Fun facts chain

Discussion and games lounge

Moderators: Adeline Morior, Katherine Laurier, Lex Green, Ravenclaw Staff

Fun facts chain

Postby Prof. Arielle Lemoyne » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:54 am

You might be familiar with a forum game where someone lists a word, then you list a word it makes you think of, then the next person lists a word it makes them think of, and so on...

This is kind of similar, expect instead of just a word, we're going to share a fun fact about ourselves. Each poster then shares a fact that in some way relates to the post before them.

Try not to be so brief that it will be hard for anyone to think of something they can relate to, or so long that we have to read an essay, but other than that, anything goes! You're also allowed to post as many times as you want, as long as it's not twice in a row.

I'll start: Last week, I spent almost 30 hours driving, and listened to several episodes of This American Life, at least 10 episodes of Good Job, Brain, and did a one-woman production of Hamilton, twice.
Arielle Lemoyne | RQT Co-captain | Ravenclaw DHoH
Prof. Arielle Lemoyne
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Re: Fun facts chain

Postby Prof. Polaris Black » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:27 pm

I always listen to audio books when I drive (any distance). My favorite series to listen to is In Death by J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts) and narrated by Susan Ericksen. I am currently reading the Book Club's April Book Discussion selection, Inkheart. I had to rewind and listen to the end of Atonement a second time because I didn't believe what I was hearing. And I switched from audio to print mid book when listening to Goblet of Fire because I couldn't wait to see what happened.
In memory of Polaris Black
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
Prof. Polaris Black

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:07 pm

I too am going through Inkheart! My physical copy of the book is already packed away, but I have a nice pdf and found a decent audiobook version on Youtube that I am listening to right now while I am work, getting ready for Easter!
Arianna Stonewater
My MC is a... Red Cap

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:16 pm

I too am reading Inkheart but Polaris!! I decided to read all my In Death books, and am going through them in reverse order. I just finished Remember When and now am starting Portrait in Death.

One driving marathon I had was door to door from someplace in Washington state to someplace in California and it was 12 hours door to door. I said I was flying low when asked how I got there so fast. :lol:

Throwing something new into the pot -- I like to knit but I don't knit unless I'm watching a DVD so lately I've been watching DVDs (to get my knitting done) and recently enjoyed some old Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye and Cary Grant movies. (I knit slow.)
*Avatar/Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*siggy-Boulet* Avatar-Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL."~Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Snidget

Postby Maxwell Shadow » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:30 pm

I've never been very good at knitting (my mum taught me but I always forgot what to do!) but I am relatively crafty and love to cross stitch and always have several projects on the go. I've just started a small kit that was free in a magazine which will make a small mouse pincushion (but I think my cats will steal it as a toy).
Maxwell Shadow
My MC is a... Horklump

Postby Katya Snow » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm a knitter too! i'm currently combining Intarsia with Fair Isle to make a Winchester Scarf for a Supernatural Friend. it's going very well even if i've only managed the sun and the R and the E so far. but i'm going to be driving to my home town, a two day drive, and i plan to knit the whole way there and back so here's hoping i'll get it done in time for September where we'll be going to a supernatural convention in Pittsburgh. woot woot! i knit slow too but maybe if i could figure out how to hold my needles properly it wouldn't be such a pain. xD
Katya Snow
My MC is a... Horklump

Postby Lucy Brooks » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:08 pm

I cannot figure out knitting, I always mess up and make it either too tight too loose or disfigured. I prefer to sketch or do other artworks/handcrafts instead, especially when I feel too stressed up. It makes me relax, unless I cannot do it the way I want it to, then I end up more annoyed than before :cry:
Lucy Brooks
My MC is a... Abraxan

Postby Aurelia West » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:11 pm

I also prefer sketching to knitting, though I'd like to learn the latter. Whenever there is the option to draw something for a class assignment, I always pick that one. However, I don't usually color my sketches, which I'd like to start doing. Hopefully saying that will make me actually do it!
Aurelia West
My MC is a... Jobberknoll

Postby Prof. Arielle Lemoyne » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:31 pm

I also always choose the drawing option for HOL classes! I'm not an artist by any means, but I can pull off some cute cartoon animals. I haven't been taking classes lately, but I have been drawing greeting cards with animals and animal puns ("I whale always love you" "Have a bear-y happy birthday"). I have so much fun coloring!
Prof. Arielle Lemoyne

Postby Prof. Kendra Givens » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 am

I just colored a penguin picture for the penguin day forum because I have zero digital art skills. If any of you would love to create me an awesome siggie or two I would love you forever. The fact that I colored the penguin in color pencil is surprising, because I usually can't stand the uneven shading that results (have we gotten the idea that I'm a perfectionist yet?). Markers are my favorite 2D artistic medium, and I tend to color a lot of those intricate "adult" coloring pages with markers to destress. I've also been to two of those paint and sip classes, and my second painting actually surprised me how well it turned out!

PS - notice the Ravenclaw scarf on my penguin if you care to go check him out... :wink:
Prof. Kendra Givens
Professor

Postby Prof. Ryan Granger » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:40 am

I LOVE PENGUINS MORE THAN ANYTHING ON EARTH. PLEASE SHOW ME THE PICTURE OF THE PENGUIN BECAUSE I'M SURE IT'S ADORABLE AND I'LL LOVE IT.

I also can't draw. One time in I think second grade I drew a stick figure of a person and my teacher couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be an alligator or a turtle. I just went with it and told her it was both.
Ryan Granger||Professor Extraordinaire||Not At All Useless|
Prof. Ryan Granger
Head of House

Postby Prof. Kendra Givens » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Here's the penguin, Ryan..

Prof. Kendra Givens
Professor

Postby Prof. Arielle Lemoyne » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:22 pm

I went on a trip to visit an island of penguins! It was the furthest south I've ever been, at the very bottom of South America. The penguins were magellanic penguins and they lived in little burrows in the ground. I just remember it being so windy we were literally getting blown over. The penguins were adorable though!
Prof. Arielle Lemoyne

Postby Prof. Sky Alton » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:32 pm

We used to go to an aquarium that had penguins every time we went on holiday. There was one in particular that used to strut in front of the glass, waggling his tail-we decided that he was probably saying "Can you see my feathers?". So, 'Can you see my feathers' is now family slang for a show-off
Prof. Sky Alton
My MC is a... Puffskein

Postby Lucy Brooks » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:36 pm

I saw penguins at Sumida Aquarium. I actually went there by accident. I was supposed to go to Skytree and followed the students who kept talking about going there later. Only after buying my tickets I found out it was for the Aquarium. Since I bought it I just went for it. In the end because I already had my trip planned I didn't visit Tokyo Skytree, I did get a Skytree umbrella on my way to the train station though lol I always end up doing the wrong things when I space out, which is alot. Haha
Lucy Brooks
My MC is a... Abraxan

Next

Return to Below the Branches