Aboard the Hogwarts Express

Grab your robe and spellbooks and join a topic!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Aboard the Hogwarts Express

Postby Matilde Rayne » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:16 am

((Hi everyone! In case you don't know what "RPotM" stands for, you can read about that here. For those that do, welcome! We're hoping to have this topic cover the time spent on the Hogwarts Express on the way to the school, leading up to the Sorting Ceremony - but we'll see where this topic goes by the end of the month. Aside from that basic scenario, we're open to pretty much anything happening. Maybe don't derail the train or anything... << But any reasonable plot twists are welcome, haha.

On a more personal note, I'm starting with my first year character, Caroline. I might bring Mattie in later if there's need/want for an older character, prefect, etc.))

With a huff of effort, Caroline lifted her trunk from the platform and pulled it onto the train. Taking a moment to catch her breath, she once again marveled at what was going on around her. It was just a few short weeks ago that she had found out she was a witch and that magic was a real thing, and now here she was, ready to head off to Hogwarts. Her uncle - coincidentally also a muggle-born - had tried to prepare her for the experience, but it was one thing to hear about pet owls and charmed paper airplanes and ink that changed color, and another thing entirely to see things for herself. The experience was mesmerizing, and Caroline could hardly stand for the excitement.

With a final wave at her parents, Caroline started tugging her trunk down along the train, trying to find a place to sit. Most compartments were already occupied by older students, and Caroline was quite sure they would rather spend their trip catching up with friends than entertaining a brand new first year. Finally, she found an empty compartment. After stowing her trunk, she took a seat, and glanced out the window. She wasn't entirely sure what time it was, but there were very few students still on the platform, so she expected the train would be leaving soon.
Matilde Rayne
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Re: RPotM: Aboard the Hogwarts Express

Postby Kim Alting » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:45 am

After a 40-minute drive with the Muggle car (they couldn't risk to be seen by the Muggle neighbours) they arrived at platform 9 3/4. Alice's father knew about the Wizarding World, but it kept amazing him everytime they went to this platform. Alice's brother John immediately ran off to his friends and Alice looked a little anxious at her parents. Her father helped her to get all her stuff onto the train, but Alice wanted to carry Lola, her snowowl, herself. She already grew fond of her.

Alice gave her parents and her little sister a last hug and she went looking for a place to sit. At the end there were two compartments. One completely empty, while in the other was a single girl. Alice hesitated... She went to the compartment with the girl in it and knocked. The girl jumped. "Sorry to startle you", said Alice. "Do you mind if I join you?". Awaiting the answer, she heard a whistle. The train was leaving.
Kim Alting
My MC is a... Doxy

Postby Prof. Maxim Trevelyan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:04 am

'...and promise to behave,' Maxim dutifully nodded at the small lecture his mother was giving him. The boy was sure that his father would have something to add as well, but he was too amazed by numerous witches and wizards that were also saying goodbye to their children. Honestly, his father was more excited about the prospect of magic than he was. Must be a comic book thing.

'George,' Breanna huffed and tugged on her husband's jacket. 'GEORGE!' she yelled and both men jumped lightly. His father cleared his throat and nodded, 'Yes, join that sports team, Kwidich.' Maxim rolled his eyes, 'Honestly tad, I don't even know if they allow first years to join. And it's called Quidditch,' he informed them when he was suddenly pulled into a tight hug. 'Don't forget to write us weekly. Or more if something happened,' Breanna smiled and her eyes filled with unshed tears. ' 'Course I will mummy,' Maxim smiled and hugged his parents again, before he stepped onto the Hogwarts Express.

With some difficulty, Maxim dragged his trunk and cat basket along while he searched for an empty compartment. He had no luck, until he chanced upon two girls that looked to be the same age as him. Grabbing the opportunity, Maxim started, 'Can I join you?' he asked. 'All other compartments are full till now and I so don't want to drag that,' he pointed to his trunk and basket, 'All the way till the end of the train only to find that others are full as well. I don't fancy coming back, where I ought to stay in the first place. So, is this your first time in magical world? Mine is, you see. My family is all, oh what's the word that they used...Muggles, yes! Honestly, my tad is more excited than me, he should've gone to Hogwarts instead. Have you read about the Houses? What House do you think you'll go to?' Maxim quickly rattled off, seemingly not even taking a breath.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
My MC is a... Mackled Malaclaw

Postby Matilde Rayne » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:04 pm

The knock behind her caused Caroline to turn abruptly; for a heartbeat her eyes widened with surprise, and she found herself facing another girl who looked to be about her age. Without hesitation, as after all, she was alone and certainly didn't need the entire compartment to herself, she answered, "I don't mind at all!"

She shifted a little closer to the window to allow the girl more room to come into the compartment, and as she did so, she noticed the snowy owl the girl was carrying. Caroline couldn't help herself and exclaimed, "Oh, what a gorgeous owl!"

Before she could continue on and ask the girl's name - she briefly wondered if she should have done that first, but that was water under the bridge at this point - another student appeared, this time a boy, who also looked to be about the same age as Caroline and the other girl. After he asked if he could join them, Caroline prepared to tell him yes, assuming that the girl that joined her also didn't mind, but before she could get a word in, the boy continued on and on... Caroline was a little bemused, but gave a slight smile, waiting for the boy to finish.

"Of course you can join us, as long as my friend here doesn't mind," Caroline told him, glancing over at her the girl who had first joined her. "Do you need any help with your trunk? And what are both of your names, by the way? Mine's Caroline."

She paused for a moment, considering what else the boy had said, before continuing, "My parents are Muggles too, though I have an uncle who I just found out about a week ago is a wizard. I've talked with him some, but this is definitely a new experience for me too." Turning to the girl, she added curiously, "How about you?"

Caroline was vaguely aware of what the boy meant by Houses; she had read a little about them in her History of Magic book, though she spent much more time reading her charms and herbology and transfiguration texts than she had history. Not wanting to sound foolish, she chose not to say anything just yet, hoping her companions would have more to say on the matter.
Matilde Rayne

Postby Prof. Maxim Trevelyan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Maxim nodded when the girl in the compartment said that he could join in. 'I hope you don't mind,' he turned to the other one and grinned. 'I'm quite the gentleman you see. So, if you want me to scamper off, just say so. I'll either butt my way in another compartment or spend my journey to Hogwarts in the hallway. It might be a bit bumpy, but hey, it'll be an adventure,' the boy nodded and moved gently around the standing girl to the side where the seats weren't yet taken.

'Please, yes, I think I'm a little too short to push my trunk all the way to the top,' Maxim said gratefully. He gently put the basket on the seat next to him and moved to his trunk. He yelped when he stubbed his toe. 'Dang it!' Maxim jumped and jiggled his hurt foot. 'That's like, fifth time today!' 11-year-old moaned and pouted. At the mention of the girl's name he faced her, his eyes lightening up. 'Maxim Trevelyan, at your service misses,' he bowed. 'You can call me Max, Maxi, Maxim, Trevelyan, I answer to all. I just hope there won't be another Max in the year, might get a little awkward. Or Trevelyan! I mean, what are the chances?' he said to himself, as usual unaware that he rambled. People who were used to him mostly ignored half the stuff he said.

'Oh yes, I thought I'll be the only Muggleborn around,' Maxim said relieved. He knew that was a slim chance, but the small pang of fear was there for a moment or so. 'I don't know any wizards myself, known or unknown, though my math teacher looked like a hag, so perhaps she's one? Mean too,' Maxim murmured, making his dislike of math, and the person teaching it, obvious. 'I really hope that there isn't any math at Hogwarts.' He waited for the still unnamed girl to answer some questions and he thought that it was a perfect time to again try and move his trunk to the middle of the compartment.

Suddenly, very annoyed meowing reached his ears. 'Don't be such a sourpuss,' Maxim said to the basket and uncovered it. 'You were sleeping until now.' As soon as the basket was uncovered, a grey colored maine coon jumped from the basket onto the trunk. 'Get down from there, I don't want to lift your fat behind too. The trunk is heavy enough,' Maxim glared at his cat. It sniffed as if hurt and jumped onto the seat next to Caroline. 'That's Stitch, by the way,' he waved at the cat whose tail swished around slowly.

'Houses, houses, houses,' Maxim continued as he sat back down. 'We read about them with my parents. My mummy likes Ravenclaw the most, smart as she is. Tad is partial to Gryffindor, the house of the brave, but the only thing I know is that Slytherin is definitely not me,' he plowed forward, and ran a hand through his hair. 'I'm just not sneaky enough. My parents always knew when I did something I shouldn't have done,' he narrowed his eyes. Maxim got thirsty, so he opened his trunk and took out a bottle of water. He had some difficulty opening it, but soon he took a long drink, which made him temporarily quiet.

((OOC: As you can see, Maxim is kind of a motor mouth :P Feel free to ignore him or tell him to slow down. He'll try to listen.))
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan

Postby Kim Alting » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:56 pm

Alice stepped into the compartment, just when she wanted to close the door, a rather small boy came in. Before Alice could introduce herself, the boy started to talk and talk... "My name is...", Alice started, but the boy kept talking and she really couldn't get to say anything. "Alice" she said in a softer voice. Alice looked at the other girl, who said her name was Caroline. They both were thinking the same and laughed. The boy stopped for a minute: "Something wrong?" he asked. "No, you were saying?" answered Alice. She wished she didn't ask, because now Maxim began talking about houses. When he took a short break to breathe, Alice began to tell her story to the others in the compartment.

"My father is a Muggle too, you know? But my mom is a witch, which makes me a halfblood". They both do the same type of work, catching bad guys. I want to be like my mother when I grow up, but I am afraid my hard work is not going to pay off. I have a hard time learning things by heart, so History of Magic will be a huge problem". She looked at Caroline and Maxim and asked them what they wanted to become when they finished school. "You look smart", she said to Caroline.
Kim Alting
My MC is a... Doxy

Postby Leonie Hauri » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:46 am

Leonie walked hesitantly down the train corridor. She had been to Hogwarts before, of course, as a first year, but she had spent most of the trip in a compartment to herself watching others go by enviously. This year, she was determined to meet some new people, so she scouted out some compartments with people in them.

Unfortunately, it looked as if her mother had inisisted she be a little too early, for the only compartment she saw any movement in was crammed, and as much as Leonie wanted to meet new people, she didn't want to be crowded. Leonie sighed. "So much for meeting new people," she announced to the air, dramatically throwing her arms in the air. She settled down in a compartment near the front, hoping someone would come by.

"Meanwhile, I've alway got you to talk to, don't I, Finch?" Leonie asked her black spitted cat, Finch. Finch was a recent acquirement after last year, where she had been rather lonely and had decided on the spot she needed a pet. Leonie knew from experience the trolley lady would be coming once the train was more filled with refreshments and snacks, but she had brought some German chocolate her mother had acquired on her travels, and nibbled that instead, doing her best not to get it on her new dress robe.
The Eagles are coming!
Leonie Hauri
My MC is a... Erumpent

Postby Matilde Rayne » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Once sure Maxim hadn't seriously hurt himself somehow, Caroline smiled sympathetically before moving about, trying to give the boy a little more room to get his trunk and basket into the compartment.

"Oh, no," Caroline said, after listening to Max talk about his math teacher, but it did get her wondering - were there other people she had met who were also magical and she just didn't know it? The thought was both exciting and a little unnerving. She added, "I think I've seen that there are some classes involving maths, but it's our choice if we want to take them. I think you're safe."

As Max went to "check in" on the complaining cat in his basket, Caroline took the opportunity to give a nod to Alice, "I think the hard work will pay off, even if it's just in knowing you did the best you could do. We could study together for History of Magic, if you'd like. That might help."

A few moments after Stitch jumped down onto the seat next to her, Caroline went to help Maxim with lifting his trunk. As the trunk slid into place, however, she pinched a few of the fingers on her left hand between the trunk and the luggage rack. With a gasp of surprise, she pulled her hand back abruptly and examined it, but there seemed to be no harm done, just a bit of a sting. Hoping to turn the awkward moment around, she joked, "It'll be a small miracle if we both make it to the school in one piece, it seems, Max..."

Taking her seat again, still shaking out her hand a bit, Caroline commented, "If I'm honest, I'm a little jealous of you, Alice, knowing what you want in the future. I haven't any idea what wizards and witches even do. I've wanted to be a doctor for what seems like forever, but is there like... a magical doctor sort of thing? I suppose there must be..."

Caroline took a moment to watch Stitch; she could have been imagining it, but the maine coon seemed marginally less offended than it had a few minutes before. As she reached out to pet Stitch, she thought on what Maxim had said about the Houses. Gryffindor for the brave, Slytherin for the sneaky, Ravenclaw for the smart - all seemed to be asking for a lot. Hesitantly, she noted, "I was more concerned about making friends than worrying about what House I would end up in, to be honest."
Matilde Rayne

Postby Kim Alting » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:39 pm

Alice looked at Max and Caroline working together to get the heavy trunk onto the luggage rack. "Need any help?" she asked. But they already finished the job. Caroline seemed to have hurt her finger. "Well, I think Madam Pomfrey will see the two of you a lot", Alice chuckled. "Who is that?" Caroline asked. Alice began to explain quickly, before Max would take over.

"Well, Madam Pomfrey is the nurse at Hogwarts. She is what you can call a doctor for the Wizarding World. Think you might like her Caroline, since you want to be a doctor and all. But the job you're looking for is that of a Healer".
Alice always wanted to be an Auror ór a Healer, but it depends much on her grades. She would love to study together with Caroline and Max (if he needed math help).

"Anything from the trolley dears?" Alice heard someone say. When the trolley stopped in front of the compartement they were sitting in, Alice saw a girl with blond hair and pale blue eyes buying some candy. She looked a bit older then Alice, maybe she was a second year? "Do you want any candy?" She asked Max and Caroline. " I think I will buy a chocolate frog, I want to collect all the Famous Wizarding cards".

Kim Alting
My MC is a... Doxy

Postby Prof. Maxim Trevelyan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:41 pm

When the other girl identified herself as Alice, Maxim gently waved at her from his position. She talked about her parents and how she was a half-blood. Maxim crinkled her face at the term. 'Half-blood?' he questioned. 'Really, who comes up with these expressions,' he shook his head. 'Really, that just makes it sounds as if they're half human and half from another race. Like mermaids,' he nodded. 'Do you think mermaids really exist?' he wondered. Witches and wizards were real, and from his short trip to Diagon Alley, he found out that vampires and trolls exist too. So his question really wasn't that stupid. 'Or is it too presumptuous to call them mermaids? Mermen? Mermaidens? Merpeople?' Maxim questioned and shrugged his shoulders after a while. 'I guess we'll see.'

'History of Magic sounds fascinating though,' he exclaimed. 'Just imagine, we get to learn everything about magic and how it came to be. Or perhaps of wizarding wars!' Maxim was excited. He really liked History in his school, which was already interesting, so he figured that if magic was in the mix, it might be even better.

'There is a math class?' Max moaned and slumped on his seat. 'That's just not fair,' he shook his head, his hair obstructing the view of his eyes. 'I really hope we have a choice to take it. I'll guess that's just one class I'll not be in,' he muttered.

Together with Caroline, they managed to put his trunk on one of the racks. It was difficult, but they managed at the end, however, not without casualties. Stitch meowed again and resumed his lazy tail flicking, narrowing his eyes at Maxim. 'Oh, don't be superior, it's not as you helped any,' he shot back at his cat. Boy turned to Caroline and winced with sympathy. 'Are you okay?' he asked, though the question seemed to be a bit moot, because obviously she got hurt. He rummaged through his jeans' pockets for one thing he always carried with him. He took out a couple of plasters and offered them to Caroline. 'My mummy always makes me carry these with me,' Maxim shrugged. 'You can choose between Batman or Superman ones. I'm afraid I don't have anything girly or plain,' he mused. He laughed at Caroline's remark. 'Hey, look on the bright side, at least we'll spend time in hospital together. You with your hand and me and my poor feet.'

'Oh, I have no idea what I'll do,' Maxim shrugged. He was eleven and hadn't really thought about it much. 'I know I wanted to be a football player when I was younger,' he snickered, but then stopped. Did they have football in wizarding world? From what he and his dad read, there wasn't a game like that anywhere in the sports books. Everything seemed to revolve around broomsticks. 'I really have to see what kind of subjects are there and what I'll be good at. Perhaps something with animals?' Maxim shrugged.

Stitch purred under Caroline's petting and stood up to move further on her lap. He kneaded Caroline's legs and made himself comfortable. 'Oi, ask for permission first!' Max hissed at him and moved to remove Stitch from Caroline's lap. Quick as lightning, Stitch's paws swiped towards Max's hand, and just barely managed to miss him. Maxim basically growled at him and moved to sit down again. 'Feel free to push him off,' he told his new-found friend. 'He thinks he's the king of the world,' he watched the cat close his eyes and could swear the cat smirked for a moment. 'Or queen is more appropriate here,' Maxim snickered, but quieted down when Stitch opened one eye and glared at him.

'Girl like you? Both of you? I bet you'll make fast friends. Out of hundreds of kids at Hogwarts, you're bound to find at least one good friend,' Max nodded. He wasn't particularly worried about friends, he always seemed to make a few himself, no matter where he was. His pushy personality was a part of that. 'Look, you've already got me and Alice,' he said and smiled brightly.

Max looked at Alice and asked, 'You said your mother was a witch,' he continued. 'What does she do for a living? Or your father?' Maxim quieted when an older lady with a trolley full of candy asked them if they wanted anything. He rummaged through his pockets and found some wizarding money, and couple of with Muggle coins. He never saw that kind of array of sweets before.

'Oh! I'll have three chocolate frogs, one cauldron cake and five Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans,' he ordered excitedly. He particularly wanted to try the beans.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan

Postby Matilde Rayne » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:04 am

((Hey Kim, just mentioning, since it can be easy to miss, sent you a PM :) ))
Matilde Rayne

Postby Kathren Johnsun » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:47 pm

Kathren hurried onto the train after saying goodbye to her parents. Her dad's potion had taken a little longer than he had hoped (again) and since he didn't believe in using a stasis charm so it could be finished later she had almost missed the train. She had been able to help him bottle it for storage/sale to try to get out the door faster. At least she could side-apparate with them so she wouldn't miss it all together. She heard some commotion coming from a compartment that appeared to hold a couple of first years, but since she didn't want to listen in on their conversation, she decided to move on. Eventually she came across a compartment that had a fellow Ravenclaw second year. She didn't really know her that well since neither of them were super social, but she decided to try sitting there since it was better than sitting with the first years.

"Can I sit here?"
Ravenclaw for Life
Pandora's Box - BBO 2016
Kathren Johnsun
My MC is a... Fairy

Postby Leonie Hauri » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:41 pm

Leonie Hauri was half-listening to the loud noises coming from the other compartment, pretending to wonder scornfully if she had ever been so noisy, when she heard footsteps. She glanced up to see one of the girls in her year at the door. She vaguely recognized the girl, and thought her name was Cathy or something like that, but didn't really know her. "Can I sit here?" the girl asked.

Leonie nodded. "Yeah, sure. My name's Leonie. Leonie Hauri." Leonie didn't know whether this Cathy girl knew her name or not, and decided reluctantly that if she did, it sounded pretty silly to introduce yourself to someone who already knew you. "And, uh, your name is? I mean, it's sort of like Cathy, right? But I don't think it quite is," Leonie said. She fidgeted with the hem of her sleeve, hoping she hadn't sounded too awkward.
The Eagles are coming!
Leonie Hauri
My MC is a... Erumpent

Postby Matilde Rayne » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:43 am

Caroline gratefully took a plaster from Maxim, smiling and thanking him as she wrapped it around a finger that had been nicked. Making light of the situation, she continued to joke, "Maybe next month we can switch it around to give my hands and your feet a break."

She let out a laugh at the exchange between Maxim and his cat, moving her hand aside briefly to give Stitch more room to curl up on her lap. She had never had a pet before, nor had she been able to convince her parents to allow her one at school, but she could already tell it would have been a hard decision for her choosing between a cat like Stitch, full of personality, or a gorgeous owl, like Alice's. She scratched the cat between the ears idly, commenting on Maxim's football mention, "I'm not so sure about football. I've read a little about wizarding sports, and it seems most involve flying. Or things on fire, though I'm not sure that's played anymore, actually... Quidditch does sound interesting, though I'm having a hard time imagining what it would be like to watch."

Caroline smiled brightly back at Maxim's mention that the three of them might very well be friends and said cheerfully, "Yes, it appears I do have you and Alice - and Stitch too, it seems!" More quietly, she added,"Though it is a bit sad thinking about the friends I'm leaving behind, as well. Muggles, you know. I couldn't even tell them where I was going or why. I'll see them in the summer, of course, but it won't be the same..."

When the trolley with candy came by, though, despite a lingering inkling of guilt at leaving her Muggle friends the way she did, Caroline's attention was immediately drawn to all of the fantastically colored treats - some of which even seemed to be moving slightly.

"Oh, wow," she exclaimed. She pulled a few coins out of her pocket, remembering that her parents had given her a little spending money. The idea of galleons, sickles, and knuts was still a strange one to her, but all the snacks were well-marked, so she chose a chocolate frog and a pumpkin pasty for herself. Looking over at Alice questioningly, she asked, "What are famous wizarding cards? Do they come with the chocolate frogs, then?"
Matilde Rayne

Postby Matilde Rayne » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:05 pm

((Now that the question of whether this topic can still be posted in has been answered - would anyone be interested in continuing? Even if we have to jump ahead or move characters around a bit, I'd personally like to see this topic through the Sorting. Poor Caroline and all the other first-years-to-be don't have houses yet!))
Matilde Rayne

Next

Return to RPG