Week One - Task #03. - “Wicked Wood”

Moderator: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Week One - Task #03. - “Wicked Wood”

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Mon May 03, 2021 10:33 am

Walking into woods you must pass through in order to reach your destination, you clutch the troll for comfort.

Darker and darker the path becomes until you can hardly see anything around you. The trees absorb the light, along with all your happiness. A rustling of leaves continues to murmur “Better go back before it’s too late.”

You shiver frightfully.

Only now you’re realizing perhaps you’ve been turned around. Are you walking back toward the village, or on toward the mountain? Or in another direction altogether?

Frustrated, you sit down.

Then you realized the murmur was coming from your pocket, hearing it say “There’s no use just sitting there feeling sorry for yourself!”

Out pops the golden troll.

“You’re alive!” you gasp, shocked.

“Of course I’m alive.”

“But how?”

“No matter,” the troll hurries on, repeating the warning to return home.

"But I have to go, the mountain called to me."

This seemed to change the Troll's tune, who blinks and says, “If you want to get to the mountain, it’s that way.” He points, then adjusts his thick, smooth, golden belt.

“How do you know?”

“I used to live there years and years and years ago. And I don’t want to go back!” Continuing to gesture, he says, “Walk along the pine needles, never across.”

Scampering off in the opposite direction, the troll mutters something about getting back to the mantle “where it’s safe!”

Task:
Find your way out of the wood. Submit your solution for the following maze to rave.farthestaway[at]gmail.com by 11:59pm (HOL-time) on Monday May 31st to receive 25 beans. Alternatively please compose a 250 word essay on a time in your life you felt lost, weather real world or HOL persona. The Farthest-Away Mountain award is also available for completing all three tasks in week one!

{click here for larger image}
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Re: Week One - Task #03. - “Wicked Wood”

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Mon May 31, 2021 11:02 pm

Solution:
{click here}

Solved by:
Emily Spencer
Silvana Mandeville