Harry Potter: Dumbledore: Friend or Foe?

Debate Club

Moderators: Prof. Kendra Givens, Prof. Alexander Brighton, Amy Smith, Ravenclaw Staff

Harry Potter: Dumbledore: Friend or Foe?

Postby Emily Spencer » Mon May 03, 2021 3:06 pm

Albus Dumbledore is probably one of the most beloved characters of Harry Potter. Everyone loves Dumbledore, right? Wrong! I am not the biggest fan of the late Headmaster; allow me to explain why.

In my opinion, Dumbledore blatantly used Harry Potter. He manipulated a child to do his dirty work. It didn't matter if Harry got hurt or even killed; he served Dumbledore's purpose and really, that was all that mattered. Granted, one could argue that saving the Wizarding World is a noble purpose, but it should never have fallen squarely on the shoulders of an unsuspecting child; especially a child that you groomed specifically for that purpose. Dumbledore may have liked Harry, but I can almost guarantee that if it had been revealed that someone else (looking at you, Neville) had turned out to be the 'chosen one' then Harry's favored status with Dumbledore would have ended quite quickly.

What are your thoughts on this matter?
Emily Spencer
My MC is a... Ghoul

Re: Harry Potter: Dumbledore: Friend or Foe?

Postby Amy Darvill » Tue May 04, 2021 12:25 am

I'm definitely one of the ones whose opinion of Dumbledore had changed by the last book. To be fair, I always questioned sending Harry back to the Dursleys. I understand that they needed to keep the magic spell working, but there had to be much better alternatives.

In fact, that is something that I had read before, that sending him to the Dursleys, made Harry more grateful for coming to the magical world, and more grateful to Dumbledore. Never mind that they could have worked out a system where he stayed with the Dursleys the minimum of time, before staying even with Mrs. Figg. I suppose once I read about how Dumbledore was willing to let Harry die to save the world, it was harder to go back and not see at least some shade of manipulation in everything he did.
Amy Darvill
My MC is a... Horklump

Postby Aurelia West » Tue May 04, 2021 1:53 am

While I think that more of the reveals of Dumbledore's past in the last book made him a more compelling character rather than just a mentor for Harry, I do think that several of the actions he took were very manipulative and some unnecessary. Leaving him at the Dursley's may have been the move at the time considering the upheaval the wizarding world was thrown into following Voldemort's 'demise', but just leaving them there for 10 years while he was clearly suffering from neglect seems like willful ignorance to me. It doesn't take too much to send someone to check in on Harry every once in a while, and it's not as if the Dursley's, particularly Vernon, kept their dislike of Harry a secret.

Though Dumbledore could always come up with a reason for his actions and he even apologized to Harry for what he put him through towards the end of the series, he wouldn't have needed to do any of that if he trusted people well enough on their own instead of feeling he had to manipulate their actions to get the end result he felt was best.
Aurelia West
My MC is a... Jobberknoll

Postby February Fortescue » Sun May 09, 2021 6:28 pm

I don't believe Dumbledore changed much from his youth. He always believed in the "Greater Good" and himself as a brilliant, smarter-than-your-above-average wizard who should be in charge, and it was unsurprising that he placed himself in the role of making the big decisions without including anyone else in on his full plans or thought processes. He did this for nearly everyone, and the only character who ever noticed or questioned him on it was Severus Snape. Snape made the decision to continue, but Harry, who trusted Dumbledore, had no idea how he was being used, but, knowing Harry, he would have continued on anyway, which he did. But to me there is something really creepy about Dumbledore using Harry and making those huge decisions for him, including sacrificing him.
February Fortescue
My MC is a... Bowtruckle

Postby Prof. Will Lestrange » Fri May 14, 2021 3:33 am

I completely agree with Emily on everything she said! I actually came up with something called "Dumbledore Challenge" - which consists of carefully rereading the first two chapters of the series (while knowing how everything played out), paying attention to Albus Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagall, and the Dursleys. The "challenge" part was to see if your opinion about Dumbledore had changed throughout your reread.

The reason I think the challenge is so poignant is that upon reread, you can see how much work Professor McGonagall puts in to watch out for Harry, and how Headmaster Dumbledore dismisses Professor McGonagall's reasonable, legitimate concerns with... well... not telling her (who at this point is essentially his second in command) anything close to the whole truth. And Professor McGonagall is expected to go along with that, while Harry is left to spend ten years of suffering - then being forever in debt to the headmaster as his first 'friendly' contact in his memory! (Well, all right, Rubeus Hagrid was Harry's first true friendly contact, but given that Hagrid was loyal enough to Dumbledore that he didn't allow others to criticise Dumbledore in his presence...)
Prof. Will Lestrange
My MC is a... Re'em

Postby Emily Spencer » Tue May 18, 2021 2:29 am

You bring up a very good point, Will. Going back and rereading that shows Dumbledore's character blatantly spelled out from the very beginning. You've made me want to go back and read the books again to see what else I might have missed :)
Emily Spencer
My MC is a... Ghoul

Postby Rhaneyra Black » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:26 am

I had watched the movies regarding Dumbledore's character at first. So I had never had any issues with him, till I realized something. Why did he keep sending that poor boy continually back to the Dursley's, even though he obviously and blatantly knew of how they were treating him. Blood wards could not have been the only reason. I had not once seen a death eater, or Voldemort ever say "Let's look for Potter in Little Whinging."

Another thing, when I watched the final movie, I was a bit upset with the way Dumbledore behaved, setting up Harry to be killed, but reading about it, when I ended up getting the books, my blood blatantly boiled. At the beginning he was a child! How did no one notice how he acted after returning from the Dursleys. And the Weasleys had to have complained about the bars on his window. And his actions in Book 6 Order of the Phoenix made so much sense. It wasn't that he distanced himself because of the Dark Lord, he had to remember that this boy, was going to die by the Dark Lords hand anyway.
Rhaneyra Black
My MC is a... Ramora

Postby Anne-Marie Gagne » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:09 am

Oh boy do I have some Thoughts about one Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. Basically, I think Albus Dumbledore was so far up his own bum that he thought he knew best for everyone in the magical world and wouldn't do anything unless he thought it would help his plan to make the magical world to be what he wanted it to be.

First, he sent a child back to relatives who abused him. One can say that Harry never really confessed that they abused him, just told him that they didn't like him. But Dumbledore put him with them even with the warning from McGonagall. He should have checked up on him personally. He put a squib on the next street over like that was enough protection for him. I'm sure Mrs. Figg told him what she saw happen to Harry.

Also on that thread of thought, who leaves a 15 month old child on a doorstep in the middle of the night?! It was November! It had to have been freezing and also a kid is walking by 15 months. Considering Harry was riding a broom, he was definitely walking. He could have walked away!

Moving on to Harry's first year. He basically dangled the Philosopher's Stone in front of Harry's face! Had Hagrid get the stone from Gringott's at the same time that he took Harry to get his school supplies. Dumbledore knows that Hagrid can't keep a secret for anything. He knows that an eleven year old child is gonna be curious about something that someone is being extra shifty about.

Also those tasks? Were absolutely a test for Harry more than a deterrent for Voldemort. I refuse to believe that those were the actual protections the professors came up with. I believe Dumbledore changed them for the trio to get through them. It's the only thing that makes sense to me and I refuse to believe anything else.

Harry's second year is honestly one of the worse ones where we see Dumbledore doing jack all for not just Harry, but Hagrid as well. Dumbledore should have stepped in when the school turned against Harry. But we know why he didn't. Dumbledore wrote Tom Riddle off as an evil wizard at eleven when he visited him to give him his letter all because he was a Parselmouth. (Let's not get into Dumbledore making another small child go back to an abusive situation in the middle of a war where bombs were falling all over London.)

I'm gonna stop here but I have issues with just about everything Albus Dumbledore has ever done. Especially about him keeping valuable information about everything to himself and barely letting anyone in the know on things that they should have known from the get go in order to do the job he gave them properly.

So do I think he's a friend or a foe? Definitely a foe for the sole purpose of him refusing to lift a finger to help unless it benefits his worldview.

Merlin I despise this man.
Anne-Marie Gagne
Reserve Prefect

Postby Blake Gaunt » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:55 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with the original poster. Dumbledor is not my favorite by far. There are far darker wizards that I would gladly take a seat next to before accepting the presence of Dumbledor. I agree that Dumbledor used Harry and knew exactly what he was doing. Dumbledor showed exactly how easy it is to manipulate a child, especially one who’s been previously abused, by making them trust you and fully grooming them into following you blindly. The fate of the world should have never been put on Harry without him being fully explained the risks, and the most probable outcome for his being. Dumbledor repeatedly sent Harry back to the Dursleys and I believe this was just another tactic he used. If he sent Harry back to the Dursleys where they were abusive to him proudly and without regard, then Dumbledor would appear to be the saving grace at the beginning of every school year. He knew what he was doing and even if the Wizarding World was at risk, Harry should have been more aware of what he was agreeing to. He should have known what he already was as soon as he was capable of understanding yet Dumbledor quite literally stood in the shadows and watched everything unfold just as he had expected.
Blake Gaunt
My MC is a... Flobberworm

Return to Bird to Differ