Off to School Ravenclaw Icebreaker

Moderators: Kendra Givens, Gail Allen, Mod Squad

Off to School Ravenclaw Icebreaker

Postby Gail Allen » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Welcome to the game of Guess a HOLer!

In this game everyone who wants to partipate must send either Kendra or myself a PM with a random fun fact about themselves - like "I work hard to keep away the nargles", or "I had a nightmare where the spiders made me tapdance".
Once you have done that, you can start guessing who the latest fact is about, as well as come up with an amusing story behind that fact. You win by guessing the right person, and by having the most amusing story (No matter if it's true or not).

Remember that everything posted, both as stories and facts should be HOL appropriate and not be something that could be hurtful to the people who sent in the fact in the first place.

A new fact will be posted every other day, provided the latest one has been guessed at that point. Everyone gets one guess per day.

So to use one of the examples above:

I guess that Luna Lovegood works hard to keep away the nargles.
I think she does that because otherwise nargles would soon make a tiny nargle wizengamot and start taking over the wizarding world and demand that instead of beds, everyone needs to shift to the far superior concept of nests, so it is important to keep them away to prevent that from happening.

Scores
Tarma: 1
Gail Allen
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Re: Off to School Ravenclaw Icebreaker

Postby Gail Allen » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Person #1

This person loves the scent of coffee, but cannot drink a single drop because they do not like it.
~Prof. Gustavo Flores

Who is this person, and what is the story behind this fact?
Gail Allen

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:06 am

Gail, is that you? :)

When Gail was little, she loved exploring her grandmother's house. She wasn't old enough for school yet, so Gail was lovingly babysat by her. Due to her Ravenclaw-ish curiosity, Gail knew every nook and cranny in the house. Once, however, she found something different on the fireplace mantel. It was a small glass jar of brown candy in clear wrapping. Gail found a chair so she could reach and opened it. The most beautiful smell wafted through the air and she decided she will try at least one candy before her grandmother noticed. Quietly unwrapping the deliciously smelling confection, Gail popped the candy into her mouth. A second or two passed in horrified silence, before mini Gail spat the candy out and ran to her grandmother to give her something to get rid of the horrible taste. Ever since that day, Gail loves the smell of coffee, but can't drink or eat anything that heavily features it.
Maxim Trevelyan
My MC is a... Salamander

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:10 pm

Person #1
This person loves the scent of coffee, but cannot drink a single drop because they do not like it.

This person is Gustavo (Professor Gustavo Flores)?
How this all happened is such --
He loved the flavour of coffee until one day, while working in his garden, he accidentally put his coffee mug on the table next to the flabouritsitch plant. He knew better, but was all distracted because a bowtruckle was arguing with a billywig and he wanted to break them up before someone stung someone else and then they'd be hovering in midair and who knows what sort of mischief they'd get into. So, in haste, he set his mug down. It was filled with the most flavourful of coffee -- freshly roasted beans shipped from Gallifrey and hand ground by him in his special pewter grinder. Then sun-prepared so there was no bitterness at all -- with just the smallest drop of honey from a beehive situated next to a patch of comfrey.
However -- it had been a misty morning. There was dew on the flabouritsitch plant. One drop of dew fell into Gus' coffee cup.
Flabouritsitch dew mixed with honey synthesizes into a compound which, while not deadly, has the unfortunate result of a life-long avoidance charm of the substance it is in -- for whoever ingests it.
Yes, sadly, Professor Gus broke up the argument between the bowtruckle and the billywig and came back and slurped down a bunch of coffee and ....
*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* Avatar made by Kendra*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Ghoul

Postby Sachiko Murata » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:26 am

Person 1: This person loves the scent of coffee, but cannot drink a single drop because they do not like it.

My Guess: Prof. Zenix James.

Story: Professor James used to be a huge coffee aficionado. Expresso, cappuccino, macchiato... you name it, he loved it. In fact, he could not go through the day without drinking at least one steamy mug of coffee with four sugars and just a dash of cream.

Some of his students noticed this addiction and, naturally, decided to play a prank on him! Knowing that he would never say no a cup of joe, they devised a foolproof plan. First, they went into the Room of Requirement and prepared a Confusing Draught. Then, they purchased a latte from Madam Puddifoot's, which they laced with their freshly brewed potion. However, they were unaware that they had not followed the recipe correctly. Indeed, they had mistaken lemon-grass for scurvy-grass... and the result was catastrophic!

The unorthodox mix of magical ingredients reacted with the latte and, upon drinking it, Professor James was immediately sick. This symptom was no match for Madam Pomfrey, of course, who fixed in the blink of an eye. Unfortunately, violent nausea was only of the side effects of the wicked beverage. You see, it so happened that it actually made Professor James strongly allergic to coffee!

So, when enjoying a nice day out in Hogsmead, do not be surprised if you see Professor James staring longingly at your mocha. His yearning desire for coffee is now impossible to be satisfied, but its delicious scent never fails to seduce him.
Last edited by Sachiko Murata on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sachiko Murata
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!

Postby Gail Allen » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Tarma is entirely correct!
I love your bowtruckle/billywig argument.

Time for the second round.

Person #2

Growing up this person was an extremely picky eater and always ordered macaroni and cheese whenever they went out to eat.
Gail Allen

Postby Sky Alton » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:14 pm

I think this person is Prof. Ryan Granger. He always ordered the same thing because, to avoid his tendency to get lost in spite of all his best efforts to stay found, he decided to play it safe by going to the same place every time. Unfortunately for him, the restaurant he could always be sure of arriving safely at only served Mac n' Cheese.
Sky Alton
My MC is a... Horklump

Return to Ice Ice Breaker