All things Old and Vintage

Discussion and games lounge

Moderators: Adeline Morior, Katherine Laurier, Lex Green, Ravenclaw Staff

All things Old and Vintage

Postby Adeline Morior » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:39 am

So I just found out that there is a holiday celebrating all things old and vintage. Whhhhaaattt?! That is the coolest thing!

The holiday is called National Old Stuff day and is celebrated in United States on the 2nd of March. I love when something has history and can tell a story by just how it looks. From old instruments, tools, furniture to cars, clocks, watches and jewelry. Some things like maps, books, jewelry, furniture, clothes, and artifacts also gain value as they age and other things we keep just because it looks nice.

Just look at Hogwarts itself with so many old, vintage and definitely antique items and stories.

A fun fact is that there is a difference between Antique and Vintage. Not all old things are created equal. Those who study history, divide the historical items into two groups based on their age. Antiques are items that are at least 100 years old, while vintage items tend to be at least 30 years or more in age. Anything less is just old but still cool in my opinion.

Do you like these type of things or are you more of a new and improved shiny stuff person? Tell us all about it. What type of old or vintage things do you love to collect or just find completely fascinating? Do you have any? Would you celebrate this type of holiday if you could?

If you have some to show, then please show us below (No persons, names or cities please) Remember to keep any images 600x600 pixels or less.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Adeline Morior
Reserve Prefect

Re: All things Old and Vintage

Postby Hiya Debnath » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:21 am

I am a big fan of vintage collections. I have a full set of vintage coins that were used in my country earlier, prior to the coinage system changing. I also have an antique Muggle camera that I inherited, and it belonged to my great grandfather. I also love antique watches and time-pieces and enjoy studying the mechanisms by which they worked. I often dig up history articles to read about how antique and vintage machinery worked and how they slowly morphed into their current form as the years flew by. While I do not on purpose hoard anything, I tend to keep stuff instead of throwing them, hoping that my great grandchildren will come across them one day and wonder what they are. Such stuff include newspapers with interesting snippets of news, funny toys that are going out of style (mostly with the advent of video games, toys are getting replaced by video games and computer screens and soon many of our favorite toys will become antique artifacts), and DIY contraptions made by myself.
If such a day was celebrated, I would love to go to/host an auction of vintage and antique goods, selling such items, or I would visit/organize an antique show where one could show off their antique and vintage item-collections to the public. It would be fun.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.
Hiya Debnath
My MC is a... Doxy

Location: India, or wherever you can see me on the Marauders' Map.

Postby Adeline Morior » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:47 am

Hiya Debnath wrote:I am a big fan of vintage collections. I have a full set of vintage coins that were used in my country earlier, prior to the coinage system changing. I also have an antique Muggle camera that I inherited, and it belonged to my great grandfather. I also love antique watches and time-pieces and enjoy studying the mechanisms by which they worked. I often dig up history articles to read about how antique and vintage machinery worked and how they slowly morphed into their current form as the years flew by. While I do not on purpose hoard anything, I tend to keep stuff instead of throwing them, hoping that my great grandchildren will come across them one day and wonder what they are. Such stuff include newspapers with interesting snippets of news, funny toys that are going out of style (mostly with the advent of video games, toys are getting replaced by video games and computer screens and soon many of our favorite toys will become antique artifacts), and DIY contraptions made by myself.
If such a day was celebrated, I would love to go to/host an auction of vintage and antique goods, selling such items, or I would visit/organize an antique show where one could show off their antique and vintage item-collections to the public. It would be fun.

Very nice Hiya. I love the idea of your vintage coins! I also share the love of time-pieces. I myself also have an antique family sewing machine! Here are some of the things I could dig up and take photos of without moving everything around to much, (I placed my time pieces somewhere I cannot find right now o_O):

Image shows antique camera, recorder, keys, books and cassette tapes.

The idea of an antique and vintage goods event sounds like an amazing idea and I can only imagen would be so amazing seeing all the things out there.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Adeline Morior
Reserve Prefect

Postby Hiya Debnath » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:25 pm

Adeline Morior wrote:
Hiya Debnath wrote:I am a big fan of vintage collections. I have a full set of vintage coins that were used in my country earlier, prior to the coinage system changing. I also have an antique Muggle camera that I inherited, and it belonged to my great grandfather. I also love antique watches and time-pieces and enjoy studying the mechanisms by which they worked. I often dig up history articles to read about how antique and vintage machinery worked and how they slowly morphed into their current form as the years flew by. While I do not on purpose hoard anything, I tend to keep stuff instead of throwing them, hoping that my great grandchildren will come across them one day and wonder what they are. Such stuff include newspapers with interesting snippets of news, funny toys that are going out of style (mostly with the advent of video games, toys are getting replaced by video games and computer screens and soon many of our favorite toys will become antique artifacts), and DIY contraptions made by myself.

Very nice Hiya. I love the idea of your vintage coins! I also share the love of time-pieces. I myself also have an antique family sewing machine! Here are some of the things I could dig up and take photos of without moving everything around to much, (I placed my time pieces somewhere I cannot find right now o_O):

Image shows antique camera, recorder, keys, books and cassette tapes.

The idea of an antique and vintage goods event sounds like an amazing idea and I can only imagen would be so amazing seeing all the things out there.

Ohh my, that collection is sooooooo amazing. I love all the things you photographed. Thank you so much for taking the time to click these and show us. I absolutely love it. A vintage sewing machine sounds like exactly something I would like to examine. : ) But, I must admit that my favorite among these is that antique camera. What a treat. I had such fun looking at the collection. Thank you. : )
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.
Hiya Debnath
My MC is a... Doxy

Location: India, or wherever you can see me on the Marauders' Map.

Return to Below the Branches