Must you use your super powers?

Debate Club

Moderators: Prof. Kendra Givens, Prof. Alexander Brighton, Amy Smith, Ravenclaw Staff

Must you use your super powers?

Postby Gail Allen » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:06 pm

There is a new Avengers movie out and that made me ponder the question: If you have super powers, are you obligated to use them to help others, or would you be within your rights to live a quiet life?
Gail Allen
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Re: Must you use your super powers?

Postby Prof. Alexander Brighton » Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 pm

I think it would be good and nice if a person with super powers used them to help others, it might make the world a better place with less crimes. But I think it's everyone's right to live the quiet life if that's what they want, even if they had super powers. They wouldn't necessarily have to use them to help others. But I know if I had super powers, I would want to use them and I would use them to help others when I could.
Prof. Alexander Brighton
Professor

Postby Finn Cullen » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Every individual has something they can do better than someone else. Are they obligated to use that ability? A superpower is just an extreme example of some personal talent and there is likewise no obligation to deploy it for the greater good.

However one could argue that it is morally and ethically good to do so - in which case that also applies to every skill and talent possessed by the individual.

This however then raises the further question of whether there is an absolute definition of moral and ethical goodness, and if there is such an absolute definition is that definition discernible and agreed on by all? Unless this is the case then the deployment of abilities, mundane or extra-mundane, will be determined by the choices of the possessor of same.
Hello everyone my name is Finn Cullen and I'm a Ravenclaw!
Finn Cullen
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Postby Aurelia West » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:59 pm

I agree with Finn’s point on how it ultimately comes down to a question of ethics and morality, which each person may perceive differently. Objectively speaking, no one has to do anything if they don’t want to, so any given person with super powers is under no contract to use them. Considering the mental and physical duress superheroes put themselves under nearly everyday depending on the average crime rate and saturation of heroes, becoming a hero is a large thing to ask someone to do.

I would say it depends upon the environment and societal influences surrounding any given person. In a world where citizens find themselves with little hope, it may be more expected for any person with a special ability to use it. Whereas in a more peaceful area, it is likely less frowned upon to pursue a quiet life.
Aurelia West
My MC is a... Jobberknoll

Return to Bird to Differ