Real World: Stirred Porridge or not?

Debate Club

Moderators: Prof. Kendra Givens, Prof. Alexander Brighton, Amy Smith, Ravenclaw Staff

Real World: Stirred Porridge or not?

Postby Silvana Mandeville » Mon May 03, 2021 8:34 pm

Porridge is famous in Indonesia, often eaten when breakfast or sick. One of the porridge is called Bubur Ayam or Chicken Porridge. It's like a porridge in general, made by rice which is cooked in boiling water until it becomes soft or very soft to eat. Apart from the rice, there are also many ingredients in it, the main is chickenㅡshredded chicken. Then, there are peanuts, onion leaves, fried onions, rice flour, youtiao, chili sauce, soy sauce, Kerupuk, etc. It's really delicious.

But, aside from the good taste of this porridge, it often cause problems and is heatedly debated which is the best way to eat the Chicken Porridge. Should you stir the porridge first before you eat it or not? For me, I choose to eat the non-stirred Porridge.

And here I am curious about your choices xD. If you try to eat Chicken Porridge, which way you are going to eat it? Stirred or Not Stirred?
Always follow your heart but
remember to bring your brain along.
Silvana Mandeville
Prefect

Re: Real World: Stirred Porridge or not?

Postby Amy Darvill » Tue May 04, 2021 12:31 am

I would personally stir it all together, but I tend to do that with most things. I eat oatmeal with toppings when it's cold, and I always stir the toppings in before I eat it. I'm not sure why, it's just what I do. I suppose it makes it come together more in one bite, whereas unstirred, you are choosing what to include if that makes sense? So since chicken porridge sounds like a savory version of oatmeal, I would do the same.
Amy Darvill
My MC is a... Horklump

Postby Emily Spencer » Tue May 04, 2021 12:32 am

Oooh, this sounds delicious!!!
As pretty and appealing as the non-stirred porridge looks, I would probably opt for the stirred version if I were going to eat it. It seems like a comfort dish, and I'm not sure why, but the stirred version looks more 'homey', thus equating comfortable (at least for me). The non-stirred version looks almost too pretty and worried about presentation if that makes sense. It doesn't give me that 'warm hug' sensation. So now you know :)
Emily Spencer
My MC is a... Ghoul

Postby Mia Fountain » Tue May 04, 2021 12:40 am

Prior to this post I have not heard of chicken porridge before. While both of the pictures of the porridge look delicious, I would choose to stir my porridge. I would stir my porridge to combine all of the flavours together. Rather than taking several bites and eating all of the mix-ins, then being left with the remaining rice.
Mia Fountain
Head Student

Postby Maeve Madden » Thu May 06, 2021 9:19 pm

I have not tried this dish, but it sure looks delicious! With most things, I tend to stir everything together. But, before doing that with the porridge, I would try it un-stirred and see how I like it. That way I have the best of both worlds! With dishes like this, stirring everything together brings the flavours together really nicely.
Maeve Madden
My MC is a... Augurey

Return to Bird to Differ