Fun facts chain

Discussion and games lounge

Moderators: Adeline Morior, Katherine Laurier, Lex Green, Ravenclaw Staff

Re: Fun facts chain

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:14 pm

I got to visit the Tokyo Skytree with a friend of mine nearly two years ago. The view was breathtaking! Japan had always been somewhere I really wanted to visit, so I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to do so. Apart from Tokyo, we also visited Kyoto (which in some ways reminded me of Knysna in South Africa), Osaka and Himeji. The Himeji Castle was quite a sight to behold. I’ve always been interested in castles, but Japanese ones are truly fascinating.

Figuring out the transport system in Japan was quite an adventure in and of itself, but I loved the freedom and sense of accomplishment it offered. Unfortunately, in South Africa public transport isn’t exactly the most reliable, but it has improved somewhat in recent years.

One thing I love about travelling is the ability to see and experience new things. Here’s looking forward to the next trip!
Prof. Amy Lupin
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Postby Prof. Sky Alton » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:02 pm

I totally get that feeling of liberation and acumplishment. I went to the Czech republic a few years ago for a conference on Visual Impairment and it was the first time I was able to wander around a place without a sighted guide. Me and my friend just spent hours after dark exploring these ancient cobbled streets by ourselves with only the aid of our canes and her small amount of vision. I remember she was annoyed with me for wearing my woolly Gryffindor Scarf because it was super warm weather and I looked like an idiot. But I'd only just gotten it and I was stupidly proud.
Prof. Sky Alton
My MC is a... Puffskein

Postby Katya Snow » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:50 am

Wow Sky that's so brave! i couldn't imagine walking all those empty streets alone but then i'm a bit timid... and have the directional sense of a worm. i once got lost in my own hometown if you can believe that! you certainly deserve that wooly Gryffindor Scarf! and hey, what's wrong with being eclectic? i'm glad you got to have such an uplifting and liberating experience! i'm glad you can be here at Hol with us!
Katya Snow
My MC is a... Horklump

Postby Prof. Astrid Black » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:29 am

Getting lost is half the fun when going anywhere though! I can't tell you how many times I've gotten lost driving places and wind up having more fun and a fantastic story to tell afterward. Like when my friends and I went on a roadtrip and got lost in Chicago. We ended up finding this awesome little bubble tea shop that had the best bubble tea I've ever had. That and my best friends little sister yelled out the window at some guy on the street due to being hopped up on sugar. As we drove by she just stuck her face to the half-open window and yelled 'AARGGHHH!!!' The look on his face at the random event was hilarious. Good Times.
Prof. Astrid Black
My MC is a... Fire Crab

Postby Prof. Will Lestrange » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:07 am

Thinking about that bubble tea and your best friend's little sister being hopped up on sugar makes me think of how awesome sugar can make you feel when you're really out of energy!

One underrated (at least in the Western World) favourite that I really enjoy is condensed milk: it tastes delicious by itself, is a key ingredient for many types of coffee drinks, and is one of the three leches in tres leches cake!
Prof. Will Lestrange
My MC is a... Re'em

Postby Dominick Salinas » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:43 am

Fun fact about me: I'm Mexican and I hate tres leches. It's a shame because it is literally at every event my family celebrates. But its just like ... soggy :-& That being said, my favorite culturally-related dessert is sopapillas - if you've never had them they are basically fried dough covered in cinnamon sugar (which is also basically the same thing as churros but somehow different :lol: ).
Dominick Salinas
My MC is a... Flobberworm

Previous

Return to Below the Branches