Week Two - Task #08. - “Messy Magical Maladies”

Moderator: PiTs

Week Two - Task #08. - “Messy Magical Maladies”

Postby Aquaria Sandalwood » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:32 am

Things keep getting stranger and spookier. You are once again back in the Haunted Hallway, and looking around, you can't tell what you should do or where you should go next. You can faintly hear the bride's cries, as well as Peeves' maniacal cackling, echoing down the hallway, but you cannot tell where they are coming from.

"Excuse me! You there, excuse me!" you hear from behind you.

Spinning around, you see a portrait that has someone in it! An older looking witch dressed in a bonnet and robes that look like they're from at least a few hundred years ago peers out at you, beckoning you closer. She looks familiar, but you're not quite sure of who she is.

"Hello. Er... who are you, if you don't mind my asking?" you ask, hoping that you don't sound rude.

"I am Dilys Derwent. I was once the Headmistress of this school, but I was also a Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, which is why I'm here, and I need your help. Hold tight!" she replies, and suddenly the room is spinning around you, and when it settles you are in the Hospital Wing. At least, that's where you think you are, because it looks different. The lighting is strange, everything is spooky and creepy, and there is also a huge mess. Bottles and phials containing healing potions and treatments for different magical illnesses are upturned and strewn about, and you can hardly tell where or what any of them are!

"Peeves came through here with that poor girl," Dilys says, shaking her head. "I can't tell where they went with this mess obscuring any clues. I need you to help me put them back where they belong so we can track them back into the hallway to see where they went next!"

This is quite the task, you think to yourself. Hopefully I can remember what I learned about healing potions in Potions class.

Task:
Help put everything back in order so you can see where Peeves took the bride next! Answer the questions below by matching them to the correct answers, also listed below. Your answers should look something like this (but not exactly like this, these are NOT the correct answers:
1. B
2. D
3. A

Alternatively, research and write 100 words or more on any disease and its treatment.

Send your answers to me AND Prof. Sindor Aloyarc in a private message. This task is worth 15 beans with an additional 15 beans available if all Week Two tasks are submitted by September 30th by 11:59 pm (HOL Time)

Questions:
1. Which potion cures the common cold, and has a common side effect of causing steam to emit from the drinker’s ears?
2. What can be mixed with powdered silver in order to seal Werewolf bites?
3. Which healing potion can mend broken bones, or even regrow whole bones?
4. What healing potion can soothe painful cuts and abrasions?
5. What can be used to restore those who have been transfigured or cursed to their original state?
6. What potion can be used to relieve the symptoms of lycanthropy, or werewolfry?
7. What is commonly used to help clear up acne?
8. Which potion can be used as an antidote to Draught of Living Death?
9. What can be used as a powerful antidote to the chilling effect of Dementors?
10. What can cure most poisons?

Answers:
A. Wolfsbane Potion
B. Skele-Gro
C. Bezoar
D. Wideye Potion
E. Pepperup Potion
F. Murtlap Essence
G. Chocolate
H. Mandrake Restorative Draught
I. Dittany
J. Bubotuber Pus