Week Three - Task #10. - “Glowing Dim as an Ember”

Moderator: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Week Three - Task #10. - “Glowing Dim as an Ember”

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:44 pm

The Dowager Empress, who had moments ago seemed so tender, rose up to a greater height than you would have expected from her, calling out a command for her royal court to take their positions.

Each of the polar bears surround the room in a variety of both offensive and defensive stances, their lustrous, multicolored wings set to attack, adding a pulsing radiance to the moonlight.

“Well, well, well,” Ghastputin wheezes out a voice you can only describe as demonic while his many, monstrous henchmen squeal and caw, lashing out with their tongues and their claws. “It seems you’ve all but run out of time.”

Holding up a glass, cylinder object filled with glowing emerald papers spinning in circles like a tornado, you know at once this is the unholy reliquary that has empowered the evil sorcerer’s return and affords him the ability to claim ownership of these lands.

But the sight of Ghastputin’s face lit up by the dazzling reliquary invokes another kind of magic within you. The power of your memories long forgotten.

The unseen pursuer on the train was him. It was he who had chased and pushed you. He who had caused you to forget who you were and all recollection of your family.

You recall this same cursed tornado being wielded on you as a child, surrounding you in jewel bright smoke that made you cough and splitter as Ghastputin cast spells of confusion and concealment to keep you from being found.

“It’s me!” You shout to the Dowager Empress, not fully understanding your own words as you press on. “I’m the heir you’re looking for!”

Her eyes find you —as do everyone else’s— where you’ve still been lying on the ground. A flicker of uncertain recognition etches across her face.

Ghastputin howls a shriek of delight.

“It’s not going to be that easy,” he splutters between explosions of hellacious laughter, pointing a gnarled finger upward where his spellwork shoots.

Threatening cackles raise to a painfully high pitch as the room begins to shake violently.

Small bits of the ceiling start to break away and fall in hot chunks through the entire grand hall, glowing a deep reddish-orange. Like embers from a fire, they burn whatever they touch as they land all around the room.

Task:
Help the polar bears calculate dodging the burning chunks of falling ceiling by solving the following Math Squares puzzle and Send Me Your Solution through a private message!

{click for full size}

Alternatively you may dodge your way around the roost by contributing a new Forum Post around the common room, using 100 words or more to help spark up conversation and encourage engagement. Replies to other people’s posts will not be counted. Please post your link below for credit!

This task is worth 15 beans/sapphires, with an additional 15 bonus beans/sapphires for completing all Week Three tasks by end of activity. Deadline is 11:59pm (HOL time) on Thursday December 21st.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Re: Week Three - Task #10. - “Glowing Dim as an Ember”

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:24 pm

Solved by:
River Fenwick
Artemisia Thorne
Viviana Kingston
Lex Green
Scarlet Robloutain
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Postby Dibyarup James Potter » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:43 pm

My thread called "Your Most Favourite Christmas Dish" in the Icebreakers subforum:

https://forum.roosted.org/viewtopic.php?f=399&t=13224
1st Yr. Gryffindor with an aptitude for Charms, PotionsDADA | Aspiring Auror
Dibyarup James Potter
My MC is a... Doxy

Postby Evie Figg » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:29 pm

Here is my forum post, titled "What's your winter aesthetic?":

http://forum.roosted.org/viewtopic.php?f=399&t=13225
Evie Figg
My MC is a... Ramora

Postby Adeline Morior » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:56 am

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Adeline Morior
Reserve Prefect

Postby Prof. Sindor Aloyarc » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:56 pm

Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Deputy Head of House

Return to Once Upon a December