Task 12 - Classes

Moderators: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc, Silvana Mandeville

Task 12 - Classes

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:23 pm

Now the welcoming feast has wrapped, Professor Aloyarc makes his way over to Miss Mandville, who conveniently took the initiative with a member from each other house to not only corral the first years, but also helped make sure the group is out of the way as the rest of the castle hustles and bustles out of the hall save for a few people who remain closeby.

Sindor throws a hand around Ana’s further shoulder, giving her a one-armed hug while she blushes at his compliments of a job well done. Then he can’t help but melt as he hears the conversations of Ickles bubbling up all around him.

Flashes from two decades ago swarm to mind of his own introduction to Hogwarts Online. Should someone have told his twelve-year-old self he’d be helping to facilitate something like this all these years later … Well, it isn’t that he would’ve necessarily found it entirely preposterous, just that in his seven years of schooling he never projected himself this far into the future of what life might be like post-graduation.

Hufflepuff’s Sissy Moonstone trails off from the giddy conversation she’s been having with a handful of other newcomers about the upcoming list of classes as Sin addresses the group.

“Welcome, everyone! Happy to see we’ve all arrived safely. I hear many of you are excited to get a jumpstart on classwork for this coming term. Can’t say I blame you! Who wants to share what they’ve got their sights set on?”

Task:
In 100 or more, describe any class(es) you might be looking forward to taking this semester, and/or scheme up an idea for a class you’d love to see offered (or teach) someday! Post below by Sunday August 29th at 11:59pm HOL-time to receive 10 beans for your efforts.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Re: Task 12 - Classes

Postby Prof. Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:42 pm

This is my last year as a student on HOL, so there is that pressure that some students-turned-staff talk about when it comes to picking classes. Will you take 10 one-term ones, maybe go all-in on 5 year-long ones?

Honestly, I do not know. I took more than 55 classes on HOL during my student years and it feels as if I already took most of the classes offered each term. I see “old” classes making a return with new teachers, so I hope there will be one or two offered that have not been before that catch my interest.

Otherwise, I do not think that I will take any canon classes that I have not already taken as I will do some of them as part of NEWTs and I cannot have potential doubles on my conscience, lol.

I plan to focus more on teaching classes after I graduate than taking them, but if there will be one to catch my eyes, then I will for sure join it.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
My MC is a... Mackled Malaclaw

Postby Astor Arensin » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:57 pm

I'm hoping to pass Wand-Making this upcoming term so I can hopefully become Tarma's assistant there as well! I am also considering attempting Will's Parseltongue class once more. I'd absolutely love to take Ancient Runes, too, as I have such a fascination and bond with them, specifically the Elder Futhark runes. I wish to attempt Patronus 101 and all the "History Of Hogwarts: ..." classes.
As for ones I'm looking forward to teaching, I'm currently Tarma's Charms assistant and hope to become her Wand-Making assistant. I also have a couple of class ideas. I'm really excited about making a class for magical pet grooming! Taking dog grooming techniques and applying them to magical creatures, as well as adapting the techniques themselves to be more efficient and safe by incorporating spells, runes, the like.
Astor Arensin
My MC is a... Chizpurfle

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:32 am

I think I have taken most (if not all) of the 'cannon' courses offered by HOL Hogwarts. I've also taken quite a few more -- and have ended up usually taking my full allowed number of 5 classes per term ... :-s ... maybe since I've been here (except maybe my first couple of years as a student). There are some classes which are being offered again, by different teachers, which I will have to check into and see if I've taken them before. Also, I have heard talk of new classes being created, which sound immensely fun. It will be lovely to look and see what is offered when the class list is up come September.

This is maybe a bit strange, but it popped into my mind when I thought "What would I like to see taught at Hogwarts". Then I wondered, how could it be translated to an Arcade game? Anyway -- the class:
I think it would be so fine to have a class on Hippogriff Shuntbumps or Hippogriff Stichstock. Of course, a major amount of attention would have to be put towards the Hippogriff safety and if it wasn't feasible, then we'd have to just go back to broomsticks. But imagine a game where the last one on their Hippogriff is the winner? That could be quite entertaining and fun, both to watch and to play.
*Avatar/Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*siggy-Boulet* Avatar-Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL."~Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Re'em

Postby Harry Walles » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:36 pm

I am so happy to say that I am going to try my strengths as a full on student teacher, and not only a class assistant so there are two (possibly) classes coming up soon so you should better check them out (no pressure :D ). When it comes to my time as a student, I am unsure what classes will I end up taking. I usually look for the classes that have a looot of jigsaw tasks, so I probably continue with this. I was thinking to leave the OWL classes for a later time, so somewhere in time to have a fresh information available.
Harry Walles
My MC is a... Ghoul

Postby Louis Walles » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:53 pm

With my class Monsters in Cinema, hopefully making a return for the second time, I have two more classes that could be added to the new term list! I am super excited and really hope these will be accepted and that they will attract a lot of students because I have worked really hard on them!

When it comes to me choosing classes, I am really unsure yet so I think I will choose the classes as soon as they become available and if I see something that would really interest me I would just go for them! I can't wait for the new term!
Louis Walles
My MC is a... Sea Serpent

Postby Prof. Will Lestrange » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:17 am

One fun idea for a class that could be offered at HOL is a class based on Muggle arcade games. Each lesson could focus on a type of arcade game (or maybe an era, such as "the 1970s") - plus there might be a lesson at the beginning that introduces us to these games. Depending on what is chosen, lessons can include tips on how to play and win those games. And people might have the opportunity to play the games they learn about: either as an assignment option or as extra credit! Also, as a class project, people could find arcade games that were not discussed in the lesson and share them with the class.

This type of class would be a fun diversion for many students, which they could easily find as a welcome change of pace from essay-writing or fill-in-the-blanks tasks. To be fair, many classes already have games as part of their assignments... and those students who particularly enjoy those assignments might love to have a whole class devoted to arcade games!
Prof. Will Lestrange
My MC is a... Re'em

Postby Emily Spencer » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:47 pm

I've been a Student Teacher for a few years now, and have enjoyed teaching both classes I've inherited and an original of my own making, namely Lesser-Known Characters of Harry Potter. I'm rather proud of that one, since it's the first one I've ever created, and even though I've passed it on this term to the lovely Amy Darvill, it will always hold a place in my heart.

I've taken some wonderful classes here on HOL, but the most memorable, by far has to be *drumroll* PARSELTONGUE! It was much more challenging than one would think and I spent many a day cursing poor Will's name as I struggled to make sense of it all. But underneath the frustration, I enjoyed the challenge immensely. Even though I would never say that I quite mastered the mechanics of it fully, if I ever run into a talking snake we could have a decent conversation. Seriously, wonderful class, and if you haven't taken it already, I urge you strongly to do so.

I'm not sure what classes I'll be taking this year, but I am looking forward to both Charms and Monsters in Cinema provided they are still being offered. I will be teaching Tudors again, as well as some other classes (fingers crosssed that they get approved) so keep an eye out!
Emily Spencer
My MC is a... Ghoul

Postby Aurelia West » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:21 pm

I'm hoping to finally take Will's Parseltongue class this year! As a person that likes learning languages, I figure there's no reason I shouldn't learn the tongue of snakes. It'd definitely come in handy around the Slytherin common room, so it's absurd that I haven't taken it yet. I'd also like to finish my OWLs this year, but I don't know if I'd quite say I was looking forward to them.

For a class that I'd like to see come to fruition someday, I've been thinking about the kinesphere a lot and would love to delve into wand work and the spatial awareness required in dueling. I'm still at the gathering material stage though, so I've no idea when it may present itself.
Aurelia West
My MC is a... Jobberknoll

Postby Elysia Guerin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:31 pm

It's my first year as a student on HOL. Honestly I don't know the details of each class. I just know that HOL has many classes that interest me to join it. I have read this class before, there is Herbology and Flying.

I'm so interested in those two classes. Honestly, there's no specific reason. But I want to join Flying because this class is so interesting for me as a first year. Imagine learning about brooms, flying carpets, etc. I don't know but I feel this class would be great and fun. For Herbology maybe because I like Biology and imagine exploring just a few of the extraordinary plants that are grown in the Hogwarts greenhouses will be fun too.
—Thank you for this beautiful siggy, Silvana Mandeville.
Elysia Guerin
My MC is a... Ramora

Return to Onto & Off Again: The HOL Express