Debate: Would things be different if Harry was a Slytherin?

Debate Club

Moderators: Prof. Kendra Givens, Prof. Alexander Brighton, Amy Smith, Ravenclaw Staff

Debate: Would things be different if Harry was a Slytherin?

Postby Aquaria Sandalwood » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:42 pm

We all know that Harry Potter was sorted into Gryffindor, but according to the Sorting Hat, he would have done equally well in Slytherin, and was only put into Gryffindor because of his own wishes.

So the question is, would the series have been any different if Harry had been sorted into Slytherin instead? Would he have had different influences, friends, enemies, and adventures? Or would his underlying character have kept things the same? Would he still have gone to battle with Voldemort and won? Or would there have been an entirely different outcome? I'm interested to know what you think and why!
Aquaria Sandalwood
Prefect-in-Training

Re: Debate: Would things be different if Harry was a Slyther

Postby Adeline Morior » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:56 am

There is a saying that the greatest potential for good also have the greatest potential for evil. I think there likely could have been a possibility for harry to have used his tragic upbringing as an excuse for doing bad things had he been influenced so with the wrong people. He would not have had the friends he had to help steer him into his bravery and goodness and could easily have related too easily to the connection he had, but did not understand yet, between him and the dark lord.

That being said. He did however grow up in a home that forced humility and patience on him. Giving him a greater tolerance toward horrible behavior. People such as Dumbledore, McGonigal, Snape and Hagrid, did keep a close eye on him and would surely have did hat they always did in his life, give advise and lead by example. Ultimately Harry just wanted to know more about his parents. Having known their bravery and goodness would have likely had him end up where he ended up all along. What helped him most in his life wasn't the house he was but the people he encountered along the way.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Adeline Morior
Reserve Prefect

Postby Rose Dove » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:51 pm

I do think the series would have turned out differently as a whole. I agree with Adeline that Harry Potter the character would have ended up in the same spot because the same people (adults at least) would have been looking out for him. I think the other characters might have gone to different houses as well if Harry was a Slytherin. There are examples, few though they are, of Slytherins who did not turn out to be evil villains. As much as being in a specific house might have influenced him, he had so many other sources in his life that were pure good to balance out any potential negativities.
Rose Dove
Prefect-in-Training

Postby Hiya Debnath » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:28 am

In my opinion, if Harry was a Slytherin, things could be different, because Harry would have a different set of friends, no Hermione and Ron, be surrounded by pure-bloods like his own father, and he would never see the other side of the coin (such as getting to know Hermione Granger, a Muggle-born witch so closely). I would safely argue that Ron's kindness and Hermione's bravery and intelligence had a big influence on Harry, and played a role in shaping him the way he was. After all, company matters.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.
Hiya Debnath
My MC is a... Doxy

Location: India, or wherever you can see me on the Marauders' Map.

Postby Atticus Felos » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:46 pm

Hmm, I think this is a good question. I believe Harry as a person, would have still grown to be the great person he became regardless of which house he was in. I believe Professor Dumbledore purposely and for more than one reason, left Harry to be raised by the Dursley's (other than the protection spell that was used). He was raised (Not purposely) almost like a servant to his family, had very little to his name, was not greedy or spoiled. He was just a typical innocent child with a big heart. I believed he wouldn't have befriended Draco and his pals, he probably would have found a good lot within Slytherin, or even with other houses? But Like i said, i feel his path would have still been about the same, just with a different group.
Atticus Felos
My MC is a... ACK! It ran away!

Return to Bird to Differ