Happy new year!

Discussion and games lounge

Moderators: Adeline Morior, Katherine Laurier, Lex Green, Ravenclaw Staff

Happy new year!

Postby Gail Allen » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:54 pm

Hello all my fellow eagles
I am about to go celebrate new years with a group of people I have never celebrated new years with before. I have been told what the tradition is here; board games and karaokee and then at midnight of course out and watch fireworks.
But that made me think, how different that is from what my family usually does, and that made me think about how others celebrate new years. So here's a great big

Happy new year

And an invitation to share how you celebrate this day if you do at all, and if you celebrate new year at another time, then how that celebration runs.
I am curious.
Gail Allen
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Re: Happy new year!

Postby Elena Galatas » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:15 pm

My family doesn't really celebrate New Years, honestly. I mean, we stay up to watch the ball drop and that's about it. We make little confetti things and drink champagne, but that's the extent of it. This is the first time I'll experience New Years without my mother, which will be difficult, but I'm happy that the year is ending. I can't wait to see it FREAKING end.

I've never had a boyfriend (on New Years, I've had boyfriends lol) or been to a New Years part or anything, so I've never kissed anyone on New Years either, ha. New Years isn't a big deal for my family, to be honest. It is this year because this year SUCKED, but still...
Last edited by Elena Galatas on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elena Galatas
My MC is a... Chinese Fireball

Postby Prof. Astrid Black » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:09 am

I'm celebrating with board games, food, and various types of drinks. Then at midnight it's firing off the shotguns and starting a bonfire. It's my family and friends but it's a lot of fun honestly. I don't have a person to kiss at midnight but I think after this year that is ok.

Happy New Year guys! May 2017 treat you all better than 2016! It's been a blast on here and I can't wait to see how next year will be!
Prof. Astrid Black
My MC is a... Fire Crab

Postby Prof. Arielle Lemoyne » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Happy New Year!

New Year's isn't really a big deal for my family either. I think we go so overboard with Christmas (we have a big party every night from the 24th-27th, plus activities during the day), that we're just so exhausted when New Year's comes around.

The past couple years I've
-gone to a friend's house to watch movies; fell asleep before midnight
-invited several friends over; fell asleep before midnight leaving them to talk to my mom >>
-threw a party that ended up being just me and one other person
-stayed home by myself and watched TV

So this year was kind of the most exciting New Year's I've had and I just hung out with a couple cousins playing board games and watching Friends. We didn't really do anything New Year's themed other than watching the ball drop, but it was still fun.

I hope your celebrations went well and 2017 is off to a good start!
Arielle Lemoyne | RQT Co-captain | Ravenclaw DHoH
Prof. Arielle Lemoyne
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Postby Scarlett Lacarnum » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:23 am

Happy 2017 to you all!

For the last 5 or 6 New Year's I have gone to my friend's house. They have games, food, karaoke and everyone has to give a silly speech. After midnight we would run outside and play with sparklers. It was lots of fun and we all slept over. They didn't host this year so I was on my own. So instead I just stayed home with my love and love had a nice quiet day in. There were fireworks and champagne of course, I think those are the only two constants.
Scarlett Lacarnum
My MC is a... Clabbert

Postby Dahnwynn Robbins » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:01 am

I'm making my participation in HOL as a Ravenclaw one of my new things in this new 2017.

Each year there are highs and lows, but for me 2016's lows outnumbered its highs. (Sounds as though Elena agrees.) Part of the lows comes from the loss of Alan Rickman, David Bowie, Carrie Fisher. On a more personal note, my best friend Clark and one of my most inspiring English teachers also left this mortality. Not to mention a breakup, a job lost and a broken-down car. Gratefully, my network of family and friends is pretty fantastic and extremely supportive. "Keep Moving Forward," There are high hopes for 2017.

I don't have a regular New Years tradition, other than I usually try to dance. I am a little spontaneous, and this year found me first with family making my nephews a grand blanket fort and playing He-Man Uno, then a service project, dance party and running from the dance party to a pool party 30 minutes before midnight ! I made a new friend, exchanged digits; ate too many spring rolls, sour cream and onion crisps, and believe it or not broccoli; got waterlogged and partially frozen. No kiss at midnight but that's only occurred twice in my life and weren't special. Funny seeing it typed out like that.
Dahnwynn Robbins
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!

Return to Below the Branches