Does the four house system work?

Debate Club

Moderators: Prof. Kendra Givens, Prof. Alexander Brighton, Amy Smith, Ravenclaw Staff

Does the four house system work?

Postby Lex Green » Fri May 24, 2024 3:16 pm

As we all know, Hogwarts sorts students when they arrive at 11-years-old into four houses, based on their qualities and values. These houses form the framework for a lot of their school lives, with most students forming better friendships with those in their houses, and spending little time with others. However, this means groups of students who are very similar are spending time with each other, and not other types of people. Also, some people will change as they get older - is this accounted for in the magic of the sorting hat, or would a child who walked in with mainly Gryffindor qualities be stuck, even if their personality evolved as they grew up to be more of a Hufflepuff?

Do you think the house system works? Do you think its benefits outweight the negatives, or would you change it if given the chance?
Lex Green
Prefect

Re: Does the four house system work?

Postby Viviana Kingston » Wed May 29, 2024 6:26 pm

I do think that the house system works because it gives a sense of belonging. As children and teenagers grow up, they want to fit in and want to be a part of a group and the houses give them an opportunity to mingle with people they could relate with. I do think that the sorting hat accounts for evolving personality traits, because if we're honest, all the houses have overlapping traits. Perhaps it's which traits take up more a person's personality that comes into play. Like the Myers-Briggs personality types, a person may have traits they relate to, but it doesn't mean they can't fit other personality types as well. Like the Gryffindor evolving more Hufflepuff traits, doesn't necessarily mean they don't retain or value what they used. I feel no matter what house one is in, it's more about finding qualities that you share in others, even if they're in other houses. And while you may not necessarily spend time with other house all the time, there are many opportunity like during class and extra curricular activities and clubs where other houses can mingle. While I feel I wouldn't want to remove this system, I would improve it by allowing everyone the option annually to renew their houses, like a pledge. And if someone feels they're suited for a different house for valid reasons, they could have a probation period (similar to our squibs but not quite) and if they assimilate well with the house, then they become an official member. Because even if we take out the sorting hat system, people will still create their own groupings, it's innate human nature. With the houses, there's controlled rivalry, without house, it's uncontrollable.
- Viviana Kingston
Carpe Librum
Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
Viviana Kingston
My MC is a... Clabbert

Postby Janne Halla » Fri May 31, 2024 7:03 pm

I'll disagree here and say that the house system doesn't work.

First, it sorts students based on personality traits at the age of eleven, a time when their characters are still developing. This can pigeonhole children into specific roles and limit their personal growth, as they might feel pressured to conform to their house’s stereotypes.

Connected to this, I don't think the house system accounts for individual differences and changing interests. A student sorted into Gryffindor for bravery may also possess qualities valued in other houses, such as intelligence or ambition.

Secondly, the system fosters an unhealthy level of competition and rivalry. The intense inter-house competition, particularly in Quidditch and the House Cup, often leads to hostility and division among students.

Furthermore, the house system can perpetuate prejudices and biases. Houses like Slytherin are often stigmatized, leading to a negative perception of its members. This can affect students' self-esteem and relationships with peers from other houses, creating an environment of exclusion rather than inclusion.

Would there be any better alternative? Probably not, but better to have no system at all than one with many drawbacks.
Janne Halla
My MC is a... Chizpurfle

Postby Galena May » Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:54 am

I think it does. The four houses embody perfectly the personality traits that would determine the way a student approaches competition in an academic or career- oriented way. The way a person feels most comfortable in their environment determines how well they will do when learning something new. It's like flocking birds of a feather together. For a few examples, Gryffindors would be most productive surrounded by optimistic and brave people, if they were put in the dungeons, they would spend their whole day preventing bullying, instead of studying magic, and, similarly, Slytherins would be quickly bored in the uprighteous environment of the Gryffindor common room and feel inclined to bully some people, instead of focusing on their ambitions. Like fuels like. Too many conflicting personalities can lead to too much chaos and less productivity. The chaos is best left for collective learning environments such as the classrooms and for chance meetings in the corridors.
As for other personality traits that the four house system do not encompass, those traits are not really relevant to schooling and education, and matter more in other family/friend environments. Those traits are nurtured anyway, irrespective of the house they are put in. Focus on the traits which determine educational efficiency is to be given a majority of a student's time during schooling.
Galena May for you, a first year witch student at Hogwarts. Say hi if you see me.
Galena May
My MC is a... Flobberworm

Location: Of course, Ravenclaw Common Room, and Hogwarts Castle.

Return to Bird to Differ