Task 12: Having a Bonfire

Moderator: Mia Fountain

Task 12: Having a Bonfire

Postby Mia Fountain » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:37 am

Everyone is gathered around the bonfire and several scary stories have just been told. Some of the divination students have begun to stare into the flames or gaze at the smoke to see if they can see any shapes begin to form. Some students who enjoy astronomy have begun gazing at the stars overhead to see what constellations they can make out, or new ones they may discover. Some of the remaining students begin to play a game together. Which group of students do you choose to join?

Tell us in 100 words or more about the group you join and the shapes they see, discoveries they make, or games they play. Alternatively, you can draw one of the shapes they see, an unknown or known constellation, or the game you play.

Post your completed task below by October 31st at 11:59 pm HOL time to earn 10 beans. Images should be 600x600 px or less.
Mia Fountain
Head Student

Re: Task 12: Having a Bonfire

Postby Adeline Morior » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:56 am

https://i.postimg.cc/HWKJYBRC/Untitled.png

I joined the Astronomy group and we spend a great deal of our time looking up at the sky. I mentioned to the group how I always when looking up search for the Southern Cross (also known As the crux). To make sure it is the correct one I simultaneously look for the false cross and the diamond cross as to make sure I have the correct one. I use to use this all the time when doing survival camps in the middle of nowhere. The stars really sign and it help guide you. We discussed the difference between them and the stars others uses as markers to find their way.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Adeline Morior
Reserve Prefect

Postby Janne Halla » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:45 am

I’ve joined the group of divination students who had turned their attention to the cosmos above. The night sky was rather breathtaking, adorned with an array of stars, and I couldn't resist trying to find the shapes of the constellations. I’ve poor knowledge about the actual shapes of the stars, so I entertained myself that magical creatures are hiding amongst them.

I lay on the soft grass, my eyes locked on the stars. I connected the dots, crafting celestial patterns into familiar shapes. The Big Dipper's handle led me to a majestic unicorn prancing through the night, its horn glittering with stardust. A little further, Pegasus spread its wings. It was fun, if inaccurate.

Others, those among the group less devoted to Astronomy, whispered excitedly about a phoenix rebirthing itself amidst a shower of meteorites, and someone else pointed out the wings of a celestial griffin stretching across the sky.

It was quite a fun experience!
Janne Halla
My MC is a... Chizpurfle

Postby Scarlet Robloutain » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:42 pm

I decide to go to the group of divination students who are busy staring into the fire and watching the smoke rise.

As the night air fills with the sweet smell of the fire, I approach the group, curious to see what discoveries they might make and what messages they can discern.

I begin observing the smoke and fire, waiting for shapes and messages to appear. We all stay silent and focused, as if trying to pick up on the tiniest of clues that could give us an insight.

After a while, we noticed a figure forming in the fire. It faded away as quick as it came and all the students groaned in disappointment.
Scarlet Robloutain
My MC is a... Mooncalf

Postby Dibyarup James Potter » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:00 pm

I joined the group of students who enjoyed astronomy and were gazing at the stars overhead to see what constellations they could make out. Since it’s October, we were able to spot the Pegasus constellation quite clearly.

https://i.imgur.com/kwAeesa.jpg
1st Yr. Gryffindor with an aptitude for Charms, PotionsDADA | Aspiring Auror
Dibyarup James Potter
My MC is a... Doxy

Postby Lex Green » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:19 pm

I headed over to the group of students looking at the stars. We started by pointing out some of the most easily visible constellations - Ursa Major and Ursa Minor, and Orion. Then we split off into smaller groups to try and find more specific constellations, or see if we could identify any patterns that we didn't recognise. My group found Taurus and Gemini, but then we were distracted and called back to the main group. It turned out that one of the groups had seemingly discovered a new constellation! We all made a note of its position, and the students that had identified it first agreed to go and tell our Astronomy professor the following day.
Lex Green
Reserve Prefect

Return to The Fall Committee