What classes is everyone taking?

Discussion and games lounge

Moderators: Adeline Morior, Katherine Laurier, Lex Green, Ravenclaw Staff

What classes is everyone taking?

Postby Prof. Alexander Brighton » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:40 pm

Hello. The start of term, one of the best times in HOL with so many fun and interesting classes to take. I managed to narrow it down to 7.

1. Dragons- Taking
2. Advanced Care of Magical Creatures- Signed up.
3. Career Advice: Planning Your Future
4. Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them
5. Muggle Studies for Beginners
6. Quidditch – The Wizarding Way
7. The Battle of Hogwarts

What classes is everyone planning on taking this term?
Prof. Alexander Brighton
Professor

Re: What classes is everyone taking?

Postby Hannah R Thomas » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:21 pm

Hey Alexander :)

I'm taking the full term classes:
Astronomy
Magic in Famous Mysteries
The History of Witchcraft

In addition to the one term classes:
Herbology
The Battle of Hogwarts (one I've been dying to take!)

Both Quidditch - The Wizarding Way and Advanced Care of Magical Creatures are both great classes! I took Advanced class a few years ago and I really did enjoy that class!
Hannah R Thomas
My MC is a... Niffler

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:09 pm

I already have The History of Witchcraft as a full year class, but I am also taking:

Career Advice: Planning Your Future
Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them
Survival (if someone will accept me into their class)
Word Magic
Maxim Trevelyan
My MC is a... Mackled Malaclaw

Postby Prof. Astrid Black » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:52 pm

I'm currently taking the year long class Norse Myths and Legends.

I've also signed up for:
Care of Magical Creatures
Career Advice: Planning for your Future
Herbology
Magical Plants: A Study of Veganism

The classes available this term are great but sadly I've already taken most of them before. Seven years of classes...I can't believe this is my last term as a student.
Prof. Astrid Black
My MC is a... Fire Crab

Postby Prof. Alexander Brighton » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:07 am

Maxim, I took Survival last term. It was a really good class.

Yes, i can see how after 7 years of classes, there wouldn't be as many classes to take that you haven't taken before.

Decided on:
Dragons
Advanced Care of Magical Creatures (once i'm accepted)
Fantastic Worlds and Where to find Them
Quidditch - The Wizarding Way

And the 5th class is still undecided.

Prof. Alexander Brighton
Professor

Postby Prof. Astrid Black » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:40 am

Survival was a lot of fun Maxim, you'll like it. As was Fantastic Worlds. I took that class a few years ago.

If you're looking for a fifth class Alex might I suggest Maxim's Treasure Hunt? It was quite fun. Or Magical Greek Mythology if you like mythologies. Puzzles 101 was also fun, though that depends if you like puzzles. Potions for Beginners was also enjoyable.

In truth I've liked pretty much all classes I've taken on HOL. You really can't go wrong.
Prof. Astrid Black
My MC is a... Fire Crab

Postby Prof. Alexander Brighton » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Thanks Astrid. The Treasure Hunt class looks really good, so decided on that one :)
Prof. Alexander Brighton
Professor

Postby Gail Allen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:25 am

It took me a long time to make up my mind - so many great classes being offered!
But I've finally decided on this list: Magical Greek Mythology, Gobbledegook, Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them, The Her in Hero and Word Magic.

I am particularly excited to finally get to take the Her in Hero: I already spotted it last term, but simply couldn't manage to fit it into the roster, and I'd promised myself to make room for it this term and now I have!

I am so glad to hear that those of you who took Survival last term enjoyed it by the way! That really means a lot to me <3
And thank you for recommending it!
Gail Allen
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:05 am

It was so hard to narrow down my choices to just 5! I love the variety of classes offered at HOL and I am so excited to learn something new with each and every class.

This term, I am continuing my Norse mythology class and I have decided to take Typography Basics, Shakespeare: An Introduction, Chinese Festivals, and Wand-Making.

Siggy and avatar made by the wonderful Professor Scarlet for Slythmas!
Vanessa Tilley
My MC is a... Fire Crab

Postby Hannah R Thomas » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:25 am

Norse Mythology is so interesting. I've learned a lot in that class and just loved the material. If you're interested in mythology, in general, there's a series called "The secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel." The author includes a vast majority when comes to various mythologies. Another good book, just on Norse Mythology, is "Tales of Norse Mythology" by Helen A Guerber
Hannah R Thomas
My MC is a... Niffler

Postby Gail Allen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:34 pm

I also did the Norse Mythology class offered here on HOL, and it is indeed great! It's well written and very informative as well as offering fun homework to do. I can absolutely recommend this class to anyone who might be interested in mythology.
I already knew a lot about Norse Mythology, and I still learned something in this class that I either didn't know before, or had forgotten about.
It is a full year class and I don't know if students are accepted for the spring term only, and at any rate, you'd miss half of it, so I might recommend starting it at the fall term, but other than that I only have good things to say about that class.
Gail Allen

Postby Khaleesia Marie Lilith » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:49 am

Hello everyone!! Just a fellow ssssnake coming to say hello and chat. The classes I signed up for this term is Puzzles 101 (which I already finished :P), HOL 101, A Visit to Diagon Alley, History of Hogwarts: The Castle, and Charms!

What is everyone else taking this year?
Khaleesia Marie Lilith
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!

Postby Gail Allen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:08 am

Wow Khaleesia that's really impressive already being done with one class. I took puzzles too before and it was really great so I do understand though how you could run through it and not wanna stop.

This term I am taking: Confronting your Boggart, Occlumency, Societies in Ruin, The Hobbit, and Magic of Forensic Science.

I took HOL 101 before, but it has gotten a major overhaul since then, so it might well be rather different now than it was when I took it. Either way, it's an awesome class to take when you are still rather new around HOL: it really gives you a great guided tour of the site and makes it a lot easier to find your way around.
Gail Allen

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Congrats on completing a class already Khaleesia, and welcome to the Roost! I think all the classes you're taking I've taken before at some point except History of Hogwarts. I remember liking them a lot. I'll have to check that one out though if it is offered again next term.

Same thing with yours Gail. We're classmates for Confronting Your Boggart and Societies in Ruin. I took Occlumency and The Hobbit last term. I think I might look into Magic of Forensic Science for next term, too. Let me know if you enjoy it or not.

Besides the two mentioned above, I am also taking Ancient Alchemy, HOL Genetics, and Philosophy in Harry Potter. Genetics should be simple because my major involves that, and I'm currently in a muggle university course titled Molecular Biology and Genetics. And the Philosophy course, Kendra has been talking about it for ages, so I had no choice but to sign up this term since I was very excited about it when she first mentioned it. I've not completed any coursework yet since I've been busy with RL classes, but I think I'm going to enjoy the classes I picked.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.” -Voltaire
Shiloh Adlar
My MC is a... Hag

Postby Gail Allen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:52 pm

I will definitely let you know what I thought of it when next term comes.

I also really had my eyes on philosophy cause I love that subject, but I felt fairly confident that it would be offered again next term, so it got pushed to then. Now I just hope I am right in that.
Gail Allen

Next

Return to Below the Branches