Online vs. Traditional Board Games

Debate Club

Moderators: Prof. Kendra Givens, Prof. Alexander Brighton, Aquaria Sandalwood, Ravenclaw Staff

Online vs. Traditional Board Games

Postby Galena May » Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:33 pm

Checkers, mancala, chess, monopoly, business, Scotland yard, ludo, cluedo there are so many fascinating board games popular across the world. Besides in-game skills and drawing parallels to life lessons, these games can serve as a source of entertainment and time-pass and a means of bonding. Many of us enjoy board games.
Traditional board games can require a bit of maintenance to use and store long-term. I had lost innumerable bank-notes from my Business board game and replaced them with hand-made paper currency during my childhood board game sessions. I had broken a chess knight as a kid and lost a few pawns. As I grew up, I became more careful, and learnt better maintenance, keeping my board games preserved neatly and right back in place after every use, but I have also simultaneously lost the novelty of having enough people with common free time to play with me. But, all in all, I find the traditional way of playing board games with a physical board and face -to-face with the other players more fascinating than the online versions rapidly cropping up. The novelty of actually seeing each other's expressions as they play, the nostalgic feel of holding the board and tokens in my hand, and joking about each other's moves during the game and simultaneously munching on snacks, always create my fondest memories. I truly find such moments unbeatable in terms of bonding and quality time spent with family and friends. There is probably even a 90's kids feel to it for those who understand me.
With the advent of the internet, and the fast lifestyle that we are rapidly getting accustomed to, most people barely find common free time to actually physically go to a common location, sit together, and play. I am guilty of it myself. Online versions of most board games have cropped up, and now we often play on our devices, because it is easily accessible, hassle-free, no need to maintain a board and tokens, no need for physical gatherings, and we can even play with random online strangers or long- distance friends. It can indeed be a very easily accessible and much quicker alternative to traditional board game gatherings, in my opinion, but I still feel that nothing beats the joy and novelty of physically playing a board game in the traditional way.
I am eager to hear the opinions of those who come across this debate thread. Please do share your thoughts on this. :D
Galena May for you, a first year witch student at Hogwarts. Say hi if you see me.
Galena May
My MC is a... Doxy

Location: Of course, Ravenclaw Common Room, and Hogwarts Castle.

Return to Bird to Differ