Task 3: Fame and Fortune

Moderators: Prof. Kendra Givens, Mod Squad

Task 3: Fame and Fortune

Postby Prof. Kendra Givens » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:13 am

We know that Lockhart was never actually responsible for any of the heroic acts he took credit for. He simply used memory charms to erase peoples’ memories and take credit for their wonderful ideas!

Tell us, in at least 100 words, what you would use a memory charm on someone in order to become famous for? This could be anything from an ingenious muggle or wizard invention to a groundbreaking medical breakthrough. Anything that you could make someone forget that they did to make yourself look even more amazing than you already are!

Alternatively - you could write about something amazing that you've done that someone might erase your memory to take credit for. Or maybe there was a time where someone really did take credit for something you did!

Post your story below by October 3rd at 11:59pm HOL time and you'll earn 10 beans!
Prof. Kendra Givens
Professor

Re: Task 3: Fame and Fortune

Postby Astor Arensin » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:10 am

Oh, memory charms to steal someone's fame and glory, eh? Well let's see.. Of course I'd immediately go to something relating to plants or animals, but I doubt plants would make an interesting story! While I know most best selling stories about creatures involves slaying said creature, as evidenced by our dear Gilderoy Lockhart, I could never bring myself to do such a thing, or even claim to. I'd much rather claim to save a creature, or discover a new species! I could claim to have discovered a species long thought to be extinct, I'd certainly receive much respect and interest from the experts in my field, wouldn't you agree?
Astor Arensin
My MC is a... Chizpurfle

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:41 pm

There's a movie we watched again recently where two friends go to their class reunion pretending to have invented Post-it Notes, so when first considering this question I couldn't help but hear Mira Sorvino's interesting, deep 'Romy' drawl saying "I invented Post-its."

It's just continued to make me smile, so I really do think I'd have to call dibs on that. Obviously these days there are so many options for doing things virtually, so taking notes on regular paper isn't always personally preferred for one reason or another, but I love the idea of getting to claim this simple but useful common business/household item
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:40 am

I might use a memory charm on someone so they don't remember a great thing that I've done. For one thing, what if it was a fluke, and maybe I cannot repeat it? Or if I was doing it for someone, who showed me how, but who wanted to stay in the background. Or if it was a group effort but I was just the one who was noted as the person who was in charge and/or was the public face of whatever it was.

Or maybe it is just that I don't want the attention from those who might be told about whatever happened by those who were there. So maybe it would be a conditional memory charm that those involved simply don't remember it to talk about with anyone who doesn't already know about what happened.
*Avatar/Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*siggy-Boulet* Avatar-Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL."~Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Snidget

Postby Silvana Mandeville » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:16 pm

I usually get embarrassed quickly when I'm being attention of people, especially in public. Whether it's because I did something amazing, wonderful, extraordinary, and something worthy of praise, it makes me embarrassed when people's attention is on me. I feel like I want to put on an invisibility cloak and disappear. I remembered on my birthday last month, it was Sunday and I asked a friend, "How do I erase people's memories?" Hahaha. Because suddenly people seem to put more attention on me.
Always follow your heart but
remember to bring your brain along.
Silvana Mandeville
Prefect

Postby Emily Spencer » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:34 am

Being from House Slytherin, I admittedly struggled with this one. I won't lie, it would be very tempting to use a memory charm to gain fame as a super Healer. Perhaps I could claim to find the cure to a terrible malady and have everyone praise my name in medical textbooks, Muggle and magical alike. Or perhaps, as an aspiring potioneer, it would be tempting to use the memory charm to claim credit for a certain poison antidote or a powerful potion to cure vampirism, for example. Just thinking about it makes me giddy. It's not for the money, really, but the accolades would not be unwelcome...for a time.

When it comes down to it, I am a fairly private person who has no desire to be in the limelight. I am ambitious, highly so, and I want to be the best at whatever I set my mind to do. However, I do not necessarily seek nor need praise for doing my job. So in the end, memory charm is good in theory and makes a wonderful fantasy, but I think I would take a pass on that one.
Emily Spencer
My MC is a... Gnome

Postby Elysia Guerin » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:19 pm

There was a time when I was at school, I mastered certain subjects and when the teacher asked a question, my friends suddenly turned to me as if telling me to answer the question my teacher asked. I don't know why, I'm glad that people acknowledge my skills, but on the other hand I'm very shy about being the center of people's attention. So, I will use Memory Charms to erase my friends' memories that I mastered the lesson so I can avoid the stares of those who tell me to answer every question my teacher asks. But it seems I also want to use it to erase people's memories of the embarrassing thing that happened to me :D
—Thank you for this beautiful siggy, Silvana Mandeville.
Elysia Guerin
My MC is a... Ramora

Postby Prof. Will Lestrange » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:01 am

Like Emily, I struggled a lot with this and for similar reasons: is it really worth it to use these methods just to claim to be the *first* person to do something - when, Charm or not, you would still know how to do it? I then started trying to think about flying techniques… but, again, it matters more that you can do something better than that you did it first!

I suppose it could be useful if I was interested in pursuing a specific type of Mastery: if the Mastery requirements ask you to discover something brand new in a given field: you could look for an obscure recent discovery, track down the person who made it, and Memory Charm them. But that would only work if no one else had already learned of the discovery beforehand… or if you Memory Charmed all of them too! It all seems more trouble than it’s worth… unless I went for broke and tried to make everyone forget the existence and recipe for some simple first year potion (while also destroying all evidence that this potion ever existed… but making sure to memorise the recipe beforehand) and demonstrated this “new potion” in front of a Mastery committee with a simple brewing demonstration. That would be fun, at least!
Prof. Will Lestrange
My MC is a... Re'em

Postby Louis Walles » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:19 pm

If I were to use memory charm on someone I would go with Elon Musk for many reasons. The main reason however, would definitely be the financial gain (which I know sounds awful but c'mon, he apparently earns $383,000,000 per day on average!). I would be able to afford everything I ever wanted or even more. I would have so much money that I would be able to treat any member of my family, as well as friends and even strangers. Additionally, I would be able to claim it was me who sent a car into space! I mean...c'mon that's really cool!
Louis Walles
My MC is a... Sea Serpent

Postby Harry Walles » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:16 pm

If I were to use a memory charm on someone to take credit for what they have accomplished, I would go for the hard work of Bill Gates. For those who do not know, Bill Gates is a co-founder of one of the biggest software company in the world, Microsoft. As you can expect, he is extremely wealthy. Apparently, he earns more than $4,630 per second, which sounds crazy!

The reason why I would use the memory charm on him in particular is pretty much only financial gain, because...I mean really...4k in a SECOND seems like a dream come true.
Harry Walles
My MC is a... Ghoul

Postby Lucia Dinapoli » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:39 pm

Emily already mentioned this and have to agree that being in Slytherin and striving for greatness does make this behaviour seem awfully tempting. If I was going to be unfair, I could perhaps claim to find a new magical creature, or steal someone else’s art work to pass off as my own for all of that fame and glory. I do think that if I did do this though I wouldn’t feel satisfied in my achievements, as they would not be my own, no matter how much people thought they were. I think I am the type of person to have guilt eat them up. But if I had to choose I would think it would be creature or art involved, perhaps even a discovery of a new herb…imagine being named after it…Merlin wouldn’t that be great?
Lucia Dinapoli
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!

Return to Galavanting with Gilderoy