Week Four - Task #10. - "Ring of Kings"

Moderator: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Week Four - Task #10. - "Ring of Kings"

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Sun May 23, 2021 11:29 pm

The witch lets out a furious, blood curdling roar as she topples headfirst into the Lithy Pool. Clouds of different colored smoke come pouring up and into the cabin, filling the space with a lingering and musty vapor. When it clears, her body is nowhere in sight.

“Well done,” a deep voice is heard from behind you.

Turning around, you see a dark haired man with fiercely bright green eyes smiling at you, tears brimming.

“You’ve saved us,” he clasps his hands together, as if to say thankyou while trying not to get choked up.

The briefest moments of uncertainty arises in your face until a lightbulb goes off in your mind.

“Croak!” you say, “Is it really you?”

And it is. The man explains that he’s the father of the Master of the Mountain, whose soul may finally be put to rest now that the form of the witch has been vanquished.

“You’re the magician!” you’re excited to realize, “The one who made it impossible to reach the mountain!”

He nods, confirming your statement, then goes on to talk about how he knew one day this would probably result in the demise of his son, but that he couldn’t risk the ring being found by the wrong hands, fusing the master’s spirit back together. This would have made it nearly impossible to reclaim the mountain, slowly but surely causing the surrounding areas to fall into twisted ruin.

“Speaking of the ring,” you jump in, “I’m off to go find and return it!”

“At least wait ‘til morning?” he hopes, and you oblige.

When morning comes, the man who once was Croak seems a little sad to see you go. You offer him to come along, but he’s quite certain this place will need a bit of his magic in order to get back to normal after so many years of turmoil.

It’s hard to say goodbye, but you make your way up and out of the chimney as gracefully as possible, climb down the ladder, and walk away toward the wicked wood thinking of how much you’ll miss him and the gargoyles and this place, while simultaneously gleeful at the idea of how close you are to your third and final wish. Marrying into the royal family.

You make your way back through the wicked wood much easier this time. In fact, it’s almost as if the trees are helping guide you back.

Reaching the other side, you take a long, deep breath. Taking in the smell of this local air you’ve grown with and known since you were a baby.

Something catches your eye. Looking down, a wave of further happiness washes over you as you see exactly what it is you were hoping to find.

The golden troll!

Picking him up, you wonder why he’s no longer animated, but it doesn’t take long before you’re taking a few steps into the forest.

You watch as the troll springs back to life, grumbling about how the moment he walked out of the wood he became motionless again, then quickly enthusiastic that once he reaches the other side of the wood, he expects he’ll reclaim his original form.

Of course this isn’t his real self, you should have put together sooner.

“Before you go!” you grab hold to keep him from sprinting away, “Please. May I have the ring?”

Looking down at his belt, the troll laughs. “Quite right, quite right! I’d almost forgotten.” Wiggling out, he hands the golden band to you, wishing you the best of luck with your plans. “I won’t be needing this anymore.”

“It dawned on me you must have been the one who stole the ring! May I ask,” you say before he leaps off, “who you are?”

“My name,” he says with a bell-kick and a wink, “Is Gog.”

Task:
Solve the following Cryptogram puzzle and submit the hidden message to rave.farthestaway[at]gmail.com by 11:59pm (HOL-time) on Monday May 31st to receive 25 beans. Alternatively please write 200 words on the topic of commitment. The Ring of Kings award is also available for completing all three tasks in week four!

Click for Full Size Image
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Re: Week Four - Task #10. - "Ring of Kings"

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Mon May 31, 2021 11:14 pm

Solution:
The wedding ring goes on the left finger because it is the only finger with a vein that connects to the heart.

Solved by:
Emily Spencer
Silvana Mandeville
Hannah Lovegood
Aurelia West
Mia Fountain
Maeve Madden
Maxim Trevelyan
Prof. Scarlet-Leslie Lewis
Prof. Will Lestrange
Iverian Gnash
Elysia Guerin