Playing a Boardgame

Moderators: Prof. Kendra Givens, Mia Fountain

Playing a Boardgame

Postby Mia Fountain » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:52 pm

The park has tables set up to play boardgames. What board game(s) did you and your friends bring to play? Tell us about your experience playing the board game(s)? What board game(s) did you bring? Tell us in a 100 words or more.

Post about the board game(s) below by 11:59 P.M. HOL time on April 30th.
Mia Fountain
Head Student

Re: Playing a Boardgame

Postby Hannah Lovegood » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:44 pm

I would have brought my Harry Potter Clue board game to play. Each player is a person in Harry Potter who is trying to find one of the Harry Potter characters who is lost. By going around the different rooms, you try to figure out who did it and what they used. The characters who could have done the crime are mean characters or Death Eaters like Bellatrix, Crabbe and Goyle, Lucius Malfoy, Draco, or Peter Pettigrew. They could have used one of the curses, mandrake, or vanishing cabinet. On each of the four corners of the board are each of the Hogwarts houses. There are spinners that you can spin. You can get secret passages or have doors open, but you also can get the dark mark and that means you have to draw from the dark deck. But there are help cards to help you with that.
Hannah Lovegood
My MC is a... Ramora

Postby Maeve Madden » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:33 pm

This isn’t a board game per se, but it is a really fun game that is easy to learn. It’s called Anomia. There are a bunch of cards that each have a category and a shape on them. The cards are all dealt to the players face down until no cards are left. Each player takes a turn flipping over one card. If two cards on the table have the same shape, the players must say a word under the category of the other person’s card. The person who says a correct word first wins the card. The game ends when all cards are gone or the cards on the table do not have the same shapes. The player with the most cards at the end wins the game.

This is one of my favourite games, so I was happy to play it at the picnic. Any number of people can play and it’s easy to pick up on. We had a great time playing Anomia and even though I didn’t win, I had a great time!
Maeve Madden
My MC is a... Augurey

Postby Emily Spencer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:52 am

I love Harry Potter as much as the next person, but today I'm going to opt for my 'first love', namely, Doctor Who. I would definitely bring my Doctor Who Clue game, which is almost identical to the original Clue, just substitute the Brigadier for Col. Mustard and there ya go!

Oooooh, maybe I can convince Hannah to play with me! We can play a game of Harry Potter Clue and then one of Doctor Who Clue *rushes over to sit by Hannah*

I also see some tables set up for gaming, and I immediately gravitate toward the Mahjong boards. I am rather addicted to Mahjong, so this is a real treat for me. Usually, I play online, so to actually play it on a physical board is quite exciting.
Emily Spencer
My MC is a... Gnome

Postby Iverian Gnash » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:19 pm

I absolutely love playing board games and have tried out tons, but I think one of my favorites is Catan - a world-building game, so I bring this along. Many people haven't tried playing it yet, so we all get together for a round. There are four colors to choose from and I snatch up red immediately. Basically, the game begins by putting out your two houses and two roads and then rolling the dice. Depending on the dice roll, you get to pick up whatever resources your house is on. So if your house is at the corner of a hay slot with a 6, a wood slot with an 8, and a brick slot with a 2, and you roll an 8, you get a card for wood. You want to get as many provisions as possible because those provisions help you to buy more houses and upgrade those houses to the cities! Each house and city is worth a certain number of points and the person who reaches 10 points first wins!
Iverian Gnash
My MC is a... Ghoul

Postby Aurelia West » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:38 pm

I've always loved Othello since I was young, so I made sure to bring that one with me for a couple rounds. Since it's only a two player game though, I also wanted to bring something that more people could join in on. One of my friends really enjoys Blokus and whenever she brings it to gatherings we always have a great time. Last time we met up, she also brought Racko, which isn't really a board game as much as it is a card game, but it was fun nonetheless. My significant other really enjoys math and is good with numbers so he really enjoyed that one and won most rounds :) I haven't played a Ticket to Ride in a while, though I remember really enjoying it, so I hope someone's brought that one!
Aurelia West
My MC is a... Jobberknoll

Postby Silvana Mandeville » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:41 am

I don't bring any board games with me but one of my sister's friends suggested that we play Ludo since she is being addicted to the games. But, we don't have it so we decided to download the game and play it on her mobile phone after our lunch! I am sure all of you might be familiar with the games. But if you don't then I will tell you a bit. Each player rolls the die; the highest roller begins the game. Then, we play in turn in clockwise direction. And we have to get 6 to enter the play area. If not then we must pass it to the next person. It's quite enjoyable but kind of stressful when I get kicked back home :D.
Always follow your heart but
remember to bring your brain along.
Silvana Mandeville
Prefect

Return to Picnic in the Park