Week 1 - Imagine a Dragon

Moderators: Prof. Kendra Givens, Gail Allen

Week 1 - Imagine a Dragon

Postby Prof. Kendra Givens » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Dragons are very common symbols in Chinese culture and used to symbolize the Emperor’s imperial power. The founder of one the dynasties even claimed to have been born after his mother dreamt of a dragon! Dragons were believed to be a symbol of both strength and good luck, so it is not hard to see why they would be depicted in many places.

Dragons are commonly depicted in literature, artwork, and movies in many different colors, sizes, and forms. We want to know what your ideal dragon looks like! Create an image or write a description of at least 150 words and post it below to get a piece of this week’s password for the Treasure Hunt, and, of course, earn yourself 10 beans (+5 beans if it is handed in before the 15th of July). If you would rather not share your work, please email it to ravenclawevent @ gmail.com (no spaces) with the title "Week 1 - Imagine a Dragon" and we will make sure to credit your submission!
Prof. Kendra Givens
Professor

Re: Week 1 - Imagine a Dragon

Postby Silas Hipolito Crist » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:28 pm

My submission- ideal dragon:

Password sent
Silas Hipolito Crist
My MC is a... Flobberworm

Postby Prof. Sky Alton » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:32 pm

My ideal dragon is covered in scales of a brilliant yet soft white, with the finest line of gold at the edges. Its body is slim and graceful with a very long tail, swan like neck and tightly furled wings. Its face has a short, rounded snout and large eyes (which are a deep blue with gold lids and long lashes). It has tiny horns, not unlike those on a giraffe. Its fangs are whiter than its scales and delicately curved; its tongue is bright gold. The dragon can shift its size from that of a small domestic cat to a medium sized horse according to need or mood. It is generally quite even tempered, peaceful and playful, providing nobody has riled it up. It enjoys snoozing curled up in the sun or watching the world go by through half closed lids with the occasional puff of smoke rising lazily from its snout.

Password sent
Prof. Sky Alton
My MC is a... Puffskein

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:37 pm

Password sent
Arianna Stonewater
My MC is a... Red Cap

Postby Prof. Maxim Trevelyan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:02 pm

My ideal dragon would be very small (for a dragon anyway) around the size of a Pomeranian. Its hide would be made from diamond hard scales which are of a black color with dark purple flecks in it and something that looks like sparkles, giving scales the color effect of a galaxy.

Its wings would be leathery and have small, but sharp claws at the tips, perfect for hunting food and defending itself and others. Other methods of protection would be fangs in its mouth not dissimilar to that of a vampire. It would also be able to breathe fire, the heat of which depends on its mood.

Its snout would be sharp and triangular, similar to a fox, but even more pointed. It would have serpentine eyes, either bright blue or bright orange in color, depending on whether the dragon is female or male. His tail would also have spikes, about the size of its fangs, which can fold if the dragon does not feel threatened. Its tail is long, and whip-like.

Password sent
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
My MC is a... Mackled Malaclaw

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 pm

My dragon has scales of deep sapphire and silvery wings. It has acquired the Occamy trait where it fits the size of its container. I can keep my dragon in a locket that I always wear around my neck, but most of the time it is flying and exploring the skies.

Password sent
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Postby Zen McGregor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 am

The first thing to notice about my dragon Nurrguroth is its size. Compared to other dragons it is very small, about the size of a bear. You see, he is a very young Antipodean Opaleye. What makes him very specific is his colour. Nurrguroth has got very small silver scales but densely grouped. Sometimes it's a bit problematic to look at him when it is sunny outside because his scales are extremely translucent, almost transparent. Once the light hits his wings under a specific angle, the colours of the rainbow can be seen shimmering from the other side. He does have a very long neck and unusually disproportional head attached to it. Body is not that bulky, but that makes it easier on him to fly. His tail is twice the size of his neck, with silvery-translucent shimmering spikes attached, making it a very dangerous weapon. Other than his indigo-scarlet flame, of course. Very elegant for a dragon and even more magnificent when in the air, with his wingspan of six meters (19 ft). Just look at those flapping rainbows!

Password sent
Zen McGregor
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:33 pm

My favorite dragon is a Ki-rin.
The Kirin (Qilin) is an Oriental dragon which appeared throughout Chinese literature and art. It's regarded as a good omen, also someone who brings Peace with them. The Kirin's role (and appearance) changes from China to Japan to other countries of the Orient, but generally it is regarded as gentle and wise and benevolent -- and yet is well-known for punishing the wicked. It is often shown as composed of different animals. It may have the body of a horse or ox or deer, with the head liken unto a Chinese dragon, but there are renditions where it has a single horn. It is often shown in paintings covered by flame (which is rendered in statues as looking like fish scales). Sometimes it is shown with antlers. According to Taoist mythology, even if they look rather fearsome (with the many and sharp teeth they show in their smiling mouth), they only punish the wicked, and can tell the difference between if a person is good or evil, innocent or guilty -- no matter what the facade the person presents to others.

Password sent
*Avatar/Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*siggy-Boulet* Avatar-Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL."~Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Snidget

Postby Elena Galatas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:44 am

My ideal dragon, whose species is named Adamas, looks quite a bit like the Chinese Fireball, though the color scheme is entirely different as is the fire that it breathes. Instead of a red and gold color scheme, the Adamas has a deep purple and blue gradient across its scales. The main color scheme is a deep purple color, but the veins in the dragon's wings are silvery blue when the wings are fully extended; the wingspan of my dragon stretches to about 25 feet. The fringe of spikes around the dragon's head are a lighter shade of purple, and the eyes are a brilliant shade of silver; their eyes have the appearance of melted, sterling silver. The Adamas' scales are triangular, yet wavy and layered in a spiked pattern, with a metallic shine to them. When angered small, sapphire-colored flames comes from its nostrils, and it shoots large, diamond-shaped flames from its mouth.

Generally, they weigh between three and five tons. They're one of the more aggressive species of dragons, but they're oddly tolerant of their own kind; they've even been known to share their territory with three or four other dragons at a time. Their eggs are entirely smooth, unlike their scales when older, and they are shaded with a gradient that starts dark purple and changes into a lighter shade of dark blue. When they're young, their scales are incredibly smooth, but they begin to layer and get sharper after about two years. Until that time, the young dragons are very vulnerable.

Password sent
Elena Galatas
My MC is a... Chinese Fireball

Postby Janie Peterson » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:30 pm

My ideal dragon would be a dragon whose scales are a blackish, dark greenish color. He would have a very long neck with minimal spines and a gorgeously large belly. The underside of his belly would be a rainbow green color that would bring out the dark green color in his scales. He would have ten toes on his front legs and ten toes on his hind legs. Each of the toes would have extremely sharp and thick nails on them in order to allow him to crawl on rocky terrain. He would primarily crawl on all fours, and his tale would be rather large with minimal spines. When I say minimal spines, I mean spines that aren't too spiky so that you can climb on top and hitch a ride! My dragons eyes would be yellow in color with a diamond-shaped oval as a pupil. The dragons teeth would be sharp to easily tear any prey or enemies to shreds.

Password sent
Janie Peterson
My MC is a... Puffskein

Postby Prof. Polaris Black » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Password sent
In memory of Polaris Black
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
Prof. Polaris Black
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Return to World Wonders Summer Camp