Task 7 - Snowman Deterrents

Task 7 - Snowman Deterrents

Postby Gail Allen » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:55 pm

So far it has proven very difficult to catch the snowmen at their evil deeds, but the Auror's office does not want to leave people with no protection until they are able to catch the snowy miscreants. Therefore we are hoping to find ways to keep them away from our citizens until they can be caught. The Ministry has already determined that the Snowmen are deterred by fire, but it has been determined that it is too much of a hazard to advice people to have a constant fire going, especially for those who do not have a fireplace and are forced to rely on candles.
Because of the urgent need for more methods of Snowman deterrents, we are asking the population for ideas and if you have already tried them out for yourself, we want to know how they went.

Write at least 100 words about your idea and post it below by 11.59 on the 31st of December.
Gail Allen
On my way to breaking the Roost!

Re: Task 7 - Snowman Deterrents

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:54 am

I would suggest having some fire-breathing chickens (discussed by Arthur Weasley and Bob --reference Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) kept in pens (which would have to be carefully fire-proofed) in the areas where the snowmen have been detected. Their pens would have to be carefully constructed, with warmth from the bottom (so they don't get cold while outside) and yet with sufficient space between the cage bars for their own fire to reach through and melt the snowmen. Also, you would have to have a water-heater for their water so it doesn't freeze over while outside in the cold. I'd suggest mufflers for the chickens but, while the chickens apparently have an immunity to their own fire, any mufflers put on them might not have the same ability to withstand the flames. Since their flame is liken unto dragon flame, it is something which burns very very hot.
*Avatar/Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo*siggy-Boulet* Avatar-Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL."~Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
My MC is a... Snidget

Postby Prof. Sky Alton » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:54 pm

I think we should look to muggles for inspiration on how to keep the populus safe. In their quest to make a magic-less life more convenient, they've invented several devices that blow hot air. By using hand dryers, fan heaters and hair dryers at strategic points (doors and windows, say), I think we could make life rather unpleasant for the snowmen who might try to gain entry to properties. These devices have a distinct advantage over a wand casting a hot air charm as their scope is much larger and they can be left unattended while people go about their business. Of course, there are several downsides to this idea: first that they will only make life uncomfortable for a snowman, second that they are very noisy and thirdly that they aren't good for the environment. There is nothing to be done about the first drawback (unless we were to invest in muggle flame throwers or blowtorches, which would be even more dangerous than candles) but I suggest a programme whereby the Ministry offers free ear protectors to everyone in order to solve the second problem. The third can be solved by powering the muggle devices by magic (if such an advancement can be managed in time) or by using another muggle invention, the motion sensor (something like an intruder charm).
Prof. Sky Alton
My MC is a... Puffskein

Postby Prof. Will Lestrange » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:17 am

I think that fire is a good idea, but we can supplement the real fire by art and sculptures that are designed to look like fire but without actually being fire. I fully appreciate that it is difficult to keep a fire going constantly, but if we have something that always looks like fire we don't need to make all of it function as actual fire! Muggles often deter motion by shaping Muggle materials into objects called "cameras" designed to slow down or impede Muggles - but they also have the problem of it being too hard to keep all the "cameras" going all the time. So they often arrange things so that only about five or ten percent of the "cameras" actually work - and randomly change which of the ones work at any given point in time. I think we can do the same thing with our fake fire: each of us can be given a few hours out of every week when our fake fire should work as real fire - and then we don't need to worry about our portion outside of our shift! If a snowman is caught even once by these objects when it works as real fire, the rest of the snowmen won't bother trying to guess if a given fire is real or fake!
Prof. Will Lestrange
My MC is a... Re'em

Return to Sinister Order of Snowmen (SOS)