Week 1 - Task #2 | Building Trials

Moderator: Amy Smith

Week 1 - Task #2 | Building Trials

Postby Amy Smith » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:37 pm

You manage to successfully manage to retrieve the stolen item from the person, by using your amazing skills at music. You feel very confident and are sure that you'll be able to get the next item very easily or so you think. You don't waste any time and make your way to a tea shop nearby. When you open it, you find yourself almost on a mountain. When you turn around, you see that the door vanishes and when you turn around again, you see an obstacle course. You knew what this meant and were very highly scared as there wouldn't be a harness rope to help you. You also notice that there was a timer of 20 min, which meant that you had to complete it within that time limit, which made you even more scared. However, apart from that there was another catch, if you don't complete it within the given time, you would have to do it again,

You think of not doing it and finding another way around it, perhaps a loophole. Just when you are about to go back, you see a diamond necklace, just beyond the obstacle course. Which also meant that there was no going back.

You see that, there was a barbed wire crawl, monkey bars, a 6-foot tall wall, archery, cargo net, rope climb, and finally a multi-rig. You think of a strategy and tell yourself that you can do it and that you wouldn't give up.

After a minute, the timer starts, which meant that it was your time to shine....

Your task:
Your task is to write a roleplay of 300 words, wherein your character does the obstacle course. Please also state if your character managed to do it within a try or if did they do it in multiple tries and so on. This task is worth 5 beans and if you complete it by the end of this week, you get an additional 5 beans.

You have until 8th July, 11:59 PM Hol Time.

Amy Smith
Prefect

Re: Week 1 - Task #2 Building Trials

Postby Aquaria Sandalwood » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:06 pm

I can see the diamond necklace on the other side of this obstacle course, which looks quite challenging. I take a step forward to get a better look at the challenge that lies before me, and I hear a loud beep. I look over and notice that my step forward must have but me on the boundaries of the course, because the timer has started its countdown. “Well,” I think to myself, “I guess that means I’ve begun.” I quickly drop to my belly and start army crawling under the barbed wire, snagging the back of my [Look at me; I'm an idiot] even though I thought I was being careful. This first part isn’t too hard, although I’m already filthy. I have a fleeting thought, wondering when I will be able to shower next, but quickly focus my mind back on the task at hand.

I leap up and look to what’s next: the monkey bars. I wish I was in better shape. I jump up and grab onto the first bar and swing my weight so I can grab the next. About halfway through my arms start shaking, and the palms of my hands are burning, but I still am able to finish without falling off. I stand there for a second once I’ve finished, trying to catch my breath, but I look over to the clock counting down and realize 5 of my 20 minutes have already passed so I need to get moving.

The next part is a 6-foot wall. It’s completely smooth, with no footholds or anything. Standing next to it I can touch the top, but there’s no way I can just pull myself up to the top of it. I take several steps back and get a running start, climbing partway up the wall and using my weight to launch up to the top, and then I roll over and drop to the ground on the other side. I’m over! I thought that was going to be harder!

The next part is archery, and I know this is where I’m going to waste the most time. There’s a target right in the way though, so I know I’ve got the put an arrow into it to move on. I grab the bow and quiver; there are only 5 arrows. Okay, I can do this. With shaking hands, I try my first arrow, then second, then third, and completely miss the target all three times. I take a deep breath, and land my fourth one on the very edge of the target. I’m going to have to do better than that. Okay. Last arrow. I take a few deep breaths, aim, and to my astonishment, I land the arrow right in the middle of the target! It swings out to the side, allowing me to pass on to the next obstacle. I look over to the clock and see that I’ve only got four minutes left. I’m not sure if I’m going to make it.

The cargo net is next, and I keep getting my feet caught in it. I feel like I’m caught in a spider’s web, but I manage to get up it and move onto the rope climb, which is easy enough. I shimmy up the rope quickly, which is good because I’m almost out of time.

The last obstacle is the multi-rig, so I jump up and grab onto the hanging rings and try to swing myself to the next ones. I really wish I hadn’t just climbed a rope, because my arms are so tired right now I’m not sure if I can hang on. Slowly, much more slowly than I’d like, I make my way across it, and I can hear the clock in its final countdown. With seconds to spare, I launch myself off the final ring and drop to the ground, and with shaking limbs I stumble over to the diamond necklace, grabbing it from where it was hanging. “Well, I made it,” I laugh to myself. “Let’s just hope I don’t have to do any more of those.”
Aquaria Sandalwood
Prefect-in-Training

Re: Week 1 - Task #2 | Building Trials

Postby Lex Green » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:54 pm

I knew that the key to completing this obstacle course would be timing myself right - not rushing, but making sure I could complete it within the 20 minutes. To do this, I decided to split the time evenly between each obstacle - seven obstacles in twenty minutes meant 2 and a half minutes per obstacle, which also left me another 2 and a half minutes in case anything went wrong or took too long. With these timings in mind, I started the course.

On my first attempt through the course, I made good time through the barbed wire crawl and monkey bars, but got completely stuck on the six-foot wall - I hadn't even stopped to think about strategies before starting the course. I eventually got over the wall by hauling myself up little by little, by I'd lost a whole eight minutes, and couldn't get much further.

Before I started my second attempt at the course, I took thirty seconds of my time to think quickly through each activity and make sure I knew what I would do before starting, to avoid the incident with the wall happening again, and then I began.

I made it through the barbed wire crawl very quickly, in just under 45 seconds (sometimes, being short had its benefits). I jumped up onto the monkey bars and got across them fairly easily - I stumbled once, but caught myself and regained my balance - finishing them in another minute. Then I reached the wall again. I used the same strategy as before, edging myself up the wall a tiny amount at a time, until my hands got to the top, and I could pull myself up, which I knew would take longer than I wanted, but was probably the most sensible option. I fell down once, but managed to get back up and over the wall in three minutes.

I moved on to the archery part of the course. I wasn't the sportiest person, but I did normally have good aim, and while it took me a few tries to get the balance right, I hit the target on my fifth arrow, moving on in another two minutes. I scrambled under the cargo net and was out the other side in one more minute, meaning I was only two obstacles from the end with over half my time remaining.

Now, I was on to the part of the course that I hadn't reached in my first attempt, and since I had enough time left, I forced myself to slow down a little and take a moment. When I was ready, I started the rope climb. It took quite a large chunk of time, and several friction burns on my fingers, but eventually, after five minutes, I completed the climb and could move on to the last obstacle, the multi-rig. My arms were aching a lot from the wall, monkey bars and rope climb, but I forced myself to jump up and grab hold of the first swinging ring. I still had around seven minutes left, so I took my time, swinging from one ring to the next fairly slowly, but fast enough to maintain the power of the swing, and after another five and a half minutes, I had made it, and swung from the last ring right to the ground in front of the necklace. I picked it up, breathing heavily, but smiling.
Lex Green
Reserve Prefect

Return to A Woodside Mystery