Activity Introduction

Moderator: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Activity Introduction

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:44 pm

This activity is inspired by/loosely based around “Anastasia,” the animated musical fantasy drama, about an amnesiac orphan who hopes to find some trace of their past.

Originally produced by 20th Century Fox, there has long since been confusion that this wasn’t a Disney film, given how much it can fit within that universe for so many. Since the distributor was eventually purchased by the Walt Disney Company, it has only compounded people’s conviction that Anastasia was always a part of their repertoire. I have certainly never been immune to this sentiment, but distinctly remember my sister being supremely irritated when people made that assumption back in the day.

You’ll find that the general atmosphere of Once Upon a December doesn’t follow the story as presented, but rather pulls characteristics, themes, and elements within a brief and altered version, using lyrics from a same-titled, featured song from the show to represent each section.

For those who have never experienced the movie, it holds a particularly affectionate place in my heart ever since its release in 1997, just a day after my ninth birthday. My hope is that you’ll have fun venturing along these tasks with us, but also that you might revisit, or perhaps enjoy the magic of Anastasia for the first time yourself.

Thank you for your participation!
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Return to Once Upon a December