The Great Role Playing Blackout of 2020

Discussion and games lounge

Moderators: Adeline Morior, Katherine Laurier, Lex Green, Ravenclaw Staff

The Great Role Playing Blackout of 2020

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:44 am

Welcome to: "THE BLACKOUT" Role Playing Thread
{Participants receive 1 bean for every 10 words role played.}

Sindor's first reaction to the lights going out is of absolute excitement.

Don't get him wrong, he's "afraid of the dark" as much as the next average person who gets freaked out by that sorta thing, but that's mostly when he's clicking off the lights while walking back upstairs from a basement cellar, or laying awake at night anxiously overthinking life's worst-case-scenarios. Buuuut not so much in this situation. At times like these, Sin is truly in his element.

He conjures a dim glow to the end of his wand and makes his way to the Ravenclaw visiting lounge. Just like thunder and lightening storms in general, the power "going out" has always felt like its own kind of magic to Sindor.

Right up until bedtime, that is. Being raised in a non-magic household, the lack of electricity used to mean no fans (for their cooling wind and white noise), or audiobooks (for their generally lulling delightfulness).

Keep in mind this was well before downloading the Audible app could easily be thrown on a personal cell phone.

Sin's candle of a wand starts to flicker shadows while he makes his way to where he knows more people would be showing up, their shapes beginning to cast themselves against the walls behind them as he walks toward the center of the room where his fellow housemates are pouring in together, along with some visiting members from other circles of the castle.

It isn't that they couldn't have just used their wands to resolve some arbitrary issue, quite the opposite. They'd “turned the power out” themselves in a few specific areas. It had become a thing recently for some of them to celebrate going without their usual distractions from time to time and just "be" together. Alone in the dark, without the usual hubbub of magic mirrors, crystal balls, or book after spellbook to read/study up on. This typically is intended to happen during times of particularly inclement weather, or when the castle is sorting out some unusual difficulties. In this case, a little bit of both!

Just some good, old fashioned, quality time.

"How's it going, everyone?" he asks, feeling around for his favorite chair. "There seems to be a pretty ferocious storm going on out there!"
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Re: The Great Role Playing Blackout of 2020

Postby Prof. Sky Alton » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:50 pm

"Ferocious doesn't begin to cover it," Sky says, sticking her head around the door to the visitors lounge.
She's very glad the lights are so low, she's pretty sure her hair is sticking out in 50 different directions.
"I just went out into the courtyard to deal with some rooftiles that have been blown loose. They were cartwheeling all over the place and I very nearly joined them."
She tries to smooth out her cloak, discovering that it's swivelled round so badly that she's essentially wearing it back to front.
"I've never seen it this bad," she adds ruefully, hoping nobody will notice the puddle of rainwater she's left on the carpet.
Prof. Sky Alton
My MC is a... Puffskein

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Tarma squishes as she walks on the carpet and almost bumps into Sky.

"Why's the carpet wet?" she asks, grumbling down at her now 'wet' foot. "Why's the lights all out? What blew out the torches?"

Then she plays back what she had heard (and got knocked out of her head when she walked in water).

"Oh, hi Sky" (who is almost right in front of her and she almost bumped into). "Hi Sindor. Wherever you are ...." she added, as she glances around the room.
*Avatar/Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*siggy-Boulet* Avatar-Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL."~Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Snidget

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:26 pm

Sindor dances around, happily. “Hey, hey Sky and Tarma!” He calls out to his friends. “Over here!”

He’s readjusting some pillows on the nearby couches as he greets them, “So glad you were able to make it. Always love getting to see some of my favorite faces on nights like these. Even if many of us might be feeling a little disheveled. In one way or another.”

Sin is trying not to laugh too much at Sky fixing her robes. “You’re a saint for going out there and taking care of business!!”

He runs over to a bin where a set of towels is stored in a standalone tall black cabinet with silver doors. The towels are a deep, deep blue, and he throws one down where the floor has become wet, leaving a few more ready to be used by anyone who needs some drying off.

“There’s a set of cozy robes of this color in the same closet if anyone’s interested,” he announces to the room. “The next cupboard over will have a variety of different colored robes —canary, scarlet, emerald, and plum— for anyone looking to sport a little House/HOL spirit while they’re getting snug or warming up.”

Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Postby Prof. Sky Alton » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:33 pm

"You really do think of everything, Sin," Sky laughs, conveniently pretending she hasn't heard Tarma's inquiry about the random puddle.
She heads over to the cupboard to grab a robe, not really minding which colour it is so long as it's warm and dry. She flops down on a nearby sofa and begins surreptitiously ringing water out of her shoulder length blonde curls.
"There are advantages to horrible nights like this," she decides, peering around at the cosy lounge and smiling absently at Tarma and Sindor, "It makes you glad for the simple pleasure of sitting down somewhere warm and friendly." Lightning flashes outside one of the windows of Ravenclaw tower and she eyes it balefully. "Though the weather really is making an exhibition of itself this time."
Prof. Sky Alton
My MC is a... Puffskein

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:51 am

Tarma laughs as she follows Sky over to the robes. It's so dark that the scarlet robe looks like embers burning. After Sky takes her robe, Tarma picks up the 'embers' robe and puts it on. She's not cold, necessarily, but extra warmth is always awesome, especially with bare feet.

"Thanks Sindor" she grins. "Although - why ARE the torches all out?" She settles into a comfy chair, tucking her feet up under her, and responds to Sky's comment with "Simple pleasures ... isn't there a song called that?" as she admires the lightning playing outside.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL."~Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Snidget

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:19 pm

“From time to time we like to put the torches out and just rely on a little shine from our wands to get together in a relaxed, novel setting with different members of the castle. I always feel like it has a bit of a slumber party vibe! A few people will usually even crash in here for the night, but most will wind up returning to our own beds.”

Sindor reminisces, “Having all the lights to out was such a fun thing to me when I was younger, I love recreating that same vibe here and there when it seems appropriate. Sitting around talking, singing songs, listening to the sounds of a storm or watching through the windows when the weather gets wild and crazy. Sometimes playing a game. Hide and to seek in the dark has always been one of my favorites.”

He points his wand and waves a hand toward some of the subtle nuances of decorations that have been swapped in for the season. A few spooky and some autumnal. “Depending on the time of year, we might, say, sit around telling haunting stories or do a group reading of something like Edgar Allen Poe poetry. Really anything that brings us together to connect a little as a group without any major agenda. Appreciate some simple moments together.”
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:29 pm

Beans have been submitted to Professors Black and Alton!!

Thanks for playing along, friends! ^____^ <3
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Thank you for the Beans (and the activity). :)

The lights (and torches) are lit!

And Rohan will answer.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Snidget

Return to Below the Branches