Info // Questions \\ Joining

Moderators: Mia Fountain, Prof. Sindor Aloyarc, Lex Green, Amy Smith, Anne-Marie Gagne

Info // Questions \\ Joining

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:10 pm

"BBO 2023: Piercing the Nests"
Which nest (each representing one side the famous Quidditch rivalry) shall claim their medal over this year’s Blue Bronze Olympics, the Appleby Arrows or the Wimbourne Wasps?! Opposing teams will move through a set of challenges designed to test an array of skills and characteristics to determine who the rightful champions truly are.

Organized by:
Mia Fountain, Amy Smith,
Anne-Marie Gagne, & Lex Green,
with Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Timeline:
November 3: Week One Posted
November 10: Week Two Posted
November 17: Week Three Posted
November 24: Week Four Posted
November 30: Everything Due

Up For Grabs:
• As many as 600 beans/sapphires & up to 3 shinies spread over 16 tasks! (10 beans/sapphires per task, 10 bonus beans/sapphires each week for submitting all four tasks over any given week. Total doubled at 8 tasks, then tripled at 16).

• The Abounding Arrow award: Image
For completing 8 tasks.
• The Worthwhile Wasp award: Image
For completing all 16 tasks.
• The BBO Blue Medallion award: Image
To all Abounding Arrow or Worthwhile Wasp award recipients from the Appleby Arrows in the event they become the triumphant team.
• The BBO Bronze Medallion award: Image
To all Abounding Arrow or Worthwhile Wasp award recipients from the Wimbourne Wasps in the event they become the triumphant team.

Join in:
This is a castle-wide activity. Post below expressing your interest in joining BBO and we'll add you to your Quidditch Team!

** Appleby Arrows: **
Adeline Morior
Janne Halla
Evie Figg
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Artemisia Thorne
Prof. Sirius Fudge
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Prof. Will Lestrange
Aurelia West

** Wimbourne Wasps: **
Dibyarup James Potter
Silvana Mandeville
Maeve Madden
Viviana Kingston
Scarlet Robloutain
Kenz Eternal
Katherine Laurier
Lara Westbrook

Proceed to the Activity Introduction, Tasks, or keep track of your progress with the "Piercing the Nests" Spreadsheet!

QUESTIONS may be posted below or sent via Private Message to any of the organizers. Please include the task organizer AND myself, Prof. Sindor Aloyarc, on any and all private submissions or inquiries to assist with activity tracking.

Questions might include:

How late can I start participating?
You may join in at anytime, however everything is due by Thursday November 30th at 11:59pm (HOL time).

Is AI acceptable to use for completing tasks?
In the case of writing assignments, this means you cannot submit text generated by an AI/ML tool and claim it as your own. Everything you submit must be written in your own words.

In the case of artwork, graphics that are purely AI/ML generated are not permitted. As many graphics on HOL rely on source material that you do not create yourself (such as stock images and elements), we can’t prevent you from using AI generated art as part of a graphics submission but you must have altered, added to or manipulated the source material in some way to create a graphic. This is exactly the same approach we would take with photographs that were not directly taken by you.

From the “Use of AI Tools at HOL” post on the main forum.

Which Team will I be on?
Members of Ravenclaw are already divided into two nests (blue and bronze) here at HOL pending the first letter of their name, while participants from the other three houses will be split up to make things fair based on the order they join, creating as close to even numbers between teams as possible.

How is the winning team determined?
Active members of both groups will have their beans totaled for the given week, then averaged, then halved, resulting in the team’s number of Quaffle Goals over that quarter, which will be combined over the course of our activity, resulting in your team total. Total scores are rounded up, and are subject to change should someone go back to submit tasks from prior weeks. Up to 25 quaffle goals are available to both teams each week, for a total possible score of 1000. Team Scores DO factor in weekly bonuses, but do NOT include extra beans/sapphires which have been doubled or tripled.

Why are there tasks missing?
On posting days of any given week, Organizers will present their own tasks as schedules allow. Tasks will be numbered to maintain the general order for tracking, however will not necessarily be posted in this same order. If you aren't seeing something, check back a little later and you should be good to go!

Why are my tasks not up to date or correct on the spreadsheet?
Please allow for a full 48hr to pass before reaching out to the organizer in charge of said task asking about something that’s remained undocumented in the spreadsheet. If you’re noticing an error, feel free to reach out at any time. Something like bonus beans not being added yet, for example, can go unnoticed at first (especially if someone was a bit focused on updating their own tasks), and will usually get caught by end of week, but you can always touch base to be sure.

Why are team scores not updated as each task comes in?
Tracking and updating official team scores will happen regularly, but please note that an organizer may input someone’s work as an individual at one point, with the team score being updated later. If you feel data has been sitting there for 48hr without a correctly updated team score, go ahead and reach out. Otherwise, please be patient. We will do our best to maintain things without too much delay in between.

What if I can't (or don't want to) do a Task?
If accomplishing parts of this activity becomes impractical or undesirable for any reason, please feel more than encouraged to ask for an alternative if one hasn't been provided, suggest something, or skip that section altogether. Our goal is to have fun! We simply wish to support your most enjoyable experience.

How do I post Graphics?
A few popular Image Hosting sites are Postimages, Imgur, and Imgbb where you can upload your work, the locate a direct link toward sharing elsewhere. The “BBCode” to attach on The Roost forum submissions (which can be accomplished automatically for you by the click of a button from options at the top of your editing page) is [*img][*/img] with url in the middle (i.e. [*img]link[*/img]) — NOTE: You would remove the asterisks (*) in order for this code to be successful. They’re added here to display the example effectively. Images imbedded directly into posts must be kept within 600x600 pixels.

Can I come and go as I please?
Absolutely! There are no rules against passing over anything you're not interested in, or doing tasks out of order. No pressure at all.

Do I have to post submissions to the forums?
While we love seeing people posting/interact together should that be their preference, if you would feel more comfortable turning in some or all of your work via private message where prompted otherwise, that's perfectly fine!
Last edited by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc on Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Re: Info // Questions \\ Joining

Postby Adeline Morior » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:12 am

I would like to join please.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Adeline Morior
Reserve Prefect

Postby Dibyarup James Potter » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:03 pm

I would like to join, please. :o
1st Yr. Gryffindor with an aptitude for Charms, PotionsDADA | Aspiring Auror
Dibyarup James Potter
My MC is a... Doxy

Postby Janne Halla » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:57 pm

I'd like to be put on a team, please. :)
Janne Halla
My MC is a... Chizpurfle

Postby Silvana Mandeville » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:16 pm

I would like to join, please.
Always follow your heart but
remember to bring your brain along.
Silvana Mandeville
Prefect

Postby Evie Figg » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:56 pm

I'd love to join, as well!
Evie Figg
My MC is a... Ramora

Postby Maeve Madden » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:50 pm

I'd love to join! Count me in
Maeve Madden
My MC is a... Augurey

Postby Artemisia Thorne » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:29 am

Count me in!
"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
Artemisia Thorne
My MC is a... Puffskein

Postby Viviana Kingston » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:42 am

I’d like to join please as well!
- Viviana Kingston
Carpe Librum
Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
Viviana Kingston
My MC is a... Diricawl

Postby Scarlet Robloutain » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:29 pm

I would like too join too!
Scarlet Robloutain
My MC is a... Mooncalf

Postby Kenz Eternal » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:25 pm

I’d like to join please!
“Happiness can be found in even the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
Kenz Eternal
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!

Postby Katherine Laurier » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:03 pm

I would love to join!
Katherine Laurier
Reserve Prefect

Postby Lara Westbrook » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:15 pm

I'd love to join please
Lara Westbrook
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!