of things; we'll tweak and refine as necessary. Like any good novel, the Nook (now under new management) may take time to get off the ground; but with your help, we know that it will be a success. And now..

A Few Minor Details

Shiloh and I are not big on rules, but every good organization has them, so we figured it was only wise that we follow suit. Basically:

1. Respect for your fellow members is a MUST. Opinions are just that..opinions. They are not fact. You may think that Lord of the Rings is the greatest literary achievement ever. I on the other hand..not so much. Neither of us is wrong ( though I think you are :-P ). Like anything one is passionate about, discussions can sometimes get heated, but let's keep it in check, okay? Good.

2. Remember that this is an HOL forum, thus HOL rules apply. Keep it PG please; we don't want Kyrie or Sil to banish us to the ..umm...you don't want to know.

3. Anyone can start a thread, but please check first to see if a similar one has already been started by someone else. We don't really need twenty "What is your favourite.." threads, now do we?!

4. This is a biggie!!! If you have any suggestions on how we can make this place better; please feel free to send either of us a PM. And most importantly of all, if the muffins are burnt-it's Cassie's fault :cool:
“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”
Ariella McManus
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Return to The Book Nook