The "Clever Minded"

All game threads go here

Moderators: Ariella McManus, Mod Squad

Re: The "Clever Minded"

Postby Michelle Erickson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Q: Name the Australian actor who started his career as a Comedian on 'Fast Forward'.

A: Here I guess again, Glenn Robbins

Q: There was a Countess rumored to have bathed in the blood of young women; who was she, when did she live, where did she rule, and how did she die?
"You could be a greater hero than you know. So be kind, do good, and change the world. Because you are capable of that.[/size]
The Doctor is Watching."[/color]
Michelle Erickson
My MC is a... Billywig

Postby Iris Ixchel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:18 am

Q: There was a Countess rumored to have bathed in the blood of young women; who was she, when did she live, where did she rule, and how did she die?

A: Countess Elizabeth Báthory de Ecsed. Live in Hungry between 1560 and 1614. Technically, Countesses don't rule they govern and she governed the area of Sárvár, Kingdom of Hungary. She was imprisoned for life after commiting some pretty awful murders. She was bricked into a room, that only had a small slit for delivering supplies to her and remaind there until her death.

Michelle Erickson wrote:A: Here I guess again, Glenn Robbins

Eric Bana.

Q: How did Rottnest island get it's name? What is it that is actually on the island?
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich...
Iris Ixchel
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Location: Ever wonder where all your socks go? I've got them...they're Mine, ALL MINE! Mwhahaha, ha haha ha ha

Postby Michelle Erickson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Q: How did Rottnest island get it's name? What is it that is actually on the island?

A: I actually know this one! Rottnest Island got it's name from the first settlers.The settlers were Dutch and the name may have come from their words for "rat nest". They named it such due to the existence of the only animal in Australia that won't at least try to kill you, the Quokka.

The Quokka is a very small kangeroo like marsupial, about the size of a large cat, that the settlers may have mistaken for very large and friendly rats. Quokkas are stupidly friendly and may have helped the settlers survive by showing them what was safe and not safe to eat. Even today they will allow tourists and locals to pet them, prompting a law forbidding this activity, and like to lounge around in gardens...Qoukkas are considered a vulnerable species because everything likes to eat them because they try to make friends with everyone and everything.

Q:What is the Multiverse theory?
"You could be a greater hero than you know. So be kind, do good, and change the world. Because you are capable of that.[/size]
Michelle Erickson
My MC is a... Billywig

Postby Iris Ixchel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Q:What is the Multiverse theory?

A: Basically, in less than a dissertation, it's the theory that an unlimited number of universes exist. Each universe is created by any decision or event in another universe differing to the one made in the current universe. This creates unlimited possibilities for the existance, evolution, creation, distruction, etc of all things.

Q: Name the Melburnian brothers taking Hollywood by storm.

Michelle Erickson wrote:Q: They named it such due to the existence of the only animal in Australia that won't at least try to kill you, the Quokka.

The Quokka is a very small kangeroo like marsupial, about the size of a large cat, that the settlers may have mistaken for very large and friendly rats. Quokkas are stupidly friendly and may have helped the settlers survive by showing them what was safe and not safe to eat. Even today they will allow tourists and locals to pet them, prompting a law forbidding this activity, and like to lounge around in gardens...Qoukkas are considered a vulnerable species because everything likes to eat them because they try to make friends with everyone and everything.

I laughed like mad when I read this.
There's a saying in Australia: Bear Grills calls it 'Man vs Wild', we call it camping.
Seriously, if you don't like snakes, spiders and sharks, this is NOT the place for you.
We live in one of the cooler areas of the country and we still get snakes in summer, all of them poisonous around here.
If you want a bit of a laugh about it look up "Come to Australia" by the Scared Weird Little Guys on a video site.

I've actually been to Rottnest Island. The Quokkas are adorable. I went before they banned people from cuddling them.
They will snuggle right up to you and take your lunch right out of your hands. One fell asleep on my leg while we were there and I had to move it to go back to the boat. I was very tempted just to smuggle it home in my backpack.
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich...
Iris Ixchel

Location: Ever wonder where all your socks go? I've got them...they're Mine, ALL MINE! Mwhahaha, ha haha ha ha

Postby Michelle Erickson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Iris Ixchel wrote:
I laughed like mad when I read this.
There's a saying in Australia: Bear Grills calls it 'Man vs Wild', we call it camping.
Seriously, if you don't like snakes, spiders and sharks, this is NOT the place for you.
We live in one of the cooler areas of the country and we still get snakes in summer, all of them poisonous around here.
If you want a bit of a laugh about it look up "Come to Australia" by the Scared Weird Little Guys on a video site.

I've actually been to Rottnest Island. The Quokkas are adorable. I went before they banned people from cuddling them.
They will snuggle right up to you and take your lunch right out of your hands. One fell asleep on my leg while we were there and I had to move it to go back to the boat. I was very tempted just to smuggle it home in my backpack.

Oh yeah, I've heard that song. I found a saying "Australia: Come for the wildlife, stay for the anti-venom" that seems pretty apt for what I know about the country.

Also, "Why is Australia an Island? Mother Nature is trying to protect us!"

And yes! I want to pet a Quokka too...Too bad...
Michelle Erickson
My MC is a... Billywig

Postby Iris Ixchel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:32 pm

Honestly, it's not as bad as everyone makes out. It's actually a pretty good place to live.
Yes, we have them, and yes, I did have to kill a redback with my shoe yesterday and they will chase you if you annoy them (not joking) but it's not like I walk out my backdoor expecting to see a snake.
I've never seen a snake on this property in the 10 years we've been living here, though I have seen them at the local creek. You just learn where not to go for the most part when snakes are concerned.
Spiders are a bit different. I've had poisonous spiders hide in my shoes. We keep a tin of spray on the shoe rack and it's pretty standard policy to check shoes before putting them on.
People in town don't have to worry about it so much but out whoop-whoop you do.
Generally though, you don't worry about that stuff. You're more likely to get done by heat stroke than a snake or spider.
Sharks are a bit of a problem. The nearest beach to us is loaded with them this year for some unknown reason. People keep bringing them in when they go fishing and there have been a coupld of big ones about as well.
It's not as bad in Victoria as it is in South Australia. Mako sharks will go anything, including a Great White.
You also have a problem with crocs in the northern states and there are crocs that eat sharks up that end. Mind you, there are also some sharks that eat crocs.
One of the best things about living where I do is that we're not far from the Southern Right Whales calving waters.
We go down there to see the pods frolicking in the bay in August and September. It's really something amazing to see.
It's the same as anywhere else, there are good and bad things about it but if the good stuff is good enough you don't worry about the bad.
Iris Ixchel

Postby Michelle Erickson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Yeah, I'm a California girl so that is bad!

Q:Name the Melburnian brothers taking Hollywood by storm
A: Back to guessing here, Chris and Liam Hemsworth?

Q: Two signers of the Declaration of Independence died on the very same date. Name who they were, the date they died (in MM/DD/YYYY format please) and where they each died.

Bonus question: One said something about the other before he or she passed, what was it?
Michelle Erickson
My MC is a... Billywig

Postby Iris Ixchel » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:49 am

Q: Two signers of the Declaration of Independence died on the very same date. Name who they were, the date they died (in MM/DD/YYYY format please) and where they each died.

A: John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on 07/04/1826. Adams died in Quincy, Massachusetts, Jefferson died in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Q: Name the wombat from 'A Country Practice'
Iris Ixchel

Postby Lavinia Rookwood » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:08 pm

Q: Name the wombat from 'A Country Practice'

Apparently the wombat was known as 'Fatso', which I find a bit mean, but I guess the wombat didn't much care. Wombats seemed to be the one of the more cuddly creatures of Australia. *Is too much of a city girl and freak out about spiders in shoes, while her dad who grew up in the country had a good laugh*

Q: What is a 'Moya'? Tell me what show she's from, what she is, and any other special details about her.
Lavinia Rookwood
My MC is a... Bicorn

Postby Iris Ixchel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:46 am

Lavinia Rookwood wrote:Q: What is a 'Moya'? Tell me what show she's from, what she is, and any other special details about her.

That's an easy one. Moya was in Farscape, she was the ship. She was a bio-mechinoid, meaning she had both organic and technological parts.
She was actually a giant lifeforem called a Leviathan and was held captive, with the use of a control collar, by the Peacekeepers. When the prisoners she was carrying escaped she did also.

Give a brief explanation of Archimedes' principle.

Lavinia Rookwood wrote: Wombats seemed to be the one of the more cuddly creatures of Australia. *Is too much of a city girl and freak out about spiders in shoes, while her dad who grew up in the country had a good laugh*

Wombats are NOT cuddly, they're actually a bit of a menace. I've seen a car hit a wombat and the car lost. I'm not talking about a little hatchback here either, I'm talking about a family sedan. The car flipped and rolled and the wombat walked away. They also have nasty tempers, my in-laws lost 3 dogs to a territorial wombat.
If you want a cuddle try a quokka, they'll cuddle up next to you and fall asleep, or a koala but you're in grave danger of being scratched and pee'd on with them.
As for the checking shoes for spiders, that's just common sense. I've found a redback or funnel web in my shoes on more than one occasion. I wouldn't be here if I hadn't looked first.
Iris Ixchel

Postby Michelle Erickson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:35 am

The Archimedes Principle is that the force of buoyancy something has is equal to the amount of liquid it displaces...I think, I honestly never understood it.

What is the earliest known identifiable ancestor of the modern equine?
Michelle Erickson
My MC is a... Billywig

Postby Iris Ixchel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:03 am

Michelle Erickson wrote:What is the earliest known identifiable ancestor of the modern equine?

I could write a book on this topic, since it's how hubby's family made their fortune, but for modern horses the identifiable ancestor is considered Equus simplicidens. However, Equus livenzovensis was found to have existed at about the same time, relatively speaking, so either could be correct.

Name the area of the world with the greatest number of sheep per square mile.
Iris Ixchel

Postby Michelle Erickson » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Wales! Or New Zealand

Name the infamous incident involving Roman Emperor Nero
Michelle Erickson
My MC is a... Billywig

Postby Ariella McManus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Michelle Erickson wrote:
Name the infamous incident involving Roman Emperor Nero

The Great Fire of Rome erupted on the night of 18 July to 19 July 64. The fire started at the southeastern end of the Circus Maximus in shops selling flammable goods. It is uncertain who or what actually caused the fire—whether accident or arson.[83] Suetonius and Cassius Dio favor Nero as the arsonist, so he could build a palatial complex. Tacitus mentions that Christians confessed to the crime, but it is not known whether these confessions were induced by torture. At any rate, it is cited that Nero sang "Sack of Illium" in stage costume while the city burned. It is mistakenly known as "Nero fiddled when Rome burned", which is not possible since there were no fiddles in 1st century Rome.

Question: What is the world's only immortal animal?
“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”
Ariella McManus

Postby Michelle Erickson » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:50 am

Depends, what's the given value of Immortality? Immortal compared to Humans? Fruit-flies? Sea Turtles? All of those are immortal in some perspective or another.

The closest animal to true immortality though would be the Turritopsis nutricula, a jellyfish (lovely :roll:).

What shipyard built the original Titanic?
Michelle Erickson
My MC is a... Billywig

PreviousNext

Return to Fun and Games